Finally did it!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by ateamer, Feb 23, 2010.

1. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Front squat, that is. My wrists and shoulders have always been too tight to keep the bar racked, and crossing the arms just didn't work for me. For the last few weeks, I have been doing power cleans a couple times a week. Racking the bar via the clean and the subsequent partial front squat was just the trick. The wrists are still tighter than they should be, but I was able to do some ***-top-heels front squats with light weight today. Now it's just a matter of ignoring the discomfort and keeping up with it.

I've started following 5/3/1 for bench, squat and military, but not doing deadlifts. Before doing benches, I warm up with some light power snatches, and do power cleans prior to squatting. I've been dealing with a pulled right hip flexor and wasn't able to squat for the last three weeks, so did cleans instead, following 5/3/1. I'm going to add snatches before military as well.

Guess it's time to get a whippier bar for the home gym - the Jesup power bar is not that great for O-lifts. Gotta check craigslist and Play It Again Sports for some used bumpers - I have plenty of iron plates to trade.

2. BradD

BradD

Very cool stuff!

3. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

Nice. I hope one day to have barbells and plates of my own.

4. silentpoet

silentpoet

You could do zercher squats.

5. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Great job ateamer. So is an OL competition in your future?

6. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Nah, just doing power snatches and power cleans for some overhead strength, mobility and speed. I have pretty much no desire to compete again - it took a lot of dedication to where everything else was in second place and it was too much like work. I'm just lifting to be strong, big and to have fun. And for functional core performance across multiple domains of parameters.

7. BradD

BradD

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've been looking at a computer model all day of a structure with numerous modes across narrow frequency bandwidths. Does that count? I guess I'd have to git broadband on its butt to be hardkoar. LOL