close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Finally took the plunge....

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by MikeLadner, Feb 13, 2011.

1. MikeLadner

MikeLadner DILLIGAFF?

And switched to day shift, after 8 years of nights.

It's... weird.

First things first: had to learn how to drive normal, use blinkers, etc.

Then had to get contacts so I could wear some normal looking, cheap sunglasses....

So far so good, I guess. I hate to admit it, but I'm actually enjoying it. I had more time to spend with the kids on nights, though, so we'll see.

:wavey:

2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Don't forget the Admin types showing up on every vehicle search you call out on the radio.

The 5 10-50's every afternoon right at time to go home.

The transports back and forth from the jail for court and detectives.

And worst of all, there is a car parked in the space that says "reserved for chief" right by the back door under the sally port.

I like 3mos of Days every once in a while, but I am naturally a night shift man. I couldn't handle a permanent day gig.

3. MikeLadner

MikeLadner DILLIGAFF?

Those also ring true, too... except the transporting. The rookie gets that detail. :supergrin:

I'm the same way though, it's been two weeks so far, but I want to go back on nights the first of May.

4. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Ugh, I'm getting forced to 2nd shift sometime in the next few months myself and will have to re-learn all the things the OP mentioned. NOT looking forward to it. After 2 years of nights, I will have to be dragged kicking and screaming to ANY other shift. 2nd just ruins your entire day...

:crying::crying::crying:

5. Ajon412

Ajon412

Good luck on days...........:ack: I've been on nights for a LOOOOOOOOG time and would consider days a "punishment". There are pros and cons for both and a change of scenery every now and then can be a good thing.

6. CAcop

CAcop

The way it is at my department thier really isn't much difference between the shifts. About the only difference is between 4am and 6am it is quiet. Parking in the chief's space is not a good idea because he has been known to pop in at odd hours.

7. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

We do 4 12hrs shifts, then 4 off. How are yall's split up? I would hate something like 12a-12p

8. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Regular ol' shift work. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. 5 days a week with 2 off.

Yeah, it sucks. Bad. What I would do for 12s...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  9. Ajon412

Ajon412

The Pitman Schedule here.....Two shifts, 0600x1800 and 1800x0600. 2 on, 2 off, 3 on, 2 off, 2 on, 3 off....It's a 14 day cycle with every other weekend off.......It's, by far, the best chart I've ever worked.......:supergrin:

10. trdvet

trdvet

Can't hide food stains on your uniform in broad daylight.

11. SAR

SAR CLM

When I first came on the job, I didn't have enough seniority to stay on days so it was always nights. By the time I had 20 years on, I finally had the seniority, but no desire to work days by then. A couple of years later, an opportunity came up and I finally went to days. The first thing I noticed is that I'm not drag azz tired all the time any more. Despite being a virtual vampire, like it or not on my first day off, if I felt like staying up and getting some errands done, I was tired, and the last day off, before going in, if I stayed up all day, I was tired at work. So for twenty years, it was waking up in the afternoon and hope I could get some daytime errands done in the hour or two I still had. Anyways, it's nice having full days off now. On my last day I go to bed like a normal person, and wake up refreshed. No more being tired all the time.

12. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

It's weird dealing with so many sober people now isn't it? Less swearing, more traffic, on your days off you wear real clothes and not pajamas all day, and more nonsense calls.

If you are like me....you miss the work and the guys, but your personal life and family will thank you. I'm also a lot more productive now that I am not on midnights - when I look at the big picture, I am happy I made the change. You only live life once, it's good to be able to enjoy it and not draggin' butt all the time because you are so tired.

13. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

This is what every agency in my county works.

LOVE IT

14. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

0730-1530 mon-fri weekends off :supergrin:. I worked B shift for 8 yrs. If I had to go back to B or God forbid a C midnight shift I'd die.

15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Can you send me details on that? Sounds interesting. We're exploring that right now.

As for working days... you couldn't pay me enough to do that. I'll gladly do my swing shift, which is the one I volunteer for... and sometimes get.

16. Hack

Hack Crazy CO Gold Member

I like midnights. More money, less hassle, feel better.

17. Pepper45

Pepper45

I did 6 months on days. I will stop just short of saying never again, because when I get close to pulling the plug, I might not want to do the night shift boogie of grabbing dirtbags and taking them to jail. Swing or grave for me, most of the folks I deal with are bad guys, I can drive it like I stole it, the world is my bathroom, and I have no admin weenies to second guess my decisions until the next day, and then by the time they finally calm down, I'm back to work again.

18. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

Thats what it all boils down too. I hated working days (with the exception of Sunday's) at my last gig. All the brass around, people in and out of the office, phone rining. You couldn't get any real police work done for dealing with BS. With that said, it was nice being able to live like a normal human and have time with the family.

19. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Proud Husband

This is how I work, only 2000-0800 hrs. I love working only seven out of every 14 days! And I miss my wife but love working nights.

20. jenrick

jenrick

I had to work a day shift for three months last year. I spent most of it driving around marveling at all the colors. Apartments complex I had run through for years, I suddenly found had different colored buildings.

-Jenrick