Finally solved in issue with my cloudy windshield......

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Detectorist, Jan 23, 2020.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

We always used old newspaper when I was a kid and had to wash the storm windows before my Dad put them on every fall. Think it cleans so well is that it is slightly abrasive.

Bad thing is I haven't bought a newspaper in years now and the local left wing "Pravda" around here is so thin now you'd need to save up copies for a month to be able to do much window cleaning.

orangejeep06 and Detectorist like this.
  2. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:9

I learned many years ago that Windex and newspaper is best for cleaning windows. The problem now is that I haven't bought a newspaper in years.

E-2-E likes this.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

This is the best stuff I've found to keep the Ski-Doooo helmet visor from fogging up.....and I like the name of it.
    [​IMG]

4. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

I never heard of that. I like that it is made in the USA.
    But I don't like the name, ewwww!

Slackinoff likes this.
  5. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Where can you buy invisible glass and 303? Never mind, found it at Walmart.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  6. PatinAz

PatinAz

My son's 16 year old car is still curing.

'Ol Grandad likes this.
  7. nerr

nerr

Hannie's spit is gross??? Say it ain't so. Next you will be telling me there is no Santa Claus :)

8. Z71bill

Z71bill

I learned something today - and I wasn't even trying!

9. J_Rico

J_Rico

Thanks.

10. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

You can tell when they're done curing, they start cracking. Lol!

PatinAz likes this.
  11. Hannie Caulder

ALL spit is gross. Santa Claus's too.

nerr likes this.
  12. wyntrout

wyntrout

Last year I got my windshield replaced in my 15+ year-old GMC Savana. It finally got the stone ding that started running in the sun's heat.
    USAA let me have it replaced for free at home, even, by Safelite!
    The poor guy worked and worked, scratching up my dashboard around the window and finally had to CHISEL the glass out!
    He got it done and it took over 3 hours... his longest and hardest job. It's great to have a clean glass without the sandblasting effect and rock dings from over 110,000 miles at probably 85 or so most of the time.
    I haven't noticed any problems... leaks or film. I would guess that my van has had plenty of time to get through with the outgassing, but I appreciate the tips on cleaning glass. WINDEX SUCKS!

13. wyntrout

wyntrout

I did use Windex... with a little alcohol added... after running my van through a carwash with all of the wax sprays. The windshield wasn't being cleaned by the wipers effectively and I realized it was the hot wax or whatever the car wash sprayed on everything. It took some real scrubbing with that Windex to get the wax off and then the wipers worked okay.
    I still need to replace the wiper blades because the last time the van was in the shop the dealer replaced my blades for free, but with the cheap kind that have all of those little metal "spring" supports that ice up quickly and then allow the blades to skip over whatever's on the windshield.
    I'm surprised that that didn't occur during the snowstorm we drove through North of Albuquerque while returning from the Durango area after this Christmas. That's why I used the commercial car wash... to get rid of all of the snow sludge and chemicals used on the roads, especially underneath the van, which is AWD, by the way... my greatest vehicle ever!
    I spent 5 years in Northern Maine and know about wipers and freezing sludge on the windshield and the headlights... at night! :eek:

FullClip likes this.
  14. Hannie Caulder

Florida sun destroys wiper blades. My mechanic replaces mine every time he changes my oil. And he puts Rain-X on the windshield. The water just rolls right off without even turning on the wipers.

wyntrout likes this.
  15. wyntrout

wyntrout

My vehicles are in the garage if we're not driving them, so not as much sun exposure. I do wipe the blades down when I clean the windshields and use some silicone on the blades. I should have put some better blades on my van for our Winter driving, though. I do carry good spares that won't ice up.
    I do get some Winter driving before Christmas and the New Year, but had more this last trip. I even got the ABS to jitter the last few feet at the first traffic light in Bernallillo just North of Albuquerque. I saw the road looked iced as I started slowing for the light, so I turned my flashers on and started braking early. The people behind me would have hit me if I hadn't activated the flashers!

16. LostinTexas

LostinTexas Exploring Alternate Routes

A bit extreme, unless you only get an oil change about once a year-ish. The sun will bake the wipers right to the glass around here. They should be run on occasion. Use the washer fluid that some genius had them put on board. Oh, fill that up with every oil change as well, if not more frequently.
    I have fits getting that into LostWife. I kind of understand though, the smell of the fluid sets her off. We are still working on that one, so blue stuff it is for her until I ccan find something that doesn't mess with her.

Joshhtn likes this.
  17. Little Joe

Little Joe

I need to get some. I've been noticing that film at night with headlights coming at me.

18. wyntrout

wyntrout

When we got a new 2018 Subaru a year and a half ago, I bought a bunch of cleaners and silicon for treating the new car. I looked at the Rain-X and it seemed I would have to wait overnight or something for it to dry, but I just looked again, and it says only an hour before driving in the rain, so I washed my windshield with that twice and then just used my Windex mix on the inside.
    Now I just have to wait for rain. We're back in the warm days now... after a few days when it was chilly... got down to about 35 degrees here. We usually have about a 5 degree difference because our temperature is moderated by the St. Johns River. It's only about 135 yards away.
    Anyhow it has been sunny and a little cloudy at times, but mid-70's all day. I did work up a little sweat doing the windshield... whew! :D Some times we have all 4 seasons within 24 hours!

19. The Hawk

The Hawk

I just tried Meguiar's ultimate waterless wash and wax for the outside of my windshield. Great stuff. I also like Rain X.

20. Hannie Caulder

Every 3000 miles. That's what Daddy taught me.