close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Filling out ATF Form 1

Discussion in 'GATE NFA/Class III' started by CaptJim, Mar 23, 2010.

1. CaptJim

CaptJim Lifetime Member

HI,

Am wanting to turn my FN PS90 into an SBR, so I could later add a supressor without ending up with such a long package.

I would like to send the current barrel/receiver to someone to do the cutting/rethreading and of course this makes me the "manufacturer" of an SBR by virtue of having the barrel shortened.

I know that I need to apply to BATFE on form 1 and this is fairly straight forward, but I am confused on one point. As an FFL, do I need to get the local LE certification? The instructions specifically note that the picture and fingerprints are not needed if an FFL, but the Cert. instruction is not as clear.

I'm guessing that it isn't necessary, but want to get it right.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

For reference, here is the ATF Form 1:
    http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

The directions seem clear enough: that the fingerprints and photo are not required for other-than-Collector (ie C&R) FFLs, but the CLEO signoff is required for all individual makers, which would not include corporate entities, but would include any other FFL types (who do not have an SOT).

I don't know anyone with an FFL who has bypassed the photo and fingerprints in this manner, and I wasn't able to find any information about doing it- not even as a FAQ on the ATF web site.

If you read the analogous instructions on the same revision of the Form 4, it makes it more clear.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010

3. CaptJim

CaptJim Lifetime Member