Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Brass picker
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys I have been reading this forum for a while and have asked questions and received very helpful answers from several of you.
I found a very nice guy who had a older 550 that was left to him when his dad passed away. He was gracious enough to entrust this to me I am setting it up on the bench right now. While there are a few parts missing I am still excited to have a new tool. I am going to retire the old RL450 with a good coat of lube and save it for when I get my reloading/hobby room built.

I have questions that I cannot find answers for on Dillon's site or the Internet.

On the powder drop linkage the newer ones have a yellow or golden two piece contraption mounted on the powder hopper that moves the powder bar. In the parts list this piece is called a "slotted bell crank" (#97034). The three hoppers included With the press have a single piece black "bell rank". It looks like the powder drop housings on mine would have to be changed to accept this newer part. What is the reason/advantage of the new gold/yellow two piece design?

Second question is there a spacer required under the primer slide bar? There are a few pieces of the primer feed system missing so I am trying to piece it together. In the videos I have watched, most show a thin black spacer inserted under the primer side bar that is bolted in place with the primer housing and shield that it rides in.

I hope I framed these questions well enough that some one can offer an answer. I appreciate the time you took to read and or respond.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
The black ones are the ones they put on them 30 years go. They used springs to return the measure. Then they switched to the linkage mounted on this measure that added a fail safe rod that forced the measure to reset if for some reason it did not spring return. Preventing squibs if the measure got stuck and the operator didn't notice.

Then they came out with this linkage where pulling on the rod at the down stroke is what resets the measure, this helps prevent double charges due to short stroking.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
The black plate that sits under the primer shuttle is a bearing plate. It is important that it remain clean (along with the bottom of the primer shuttle) and smooth. If you don't have one, or yours is worn, call Dillon to get a replacement.

·
Crusty Member
10,955 Posts

·
NRA & Second Amendment Life Member
1,613 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If I were you, I pack the whole outfit up and send it to Dillon for clean/rebuild. The slide bearing kit on ebay is awesome. The Dillon aluminum roller handle and inline fabrication mounting kit are very worth while items to look into. Good loading and shooting ahead...

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
Every person I have read that has bought the ball bearing version of the bearing plate loves it.

On the other hand, I get about 20K rounds between replacement of the original and Dillon sends it to me free when it does start sticking and needs replacement, so I think you can go either way. Just make sure it is clean, either way.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
any question you have will be best answered by Dillon reps. they are a phone call away.
Dillon is among the best, and possibly THE best in customer service.
they stand behind their product like nobody else.
you may get a lot of good responses here, the phone call to the mother ship will be the most fruitful!
have a list of questions ready so there will be only one call needed.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Every person I have read that has bought the ball bearing version of the bearing plate loves it.

On the other hand, I get about 20K rounds between replacement of the original and Dillon sends it to me free when it does start sticking and needs replacement, so I think you can go either way. Just make sure it is clean, either way.
The cantilever is what made the biggest difference for me. That one little change makes a huge improvement in the 550, IMO.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
The cantilever is what made the biggest difference for me. That one little change makes a huge improvement in the 550, IMO.
Do you have the one like Uniquetek sells that cantilevers out the rear without the roller bearings? I think I saw those first, maybe a guy on youtube who initially thought it up showing how it worked, been a while for that one. The idea always made sense to me as the OEm bearing plates seem to wear on the back side where the shuttle gets pulled down at the end of its stroke out.

·
On the Border
15,282 Posts
Do you have the one like Uniquetek sells that cantilevers out the rear without the roller bearings? I think I saw those first, maybe a guy on youtube who initially thought it up showing how it worked, been a while for that one. The idea always made sense to me as the OEm bearing plates seem to wear on the back side where the shuttle gets pulled down at the end of its stroke out.
No, I have the one without the bearing. The bearing is a good idea, but 95% of the improvement comes from fully supporting the shuttle in its forward position. That's what keeps it from binding.

·
Brass picker
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The black ones are the ones they put on them 30 years go. They used springs to return the measure. Then they switched to the linkage mounted on this measure that added a fail safe rod that forced the measure to reset if for some reason it did not spring return. Preventing squibs if the measure got stuck and the operator didn't notice.

Then they came out with this linkage where pulling on the rod at the down stroke is what resets the measure, this helps prevent double charges due to short stroking.

Jmorris
Great pictures and explanation. There were a pair of the basic black no linkage in the box of parts. Now that I know what these are I will dispose of them.

The linkage mounted on my two powder hoppers appears to be the "gen2" with a rod linking it to the ram and it still has springs to help return the slide. I can see from your picture I could install the latest version without changing anything else. How critical is the newest version? If I have the link to the ram and spring return it would appear to be functional and relatively safe as long as I do my part on the pull handle. With shipping it is another $25 per hopper and while I can afford it I want to start making some ammo.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
With the new Failsafe system you do not want to use the springs for the return of the powder bar.

Reactions: IndyGunFreak

·
Brass picker
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
I a

I am going to place the order on eBay today and wanted you to know I appreciate your advice and you may have saved me hours of frustration and maybe personal injury.
You are perfectly welcome that is what we are here for..

·
Brass picker
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In
With the new Failsafe system you do not want to use the springs for the return of the powder bar.
In the the picture showing the black link held by the pliers the linkage on the hopper behind it appears to be what I have. I see the springs are still in place on that one. Am I correct in assuming the "gen2" still used the springs? When I get the newest version I will remove the springs.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,194 Posts
The first picture has the gen one and two. Both use two springs. The next picture which is the failsafe system does not use the springs

Like I beleive what I said before the first ones that came out only had one spring and sometimes it would hang up and you got no charge because the bar would not return. So then they came out with using two springs and found the same problem. So then they added the rod to make sure it would return but still using the two springs. Then they came out with the failsafe system to make sure if for some reason you double stroked the press you would not get a double charge. But with the 550 you have to make sure you rotate the shell plate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.