Finally jumping into pistol reloading...just wanted you to double check...

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by mds2004, Feb 2, 2010.

1. mds2004

mds2004

I already ordered:
    3k Wolf SP primers for 9mm
    3k Wolf LP primers for .45ACP
    8lbs Bullseye

About to order:
    3k 230gr RN .45 lead cast
    3k 125gr RN 9mm lead cast

Brass will be from misc WWB and Fiocci I have shot over the years.
    Does this all sound fine? Ive only have experience reloading .223 and .308.

2. varget

varget

If you are going to feed a Glock make sure to clean it often and carefully with those lead bullets. Some will tell you not to even use them in a Glcok due to the rifling.....poly and not "cut."
    Let the flames begin.

3. mds2004

mds2004

Yeah I have read that too. The 9mm will be out of a few guns but no 9mm. The .45 will be for my G30. I do clean my guns religiously after each shooting even if only 40 rounds.

Also Im reading how dirty Bullseye is! 8lbs will be a while to get through!

4. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

I assume you have the dies. Powder and bullets looks good

I see no problems

Happy Reloading

5. GLShooter

GLShooter

Looks like you can "gett'er done" with that. :supergrin:

Now my opinion, )I love the internet), if you are just working up plinking loads you might consider going to a 200 gr SWCL HG#68 type bullet. First off the powder usage will be lower and second off the wear and tear on the gun will be less over a long period of time. I have shot literally thousands of the 200 grainers in matches over the years and reserve the 230's for matches that require hardball or if I am shooting bowling pins and want a bit more energy.

I have also played with the 185 gr SWCL over the past few years and found it even more pleasant to shoot. I shoot it in PPC a lot and you don't want to beat yourself up with the 230's in that sport.

My pistols have been polished and ramped to handle the SWC's but really took little effort to get the feeding issues handled. Magazines I use are all Metalform in my 1911 or the basic Para for that set up.

Greg

6. mds2004

mds2004

Thats what made me jump into it. A friend gave me a Dillon 550 to use, which came in 9mm and 38spl and .357. Im going to order the full conversion kit from Brian Enos' website for the .45 soon.

7. mds2004

mds2004

Thank you. I was considering the Semi wad cutters but hear that sometimes people are having trouble with those feeding reliably, which was making me lean towards the RN in the G30.

Here is the website I was planning on purchasing from: http://www.appollobulletcorporation.com/price_list.html

8. Randy from Kansas

Randy from Kansas

Wow now that's a Friend :wow: Hope you gave him a good bottle of whiskey

Well Well if you are using a Dillon you NEED more brass, powder, primers and Bullets. Cause that blue thing will turn out the cartridges in a hurry.

9. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

If you get your G30 to feed SWC's you'll be one of the very few who have. Even a LW barrel after being sent back to be rechambered still wouldn't feed 'em.

Only .45 I own, or have ever owned that hates 'em.

Jack

10. mds2004

mds2004

He's like a dad (grandpa?) to me. Its actually my best friend's neighbor lol. Found out we have the same hobbies so I join him and his wife for all the races and air shows. Plus I do a lot of home improvement and computer jobs for them since he is getting older. He also gave me a 1980s 10/22, and a few other cool toys, and way too much beer. I just supply him with the jobs around the house he needs and a few beers.

11. fredj338

fredj338

I would agree, but the G30 is not very user friendly w/ LSWC. The 230grRNL will be far more reliable & give good results.
    MDS, BE would not be my choice for a newb reloader. W231 would be a better bet, maybe you can trade to some of the really old guys that still shoot that crud. Now have you a couple of good manuals & read them?

12. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

:shocked:

13. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

Ahhhhhh I understand now. Still a great deal.

14. farmer2

farmer2

here I'll be the first....... Don't shoot lead bullets thru your glock. Pressure can get dangerous even at low round counts due to the build up of led. Of course it can technically be done, but its not a good Idea.