close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Featured Finally gave up the ghost and switched carry caliber

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by texas 48, Jan 8, 2018.

1. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

IMG10146.JPG Yesterday at the range I wanted to compare my G27 vs my G26. I have been a .40 fan boy for carrying a G29 then a g27 as I grew older and have reached a point that I dont control my G27 as well as I used too. I fired the 90 rounds from my 27 1st, as rapidly as I could, and although I managed to keep in in the 8 ring on a silhouette target most landing in the 9 or 10 ring managing the recoil has slipped as demonstrated by the flyers on the lower target.
    I ran my 26 next 10 mags full . The results were dramatically different at 7 yards. Top target are my G26 results. Looks like I need to switch calibers because I can handle the recoil better with the 26 and stay on target. Packing my 26 for now.

2. Heath Ern

Heath Ern

I have owned a 19, 20, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30S, 32, 33, 36 and 43 (currently own a 20, 32, 33 and 43). I could and can shoot all of them quite well, except for own. I never could shoot the 27 well consistently. There was just something about it. I didn't keep it terribly long because of that.

3. PRE-K

PRE-K

Yes, it should be easier... that's why there's major/minor classes in competition.

4. wlkjr

wlkjr

I predict you won't die in a shootout because of it.

5. PRE-K

PRE-K

He might die as a result of it... we all know the 9mm is lacking in power.

(I can only assuming the OP is just trolling, so I'll play along)

6. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

G26 or G27 are about the bottom of what I would consider a fast paced shooting piece for an aging person. Strength and coordination may be waning. A full palmed fit would be best. For carry, either will do if you are competent with it. It seems you are.
    I suggest a G19 or G23 for carry. Both are easily concealable, pack more firepower and are a good hand full.
    Best wishes

7. rfd339

rfd339

Flirting with this too but I still go for my g27 when I carry. My g26 shoots great too. All of your g27 shots are still in the b27 target. Both will get the job done. I do agree with post above me about the g19/g23 too. Great shooting and stay safe.

Sam___, texas 48 and Glockworks like this.
  8. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

I have been a glock talk member since 2007 and the last thing I am is a troll. You however have only 127 posts and been on glock talk for 6 months. Your remark indicates who the troll really is on This thread is and its you. Your screen name is another clue of your level of maturity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

whatever... you still have a decent caliber. i will trade a less perfect target for 10 mm or 357sig power. that’s my choice. you can shoot whatever your comfy with.

greg vanstralen, Joco34 and texas 48 like this.
  10. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

Thanks Keith I own both 23 and 19 and you are correct about weak hand palm placement. I can carry baby glocks better concealed than the 19 or 23, since I live in South Texas and wear golf shirts most of the year and cant conceal them for work. I shoot the 23 much better than my 27. I prefer the stronger .40 but father time is catching up with me, arthritis getting worse and strength is not what it used to be. For EDC the 26 is looking like a more effective choice. I shoot both my .40’s and my 9’s weekly but lately the 26 is a better choice considering the facts of life. A mans got to know his limitations.

11. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Tex I prefer to EDC my G-27, and have done so since the1990's, so I too am showing my age. My brother a Police Leiutenant in the Detroit area recently down sized his BUG in my opinion going from a G-26 to a G-43. He gave me that 2.5 Gen G-26 and I put Glock night sights on it and took it to the range. Wow, it was an experience like yours but like rfd the Ol G-27 still gets the nod. But who knows someday I may too down size and replace the 27 with a 26?!?

Mediabug, pgabdo and texas 48 like this.
  12. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

The extra round and slightly reduced recoil give the 26 the edge. You can’t go wrong with either though.

13. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

I carried my 10’s for years. 10’s are lasers and any well placed shot can end most 2 legged threats. Just not practical for me anymore. My hands bark at me when I fire my full power loads. The G20 or the G29 are by far the most accurate of all my handguns. I still take them out for exercise because my G20 is my bedside gun.. 357 sig is also a devastating round when well place.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  14. gatorboy

gatorboy

You should try a Glock 32. It really is the best of both IMO. If you want, I'll send you my barrel to try for a few days. I have other options and won't miss her too bad for a few days.

15. yep380

yep380

I think a lot of folks tend to overthink caliber. Good hits are what count; people don't like getting shot, period.

As for the shooting demonstrated in the OP, my feeling is either of those guns will prove effective at the distance of 7 - 10 yards.

16. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

Thanks Gatorboy, I once owned a .357 sig barrel for my 27 loved the round but have always had difficulty reloading that round. I roll my own for all of my guns. Just couldn’t get .357 rounds made without setback. Dont want to invest in new dies and shell-cases. That .357 sig is one flat shooting round.

scoose and gatorboy like this.
  17. Old Buzzard 74

Old Buzzard 74

We do?
    Let me guess this is more of that "settled science" I keep hearing about.
    I think there is a troll, and it's not the OP.

18. Keith Pierson

Keith Pierson Exploring Alternate Routes

I'm almost dead center between Dallas and Tyler. I wear Polo type shirts a lot as well. T shirts are usually the fill in. Get a good self supporting holster. The comfort is a higher level, the placement is almost unlimited, and you can wear it with anything.
    I carry a G23 daily, concealed. On occasion I'll go with a G22 just for giggles and because I can, or the wife made off with the 23. No matter the choice, this is a good idea.
    Happy Hunting

texas 48 and LarryE like this.
  19. alnicoG22

alnicoG22

We are lucky to have so many choices.

20. texas 48

texas 48 Gold Member

I might go with that if I didnt have to tuck my shirt in. Have a good belt and carry AIWB at 12:30 in leather holster Kusiak holster, the butt of the compacts print my baby glocks disappear. On the weekend I carry my 23 the same way but get away with an untucked shirt. Work wont allow printing but no prohibitions about concealed.