GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
For about 25 years ('90-'15), there were no young barbers entering the business. In the last 5 years, we have a surge of young, very talented guys starting up. Nice to see, but gone are the old style shops!
When they ask how I want it cut, I say, "Befitting an old man; whatever you think looks age-appropriate".

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
I've tried to get my wife to cut my hair but she refuses. She doesn't have a good reason either.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Finding a good barber (not a chain store stylist) is like finding an artist who can paint your portrait exactly as you like it.

I became a shaggy mess waiting for the barber shops to open back up, though I really don't know why. In my part of Texas, every single barber sucks. I thought I found one I could work with, an old guy in his 80s who has been barbering for 60 years..but, alas, he decided one day that he knew what haircut I needed better than I did, and refused to change that notion. His vision was basically a #2 over my entire head.

I have a set of Wahl professional clippers I used for manscaping and giving myself a field cut before exercises, and I finally caved and gave myself my first Wuhan Wig. It turned out surprisingly acceptable. #6 on top, #4 on the sides. Get the SO to clean up the edges. It looks at least as good, and mostly better, than what I was shelling out $40 a pop for. Don't think I'll mess with trying to find a decent barber any more.

·
Registered
20,653 Posts
I've been going to the same barber shop for thirty three years. When they pass on I'll buy a trimmer kit and have my wife cut my hair. tom. :cowboy:
When my barber of 25 years gave up his work, I found another one who was OK. 5 years later he was gone and the one who replaced him sucked. My experience plus COVID convinced me to shave all my thinning hair and end the trips to a barber. Now I use an electric razor for my face and head.

·
Pinky Out
58,529 Posts
My cut is easy so I am just looking for a hawt chick to rub up against me more than needed and strokes my hair unnecessarily.

Reactions: Flags and G19Tony

·
Sneet
15,311 Posts
I found a barber college near me. They do a great job.

My ideal barber shop would be 3-4 chairs, magazines like car and driver, field and stream, popular mechanics, guns and ammo, and old playboys. An old chest style coke-a-cola machine.
I used to go to a shop like that. Bobby Gomez. Last time I saw him, he came to the house to give my Dad a haircut, during his time with ALS.

Adrianna, at Sport Clips, does a good job for me now.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,105 Posts
My cut is easy so I am just looking for a hawt chick to rub up against me more than needed and strokes my hair unnecessarily.
Make sure you give her a nice tip. Don't be a cheapskate like BF.

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,105 Posts
I know how to play the game.
Just giving you some friendly advice.

BF doesn't get any "extra attention" because he doesn't pay me.

Sometimes I buzz my initials on the back of his head.

·
Pinky Out
58,529 Posts
Just giving you some friendly advice.

BF doesn't get any "extra attention" because he doesn't pay me.

Sometimes I buzz my initials on the back of his head.
I don’t over tip chicks because I am worried about their children getting a good meal....

·
Diva extraordinaire
15,105 Posts

·
Rottweilers making America great again!
3,269 Posts
Real barber shops have become popular again in Vegas over the past decade. I have a couple of favorites. $25 for the haircut and ether a $5 or $10 tip. I go once every 4 weeks, worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm a pretty good barber. But I only know three haircuts;

#2 guard
#3 guard
and #4 guard.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I never go to a "stylist" shop. I like old fashioned barber shops. My current barber charges $7 and I tip well. I can't understand why anyone would pay 30 or 40 dollars for a haircut.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I found a barber college near me. They do a great job.

My ideal barber shop would be 3-4 chairs, magazines like car and driver, field and stream, popular mechanics, guns and ammo, and old playboys. An old chest style coke-a-cola machine.
We have one like that near me. Before I started shaving my head it was my go-to without fail. And, he also owned and older HD Panhead, so we could talk motorcycles.

And even better, on one occasion I had on a pullover sweatshirt and he asked me to remove it to trim my neck. I told him I had a concealed handgun in an OWB holster underneath it. He said, “don’t worry about it, lots of my customers carry.”

I miss that place.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts