Finding A Self Defense Criminal Defense Attorney

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by BillG174, Jun 4, 2020.

1. BillG174

BillG174

I am having a very difficult time finding a self defense criminal defense attorney that I can have a relationship with and have their telephone number in my phone in case I need their help after a self defense shooting.

I live in Lenexa, Kansas which is on the Kansas side of the Kansas City metro. An attorney in Kansas City Missouri would need to be licensed to practice in Kansas.

I have asked my range and local gun stores for their recommendations - they had none.

Gun Owner's of America had one recommendation in Wichita, Kansas which is 3 1/2 hours away.

The Second Amendment Foundation had one recommendation in my immediate area but they never returned my phone calls or email.

The Kansas State Rifle Association had no recommendations.

My shooting friends don't carry so they don't understand it is a good idea to have an attorney that you can call.

I don't know if calling the Kansas Bar Association to ask for referrals would help.

I wouldn't think this should be so difficult. I would appreciate any help or ideas the Glock Talk folks could give me.

Thanks, Bill

2. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

What about those ccw insurance companies? Would they be worth looking into?

3. jk_226

jk_226

I live in one of the most liberal states in the US. Our state's equivalent to the NRA lists several such attorneys.

Maybe check with the Kansas State Rifle Association. Perhaps they can help.

https://kansasrifle.org/

4. BillG174

BillG174

Tuner Sandwich - at this time I am not interested in “CCW insurance” and some of those companies want you to pick you own attorney.

jk_226 - I have already checked with the Kansas State Rifle Aasoc. of which I am a member and they didn’t have any attorney names.

5. Ay Dios Mio

Ay Dios Mio

Of course you should pick your own attorney.

Just like picking trainers...I took two days of training from Rob Pincus and would never want him to show up in a courtroom for me if I was fighting for my life after a self-defense shooting.

ruffhunter and K. Foster like this.
  6. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

Find the best local talent. He will know the judges and clerks.

Don’t look for that “gun expert”. Find the best criminal lawyer period .

Read your local paper and the high profile cases in your area. See who wins.

Or call that lawyer the GOA suggested and ask for a referral. He would probably call that guy anyway to watch you until he could get there. If not, a few hours away isn’t that bad.

7. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

Bill,

Check out this firm:

https://www.rokuseklaw.com/

Click on Criminal Defense at the top, scroll down to Gun Crimes.

Maybe a possibility for you.

Ay Dios Mio likes this.
  8. BillG174

BillG174

ActanonVerba70 - thanks very much for the website. I have checked it out and will make an appointment next week to talk to them about establishing a relationship. I really appreciate your help.

Do you have experience using them? How do know about the firm?

9. peng

peng

There is a sub forum here called GATE (go ask the expert) self defense.

You could post your question there, the expert could have a lead for you.

10. Ay Dios Mio

Ay Dios Mio

Massad Ayoob is the GATE self-defense expert.

He's on the ACLDN board. I tried to look up Kansas lawyers on the site but couldn't remember my membership password.

I would recommend Bill look into the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network...IT IS NOT INSURANCE.

11. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

If you are ever really involved in a shooting and need a criminal defense attorney OP, all those people you went to and asked for "best self-defense lawyer" recommendations are gonna get subpoenaed to show the jury you were planning/preparing/eager for it.

12. oldmick

oldmick

If you have a local or state gun rights organization, they may be able to point you in the right direction. There may even be one that’s a member.

13. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

14. unit1069

unit1069

I agree that in certain jurisdictions a politically motivated DA might come after a lawful defender, and that's why taking preemptive steps beforehand is "thinking ahead". There are areas of the country today where citizens might easily find themselves surrounded by violent mobs. After-the-fact, when a defender is overwhelmed by the event, is not the best time to begin the search.

15. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Check and see who represents police officers. Check for police associations and unions to see who they use. Similar type cases and they usually take other cases outside LE.

16. TheBigCroaker

TheBigCroaker

The "Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network" has lists of attys all around the country who specialize in defense of armed citizens charged with self-defense shootings.
    Don't know if you can access their list without joining.
    tbc.

17. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

I took a one day course with him as part of his "tour". He made life miserable for a few people in the class. Sure that they never want to see him again. An Instructor of mine at Gunsite told me that he threatened to beat the crap out of him if he didn't shut up, during a seminar or course that they were taking together. I should clarify that it was the Instructor that told Pincus to shut up.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  18. K. Foster

K. Foster

This.

19. Wake_jumper

Wake_jumper Don't Jump!

I don't know from first hand experience (fortunately), but I have heard that the trouble with finding a good criminal defense lawyer is they are not used to defending innocent clients.

20. collim1

collim1

You want a criminal defense attorney with lots of trial experience dealing with felonies. That’s it. Self defense shooting are not all that common and it’s unlikely that even in a large city there is someone who makes the majority of their money dealing with self defense shootings.

Someone with experience defending people accused of murder and felony assault would be more than capable of making a self defense claim on your behalf.

Expert witnesses who deal with self defense shootings and gun laws would be brought in if needed. At your expense of course.

billy_56081 and JPARANEE like this.