Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Watch the Palmetto State Armory site. They sometimes have great prices on GI and Magpul mags. Have at least of dozen of them on hand. Regardless of your level of experience, look into getting a two-point sling such as Vickers or Vtac. Slings function as holsters for long guns. Almost all ARs run with some form of a red dot sight, but its okay if you wait before acquiring one. Seeking a basic training or familiarization class for the AR should be a must-do. You will probably want the sling for that. For what its worth in my years as a LE firearms instructor, I encountered individuals who claimed military experience with similar platforms (M16 and M4), who didn't remember the first thing about assembly/disassembly, cleaning & lube, or even how to zero the iron sights. Affordable rifle marksmanship training can be had through Project Appleseed. Sometimes Appleseed only offers training on rimfire (.22LR) only ranges, but there are occasions when they allow centerfire semi auto rifles. Definitely a good use of $65-70 cost for the course for two days of shooting and quality marksmanship training.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I used to spend about 7-10 days a month on the range. One thing I noticed is that this gun (the AR15) is chronically under lubricated at the gun range. If there are ten AR15 rifles on the range, 8 or 9 of them will be under lubricated.

So my advice? Get a good quality lubricant. And put some on. Especially before you hit the range. Every gun that is choking or having problems is dry as a bone. This gun cannot be over lubricated. Use more than you think it needs. It will sling off any excess oil it doesn't need.

Get a .22 bore snake to clean the barrel.

Get an AR15 chamber brush to clean the chamber. This is the most important step to cleaning an AR15 in my opinion.

Magpul gen 3 magazines are the best mags available. Get a bunch of them. Any other brand of polymer mag is mehhhhh. Okay brand aluminum magazines are the best aluminum magazines.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I used to spend about 7-10 days a month on the range. One thing I noticed is that this gun (the AR15) is chronically under lubricated at the gun range. If there are ten AR15 rifles on the range, 8 or 9 of them will be under lubricated.

So my advice? Get a good quality lubricant. And put some on. Especially before you hit the range. Every gun that is choking or having problems is dry as a bone. This gun cannot be over lubricated. Use more than you think it needs. It will sling off any excess oil it doesn't need.

Get a .22 bore snake to clean the barrel.

Get an AR15 chamber brush to clean the chamber. This is the most important step to cleaning an AR15 in my opinion.

Magpul gen 3 magazines are the best mags available. Get a bunch of them. Any other brand of polymer mag is mehhhhh. Okay brand aluminum magazines are the best aluminum magazines.
Agreed. CLP by Safariland is your friend. After learning AR-15s, all I use for all firearms is CLP. Nary an issue that is gun-only related. It works, and it works well.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
If you want more mags try to stick with magpul and good gi mags (okay brownells etc)

The rifle itself will serve you very well I have one with many thousands of rounds through it with nary a hiccup

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
enjoy your new purchase. ammo costs will eventually come down, be patient.
Yep, buying ammo has been a pain in the ass thus far lol. Spent probably $300 on glock ammo just for shooting at the range. Doesn't seem like much, but damn do the rounds go quickly lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Congratulations, this was my entry into AR's as well, it had ran flawlessly since day 1. I changed out all the furniture on mine and had Vortex Strikefie 2 and magnifier combo on it to start with.

Then after building several other AR's from scratch I recently decided to give it a makeover. New handguard, flash hider, Vortex Sparc 2, better irons and a Wilson Combat 3.5# trigger.

Unless you have tiny hands I would recommend grip upgrade, something a little thicker so you have better finger placement on the trigger. Some people like the stock grip so I would go run it a while and find what works for you. And as stated mags, Magpul definitely and I will also recommend Lancer. If you live in a state where you can have ammo shipped to you Ammoseek will be your friend.
Let us know what you think when you get back from the range.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Congratulations, this was my entry into AR's as well, it had ran flawlessly since day 1. I changed out all the furniture on mine and had Vortex Strikefie 2 and magnifier combo on it to start with.

Then after building several other AR's from scratch I recently decided to give it a makeover. New handguard, flash hider, Vortex Sparc 2, better irons and a Wilson Combat 3.5# trigger.

Unless you have tiny hands I would recommend grip upgrade, something a little thicker so you have better finger placement on the trigger. Some people like the stock grip so I would go run it a while and find what works for you. And as stated mags, Magpul definitely and I will also recommend Lancer. If you live in a state where you can have ammo shipped to you Ammoseek will be your friend.
Let us know what you think when you get back from the range.
Wow, yours looks sick! What are those handguards if you don't mind me asking? I love the "tactical" battle look of those kinds. Very attractive

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow, yours looks sick! What are those handguards if you don't mind me asking? I love the "tactical" battle look of those kinds. Very attractive
Thanks its actually the same rifle just a before and after. The first one is a carbine length quad rail, The other is a 12" keymod free floating handguard. Got them both off ebay when they still sold AR stuff, they are built really well. I also added a magpul angled grip on the first and an aluminum UTG on the new one. You have to replace the gas block with a low pro to get the second one on. It sounded like a lot of work when I first got into AR's but its really not.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
I don't get ever time someone mentions the Sport II someone else has to say it's a good entry level rifle. The Sport II is a good rifle period and will do anything you need in a AR short of attacking the Taliban.
The only thing I suggest is a better rear sight or some type of optic. Take the money you could spend on mods and buy a cheap PSA and mod the crap out of it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
consider wisely before you start hanging all sorts of crap off of it.
Wise words, I think most of us that have been doing AR's for a while would have done things different knowing what we know now.
Will do. Shooting it tomorrow! Very excited to say the least.
Great, let us know what you think, I have one to test as well.
Only thing I’d change is the hand grip. I like the more vertical ones, especially when the stock is more collapsed. It is better on your wrist. Something like a B5, BCM or Magpul or there’s several others out there. I just really can’t stand an A2 style grip.
My thoughts exactly, I could not stand those A2 style. I recently tried a more vertical one and like it better.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts