Finally taking the exam

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Petra, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Petra

Petra

I've been trying to work out a time to take the tech exam for a few months now. I actually stopped studying because I didn't think I'd be able to work it into my schedule. Well, I happen to be free this Tuesday night when BVARC is giving the exam down in Stafford.

I'm back studying again. It's surprising how much you forget in such a short time. I've taken several online practice exams and have scored around 90% or better on them so I think I'll be able to pass the exam without too much trouble. If anyone has any tips, please pass them along.

Wish me luck.

Mark

P.S. Are there any radio shops in SW Houston where I can look at ham radios? I've been to EPO on Fondren. They had a couple of HF radios but I'm looking for a 2m/70cm mobile unit. I know there is a store up in NW Houston, but I haven't had the time to go up there.

2. FN64

FN64 Guest

Good deal Petra..
    If you're doing well on the practice tests the real McCoy won't be a big deal.

tips...
    Call ahead.. verify time & place & that you'll be testing so they have enough exams to pass around..
    Be a little early to ask any questions you might have..
    Bring 2-3 forms of good identification..<--very important!!
    Bring 2-3 pencils & pens..
    Bring a basic calculator if you need one..
    Listen carefully and follow the VE's instructions..
    Read each question thoroughly and carefully select the proper answer.. There's a few that can trip ya if you hurry so take all the time you need..
    Answer ALL questions.. If you don't know the answer then make your best "educated guess". An unanswered question is guaranteed to be wrong.

When you pass, you will (usually) be offered the opportunity to take the next higher test (general) GO FOR IT!!! Ya might get lucky and with a little study you can come outa there with an HF ticket. It's NOT that much harder than the tech!!

So best luck & happy hammin'

73..FN