Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Glock 34 upper off the forums last fall but never got to shoot it until today... Kind of sad huh?

Regardless, I noticed that it was much harder to keep the Glock 34 on target for quick double taps and I really had to clamp down on the grip and even then I had jump... I found myself constangly needing to drop my sights down to find the target...

When I switched back to the G-17 upper I was pleased to see my exra effort to keep the G-34 upper on target pretty much got me to hold the G-17 upper on the target and I got some really quick doubles and tripples off with the Glock 17.

Is this a comon issue with the Glock 34 and other long slides?

I assume it is because of the extra weight of the slide and longer barrel but I am going to have to teach myself to shoot the Glock 34. I guess the nice side of this will be that if I master the Glock 34 I should be really good with the Glock 17 when done.

Somehow I didn't expect this and I was curious if my experience is what others found when they started with the longslides or is this a sign I have been limp wristing the G-17 and finally got caught?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I notice the same difference between my 22 and my 35; you can really feel the extra slide mass in the "flip", but the extra sight radius makes up for it. I'll be putting in a tungsten guide rod to see if that helps any.

G

·
I just took the slide off my G17 and G34 and weighed them. Both are almost exactly 13 oz (with barrel/spring removed). Barrel/spring on both are very close to 5 oz.
The weight on the G34 is probably distributed differntly, and I think that's what you're seeing. If you have a longer item (same mass, which they appear to be) recoiling the same it should take a bit longer to get the longer one lined up again.

·
"To The Point"
1,230 Posts
Own 34 seemed really nose-heavy at 1st. for a while. eventually got used to it and now 17 with same PF ammo seems excessively jumpy to me. Have fooled around with spring weights and powders and bullet weights 'til was saisfied tho'......... Tracks really well now, others comment that the muzzle "never moves" during speed-shoots, etc.

·
NRA Life Member
66,479 Posts
To me the 34 seems a lot faster and easier to shoot than the 17 - first time I've heard the opposite.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Stainless steel or, better yet, an extended tungsten guide rod from Custom Glock Racing and a 13# IMSI spring, help "plant" the muzzle on target for my G34 a little better than stock. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Originally posted by Bren
To me the 34 seems a lot faster and easier to shoot than the 17 - first time I've heard the opposite.
I agree. I can't shoot the G17 very well at all compared to how I shoot the G34.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts