Glock Talk banner

Finally getting one of my dream vehicles!

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  nsb22 
#1 ·
Okay, not much of a vehicle to most people, but I've wanted one for years and now I finally found one:

A 1976 Chevy Suburban 4x4 3/4-ton w/ AC, auto, 350 4bbl, rust-free and cheap.

Friend of a friend has it and says it needs a carb...He's gone until Monday and then I get to come get it and start building it.

It will get a 4" lift, 35" tires, winch, roof rack, custom bumpers, desert camo paint scheme, and be able to explore the desert in comfort.

Wish I had pics, but digital camera died...

#2 ·
We had a 1991. Last year for the old body and leaf springs. We got it when it was about 4 years old with about 65k on it, kept it 8 years and put another 120k on it. Lots of adventure in that old truck. Replaced it with a 2003 that was the same configuration and color (white).

Keep in mind that if you get a 4" lift kit it will probably only be 2" higher than it is. They start out a couple inches higher than the 1/2 ton version.

#3 ·
Make sure that you purchase a good kit from a reputable manufacturer. If you are planning on running the 35's on eight inch wide wheels you may want more than four inches of lift. Ten inch wheels with 35's may still rub when the suspension is flexed out or the steering is turned all the way. If so, you can shave just the corners of the front fenders with a sawzall. I also recomend extended braided brake lines for this truck and quality shocks. This is a great vehicle, does it happen to have a four speed manual trans? If so they are getting hard to find. Please don't beat the crap out of a rust free one on the rocks.
J

#4 ·
It's an automatic; a built TH350. And no, it won't be trashed on the rocks.

It will be a daily driver. I'm going to put on a set of 295/75/16s, which should clear easily. It currently is running 265's and there is at least 4" of clearance all around.

The big thing is going to be restoring the interior, it is trashed.

#5 ·
Sweet rig Vart!!

Advice from a former rockhound and current 4x4 lightweight:

Check the upper shock mounts and the frame near the steering box for cracks. Look close, generally these areas need to be welded every 70K miles, even with light off-roading. It's an easy repair with a welder. BTW, grease them front hubs (if they are manual lock-out)before you decide to play in the dirt. :thumbsup:

The taller tires will almost work like an overdrive for the TH350 tranny, keeping the RPMs low at highway speeds. You may have the TH400 tranny in the 3/4 ton. I dunno, but it's worth a look to see.

PS: I know it's a friends rig, but just make sure it has a front driveshaft. It's common for Chevys of that era to have had front axle issues and people just toss the driveshaft and keep on trucking. I've always suspected this was due to the non-reverse cut gear teeth on the front Dana axles that Chevy used to use, but that's only my opinion. You did good to get a 3/4-ton and avoid the 10-bolt rear-end. HAVE FUN!!

#6 ·
hey great vehical.comuting and off road ,desert running ,this big hoss is great.have you seen the 07?way cool.what happened to the death of the super duper SUV when gas was 300+ per?:animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :banana: :banana: :animlol: i want a ford excursion.now thats a hoss!:rofl: :rofl: :animlol: :animlol: :animlol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#8 ·
I couldn't find one of these in Iowa that was worth restoring, with all the rust.

I bought a `76 2wd Suburban there years ago and I had to use that expanding foam to keep water from coming up through the floors:shocked: .

No rust here, but the interiors are pretty hammered from the sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.