close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

filleting a catfish

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jolt8me, Jun 20, 2006.

1. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

Today i caught a rather big catfish. My friend told me that you dont fillet them like you do a bass or trout. He says that instead of starting the first cut behind the gill that you do it halfway down the body. Is this true or can you fillet them like any other fish???

2. noway

noway

Fillet them like any other fish. The only cool think is no big fins or scales to get in the way or to remove ;)

3. 357glocker

357glocker

I don't know about half way down the body, but start right behind the side fins. On a large catfish (especially a flattie) it may seem like your starting the cut halfway down but that is because thier heads are so big compared thier body. It seems more so with the fish as it gets larger too because the girth usually grows more than the length (ie. a 25lb cat will not be much longer than a 15lb cat but will be much girthier.)

Short story: fillet it the same!

4. Los Suenos

Los Suenos JSC

Put LOTS of breading on that baby. Don't take any off after you've fried it up "to see how it really tastes". You don't want to know.

5. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I don't fillet catfish.

I gut, behead, defin and skin them.

Then I dip them in egg/flour batter, dip them in peppered cracker crumbs, and either fry them or bake them.

This is if the cats are small; for anything over 3lb or so I 'steak' them into 4" slabs before breading them.

BTW, catfish tastes excellent until the water gets over 65 or 70 degrees. Why else do you think they farm them?

And don't harvest after July 1?!

But you are correct--hot-water cats taste just like the ooze at the bottom of the lake.:shocked: :puking:

Best regards,

Eric