Filters.......??? Which one

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by WINGS, Jul 31, 2007.

1. WINGS

WINGS CLM

Which one should I get, mainly as a lens protector to leave on the camera.

Are polorizing filters worth having and why?

Any thoughts on a Tiffen 812?

There are Tiffen online deals on 3 packs - UV, Polarizing and the 812. That's why I ask.

Thanks
    W

2. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

for every photographer that uses filters for protection, there is one who doesn't. it can be a hotly debated topic. ;)

the botttom line; IF you going to use a 'protection' filter, buy the best available. Hoya Pro, B&W, Nikon Clear, etc. don't put low quality glass in front of good lens glass. ;)

3. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

I use a sky 1A on all my lenses. A circuler polarizer is great for adding intensity to sky, or water or leaves outside. It can also reduce unwanted reflection.

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Just to clarify - Sky 1A is a pink-tinted filter. It changes the color of the light entering your lens. I take it you use it with film cameras, not digital?

5. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

Yes, I use the Sky 1A with film. Now that I think about it I looked and my Tamron 28-200 has a UV filter not a Sky 1A on it.

6. WINGS

WINGS CLM

Sorry I didn't mention that I'm using the filter on my new Olympus SP550UZ digital.

7. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I may be wrong, but the only time the needed filter will change based on film or digital is with a polarizer: linear for film and circular for digital.

Stick to big names: Hoya's multicoated, B+W and so on.

Don't buy no-name filters off eBay or at your store. Step-up/step-down/adapter rings are fine as knock offs but anything with glass just won't produce good images.

I bought a three buck filter off eBay once. It was red and I wanted it for color. I intended to use it in another way than slapping on the end of my lens so I wasn't concerned with quality. When it arrived, it was a very nice piece of Nikon glass that I am pretty fond of now (but don't tell Nipper that). You can get good stuff off eBay for cheap but you have to really know what you are looking for, pay close attention to the details and get to know the seller.

8. jolly roger

jolly roger

Circular polarizer is a must even in these days of photoshop. Stick with a good UV filter as stated by others. Putting a plasticky filter on a good lens is akin to putting a Les Baer 1911 in a nylon Uncle Mikes holster...