GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was a bit nervous having never seen one in person and concerned about the thicker slide. Finally found on on GB last week for close to MSRP. Paid $605 with free shipping and no CC fees.

It arrived the other day and I really like the feel. The thicker slide really isn't that noticeable until you compare it side by side to a Gen 5 G19.

Won't work in any of my kydex holsters I have for the G19, but is perfect in the one leather holster I had on hand from Blackhawk.

I was also concerned about the chamber throat, since my early Gen 5 G19 has a shallow throat and some heavier bullets with certain shapes won't chamber if seated to standard length.

No such worry with the G23. Exact same dimensions as my Gen 4 G35 and everything I had passed the plunk test.

Have not shot it since there was Thanksgiving and am working every day for a while. Shooting for Tuesday for a range trip to see what it can do.

IMG_20201125_190924487.jpg

Recoil spring assembly marked 1-8 vs 1-7 for my G19. Same breech face cutout, frame is identical and slides are interchangeable.

Trigger is excellent and at 5lbs. Feels better than my G19 with a polish job.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Was a bit nervous having never seen one in person and concerned about the thicker slide. Finally found on on GB last week for close to MSRP. Paid $605 with free shipping and no CC fees.

It arrived the other day and I really like the feel. The thicker slide really isn't that noticeable until you compare it side by side to a Gen 5 G19.

Won't work in any of my kydex holsters I have for the G19, but is perfect in the one leather holster I had on hand from Blackhawk.

I was also concerned about the chamber throat, since my early Gen 5 G19 has a shallow throat and some heavier bullets with certain shapes won't chamber if seated to standard length.

No such worry with the G23. Exact same dimensions as my Gen 4 G35 and everything I had passed the plunk test.

Have not shot it since there was Thanksgiving and am working every day for a while. Shooting for Tuesday for a range trip to see what it can do.

View attachment 875650

Recoil spring assembly marked 1-8 vs 1-7 for my G19. Same breech face cutout, frame is identical and slides are interchangeable.

Looks great. I wonder how the slide thickness compares to my GAP guns. Just eyeballing it, looks very similar to my G38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great. I wonder how the slide thickness compares to my GAP guns. Just eyeballing it, looks very similar to my G38

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Slide width for the G38 and the other 10mm and .45 Glock pistols is 1.12". The Gen 5 .40 S&W pistols have a narrower slide at 1.08".

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never owned a 40, but I'm seriously considering picking up a 22 or 23 to have another caliber to potentially find ammo for.

·
Premium Member
9,229 Posts
Congrats on the gen5 g23. Very nice indeed . Still holding out for the g23x though.

·
Registered
20 Posts

View attachment 875650

Did I just watch your YouTube video?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Congrats! I really really want one I have a Gen4 but I really really want one.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The thick slide and FS are a deal breaker for me. I shouldn't be *****ing on your thread, G23g5 are all that, I'm just a gen3 thin slide person.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you watched the long, monotone, horribly done one with the flannel background, then yeah.
Yup it was yours!

Joking aside I appreciated it. Not much out there in the way of Gen 5 40's.

I'm SERIOUSLY considering buying a 22 or 23, because while I've got plenty of 9mm target ammo, apparently I've only got 50 HSTs left.

Doing some looking I've found a few places that still have 40 hollow points, so I'd be able to add another gun and self defense ammo

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally shot it today.

Just horrible weather, so gave up trying to do any 25 yard bench testing. The 40 mph wind gusts were moving my 25 yard target stand. So, I resigned myself to just verifying it functioned, shot a few 7 yard groups, then a couple of 20 yard offhand groups with three different loads, and called it good. 38 degrees and raining and windy. Miserable.

But, it was promising, despite my errors which produced flyers that ruined otherwise impressive groups.

Recoil-wise, I did not shoot it side by side with my Gen 5 G19, but the recoil was mild to say the least. So much so that I didn't even notice it and forgot to really make a mental note of it. I would rate it as the same as my G19.

I fired three types of ammo; WWB 180gr FMJs, reloads featuring 200gr Speer Gold Dots and 180gr RMR flat-nose bullets. Both near the max level loads of 231.

Recovered cases showed slight case bulge, but nothing more extreme than with my Gen 4 G35, and I reload cases used in it several times with no issues.

First target loading a full magazine of WWB and shooting at 7 yards...

Then 7 yards using the 200gr GD loads...

Group fired at 20 yards off-hand using the 200gr GD loads. Pretty sure I can shrink these in half using a rest. The group using the WWB was 3/8" bigger.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Finding a holster that fits the new Gen 5 forties is challenging. Ordered a plastic holster off of Amazon, but emailed the company first asking if the new Gen 5 G23 will fit. They assured me it did. It did not. Not even close. Not a big deal since it fit my Gen 5 G19 perfectly, but it was annoying. Currently arguing with them and Amazon to remove the description that includes the Gen 5 G23 in models that fit.

Ordered a Bianchi leather holster and it ended up being too small. Could get it in about half way...

So I warmed up the holster on my fireplace, slathered it with leather conditioner, then stuffed the pistol in a ziploc bag and shoved it in. Let it sit for a couple of days and now it is a perfect fit. So, if you need a good OWB leather holster for your new G23, the Bianchi will work with a little extra effort.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Finding a holster that fits the new Gen 5 forties is challenging. Ordered a plastic holster off of Amazon, but emailed the company first asking if the new Gen 5 G23 will fit. They assured me it did. It did not. Not even close. Not a big deal since it fit my Gen 5 G19 perfectly, but it was annoying. Currently arguing with them and Amazon to remove the description that includes the Gen 5 G23 in models that fit.

Ordered a Bianchi leather holster and it ended up being too small. Could get it in about half way...

View attachment 885105

So I warmed up the holster on my fireplace, slathered it with leather conditioner, then stuffed the pistol in a ziploc bag and shoved it in. Let it sit for a couple of days and now it is a perfect fit. So, if you need a good OWB leather holster for your new G23, the Bianchi will work with a little extra effort.

View attachment 885106

View attachment 885105

View attachment 885106
I went through the same thing with a holster manufacture. I told them it was bigger a d they assured me I would be good to go. Of course it didn’t fit.We went round and round and sent him a variety of pics along with pics of with a tape measure before he admitted he was wrong. I kept the holster for my 19X it I’m still hunting for one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts