close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finding a used bike....

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by emt1581, Mar 30, 2006.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

What's the best way to find a good used bike?

I know the bike I want, but I don't see any sitting in driveways with signs on them.

As a matter of fact, there's only one bike around here that is for sale in a driveway.

I'm curious if there is any search engine type site or any other source that would be good to look at?

*goes to check the classifieds in the local paper*

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. BikerRN

BikerRN

To find a certain used bike I would look in the following:

Local Paper
    Cycle Trader
    Dealer's Used Bike Section
    Mechanic's Billboard

Just keep your eyes and ears open and when you go to look at a bike don't be afraid to walk away.

3. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

What kindof bike are you looking for?

Unless it's a rare model, like a '48 Indian or Excelesior or something, you should be able to find it in the local Cycle Trader. Like BikerRn said, there and the dealer's used bike section are probably your two best bets!

4. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

look on ebay and search for locals only so you can check em out before you bid..

5. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

I got both my bikes used, and was looking for the specific model that I found (didn't care about year). Took a month or two to find each, only wanted excellent condition and fair market price. Got one on Cycle Trader and one on Ebay, both were within 15 miles of my home, and I live out in the sticks.

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm looking for a sport bike from 1999-now for under $1,000.

I checked the classifieds, looked around the net, and drove around town...not a damn thing!:(

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

7. OldMan1

OldMan1

Cycle Trader and Craig's List (sp?)
    Also consider joining a forum revolving around the bike you are looking for and ask there. Best wishes.

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I always hear about guys gettin bikes for a few hundred bucks in decent shape...

Around here people ask a grand or two for junky POS.

What's goin on here!?

I checked craig's list, and same thing happened!...people are asking 3 and 4 thousand for a 20 year old rice rocket with low cc's .

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

9. OldMan1

OldMan1

You can often save considerably on a 1-3 year old bike vs. a new one, however afteer abouy 8-10 years, the prices seem to flatten out.
    Much of the nation has had a mild winter and many have "Spring Fever" for a bike. The best deals I've seen for what you are looking for, are around college campuses just around the time school ends. If there's one near, check the campus newspaper. You may even be able to do it online if you aren't real close.
    Also, always remember that there is a difference between "asking and getting!" Good luck.

10. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

If you're expecting to pay under $1k for a 6yo non-wrecked sportbike, you may be in for a very long wait indeed.

11. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Oh it could be a 10-15 year old sport bike for all I care, if I said i wouldn't take anything more than 6 years old, I didn't mean that.

Thanks

-Emt1581

12. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

Finding a decent bike for under $1k is not going to be easy. I'd raise your price limit a bit and you'll have a lot better luck with available supply.

This is how I got my first bike, so it may work for you. I think you're in the SE PA area as well. In 1995 I got my 1982 Yamaha Seca XJ for $1,100 with helmet (Shoei RF200) and saddlebags. It had 9,000 miles on it at the time and wasn't too pretty cosmetically but it ran great.

At the time (1995) the internet was a lot less popular than it was now. I found the bike off a USENET (remember that?) posting on upenn.forsale. It was a college student who was selling his bike. Nice guy too.

Nowadays, I don't know if anyone still uses USENET groups, but check the Penn, Drexel, Temple and other local school .forsale listings. I would also see if the school papers are online, although from what I remember the Penn paper (the Daily Pennsylvanian) didn't have classifieds.

Best of luck. Didn't you have a moped or something?

13. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have a moped. It needs to have the carb. cleaned out, but no one wants it. It's had a bunch of new things done to it, so it would run perfectly, and did for me for a few years. I was only asking like $150 for it and still no takers, although several people looked at it.

Good memory;)

-Emt1581

14. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I'll agree with some other posts in that I think you're price range is too low for the bike you're looking for. I bought a
    1981 Kawasaki KZ 550 last Sept. for $1,900 (6700 miles, excellent condition). With gas prices the way they are, it's hard to find a good deal now days. For the bike you're looking for, I'd double your price unfortunately for a reasonable bike.

15. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

One of the guys that I ride with just picked up an old bike for his girlie - a 1980 Suzuki GS450. He picked it up for $275 but the bike is in sad shape. I figure by the time he's done with refurbishing it, the material cost would be about $1000 (including the bike's purchase price), his time not counted. He has to get new chain for sure. New tires. Maybe new carburator or at least some serious reworks. Probably lots of engine works (hoses, gaskets, electrical) because the bike only had a few thousand miles (15,000 I think) but it's been sitting around forever.I think that if you were to raise your price range up to $2000, you'd have more options.