close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finches and Other Little Birds

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Goldendog Redux, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

I bought a bird feeder sock a while back and not a single bird showed up for the feast. A windstorm came and emptied the sock of its contents. Sparrows and quail came and gobbled up the seed from the ground. I bought a new mix of seeds and filled the sock back up and still have not had any visitors.

My dentist's office which is less than a mile away has a gazillion little birds feasting. Pretty relaxing to sit in the dentist chair and watch the birds I have to say.

Does it just take time for a bird to find the food and then they will come? Do I need to send out a mailer or something?

MF

2. GLWyandotte

GLWyandotte Señor Member

Totally normal for birds to take a while to find a suspended feeder.
    I see you are in a dry climate, so a sock may work for you. Usually they'll get wet and birds won't eat spoiled seed.
    I mix thistle, sunflower seed and dried meal worms and they can't get enough. The type of seed determines what birds you get- if there's a ton of millet, you'll get mostly sparrows. Thistle and sunflower seed will bring mostly finches.

3. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Many birds, especially finches, are highly transient except in breeding/nesting season. If you're feeding thistle (niger) seed in mesh tube socks eventually they will be found and used by various finches, chickadees and juncos. They may be here today and gone tomorrow but birds are able to remember thousands of food locations, and will often return year after year.

It's always useful to provide water near the seed feeders. Any kind of bird bath or planter tray filled with water and located where birds can readily escape into vegetation to avoid predators.

4. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

You put thistle in a sock and seed in a feeder.

5. Goldendog Redux

Thanks. I figured it would take time.

6. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Send out an email blast. :supergrin:

7. Goldendog Redux

The stuff I have now is a mix of food. Nice bluebird day with no wind. I imagine the birds will come charging in any minute...

8. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Did you send out a Twitter 'tweet' to let them know about the food ? :supergrin:

9. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

The little buggers come and go as they please, but the past few weeks here it's been like feathered conveyor belts are emptying my feeders. :wow:

The gold finches are starting to get bright yellow and they seem to be extra hungry. Even though I'm going through 2 big coffee cans of black oil sunflower seeds a day to keep up with the flying piglets, it's cheap entertainment....and the chipmunks and juncos are more than happy vacuuming up anything on the ground that the birds spill out of the feeders.

10. 3glkdog

3glkdog

Did you just call him the N word?

11. Jake514

Jake514

To the OP: Great idea to feed the birdies and relaxing to watch, just give them some more time. I feed cracked corn to the doves over winter (as it will not germinate) but it takes a day or two for them to find it. The word spreads quickly.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent the thistle and other bird/weed seeds from germinating and creating a weed problem? My back yard is 80% shrub beds w/o weeds and I do not want to promote a problem. I did think about microwaving the seed but thought that may also make the protein value in the seed decline(?).

12. Goldendog Redux

I don't think a renegade seed would germinate under the feeder since all sorts of little critters gobble them up from the ground.

MF

13. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

OP, if you want to attract woodpeckers, put out a suet feeder.

14. trifecta

trifecta

Many other birds will like it too.

Make sure there is cover to perch or hide in.

You might try multiple feeding methods. Some birds will only feed on the ground, some will come to a sock type with thistle, a hanging feeder with mixed seed or a table type feeder. Some birds will come to orange slices.

Don't forget a hummingbird feeder.

Many birds will like a water drip over a small bird bath.

During the winter and migration times you may get more birds. Once they start breeding they tend to split out of the flocks and are more likely to defend a territory.

15. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Golden-crowned Kinglets like suet, too; elk suet and peanut butter.

[​IMG]

Lewis's Woodpeckers like sunflower seed and cracked corn.

[​IMG]

And, Hairy Woodpeckers like to drink sugar water and will pop the flowers off the humfeeders. Many birds are pretty versatile in what they'll eat.

[​IMG]

16. turretg

turretg

Yes, it takes time for them to notice your location. I just broadcast some seed mostly I get city birds like sparrows and chickadees and pigeons but I've seen also some gold finches and bluebirds and cardinals , bluejays and even hawks and falcons and once a golden eagle taking a pigeon. :supergrin:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  17. Hummer

Hummer Big Member

Don't forget the hummingbirds which are now in their northbound migration. We're getting a few early hummers in CO already.

It's plain sugar water for them, one part sugar to four parts water.

[​IMG]

You can make your own feeders. Feed them and they will come.

[​IMG]

You might even be lucky enough to catch a white one.

[​IMG]

18. RayB

RayB Retired Member

We offer a range of feeders for different species at different times of the year. :thumbsup:

As was mentioned, a reliable source of clean water will get noticed and remembered. Life runs on the simplest stuff. ;)

Right now we've got our annual pair of mallard ducks visiting. They make a mess of the ground-bath, but we just dutifully keep refilling it... :sigh:

It was hilarious one time, the drake (male duck) would scold the hell out of me when I fired up the weed whacker! He was having none of that! I'd turn it back on and he'd complain like hell! Too funny! :supergrin:

The robins are back and I love hearing them in the morning—the cardinals too. Each morning as the sky grows faintly light in the east, the birds begin to sing and to call to one another. With instincts refined by millions of years of evolution, they awake to greet a nuclear fire 93-million miles away. As if acknowledging its power over life itself, they sing their little hearts out to greet the rising sun. And often as not, a lone robin sings nearby, at sunset too, as if grateful for another day... I can't imagine a world without birds. :hearts:

--Ray

19. RayB

RayB Retired Member

Some great pics here, guys! :thumbsup:

--Ray

20. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Here was a surpise for me one day. I counted 22 pair of Quaker Parrots at one point.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]