Fiiring pin channel liner-Needed?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by carpet1, Dec 11, 2013.

1. MCRD1965

MCRD1965

I'm feeling stupid, but WTH are "marine cups"?

I know what the retaining clips on the striker spring are, my fat fingers fumbled with them many times. Is this something special?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

What you are calling 'retaining clips' are called 'firing pin spring cups' by Glock.

The 'maritime' or 'marine' spring cups are designed for use in wet environments to insure that water can move through the cups easier so the gun can still fire reliably should it be immersed in water.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

3. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy In the STL

Do Gen1 and Gen2 have this firing pin channel liner?

On Glock's armorers parts order form it only lists one for Gen3 & Gen4

4. Butch

Yes, they do.

5. nraman

nraman

No harm at all, I would suggest that you also throw the firing pin away, it really improves the trigger.
    I wish this thread was a joke.

6. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

They may have been talking about the Glock 7. You know.. the one that costs a months salary. Yes, it is that special.

7. carpet1

carpet1

After Tuesday night's match where I had 7 out of 20 rounds not fire, I assure you it is not a joke. This afternoon 50 rounds and all fired. If any body had felt the trigger pull before repairs were made, they would have thought a dirty M&P trigger had been installed. Anyway, thanks to all who helped with advice. Hadn't thought about the firing pin.

8. Butch

You've actually used one haven't you? :supergrin:

My issued duty weapon is an M&P....I just might borrow that line sometime! In all fairness, I understand the M&P trigger has been improved to feel more 'Glocklike'.....(not S&W's description).

9. ShallNotBeInfringed

ShallNotBeInfringed NRA Business Al

LEO part only..

sent from my rotary wall phone

10. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

To anybody else out there wondering the same thing, I just encountered the same problem...

The trigger on my spare G23 felt awful, and I had several failures-to-chamber, which I thought were due to new reloads (I'm stingy about sizing).

When I came home and checked out the gun, I could actually watch the slide move back 1/8" as I pulled the trigger, because the firing pin was pulling the slide rearwards, rather than being drawn rearward through the firing pin channel.

(To whoever said that the firing pin has nothing to do with trigger feel: You're wrong!)

I disassembled and the problem-G23's channel liner kept coming out with the firing pin.

FWIW, dry-firing worked fine with no channel liner, because the spring cups keep the firing pin aligned.

After reading this thread, I'm going to go examine the spring cups...

11. Mike-M

Mike-M

Welcome to the General Glocking Forum, B-74.

It would probably be best to start your own new thread instead of resurrecting one more than six years dead. It's more fun too. :)

SARDG likes this.
  12. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

I thought of starting a new thread, but it's not a "new" topic, and I'm purposefully riffing on Carpet1's experience, since my little odyssey was the same...

Tone Deaf likes this.
  13. Glock 17L

Glock 17L

WOW a Nacropost from 2013..

I have seen several Glocks that after the owner disassembled the striker assembly = removed spring cups & spring, When they where put back together they didn't make sure the end space of the spring was offset from the break between the two cups causing the whole assembly to be slightly larger outside diameter & cause it to stick in the channel liner..
    This happens to just about everyone who doesn't know how to install it right.. = Very Common.. If it where mine I'd install a new channel liner too.. The old one will be wore out& also note that there's two different ends to the liner a flat & tapered end.. Tapered end goes in the channel liner hole first & set in place with the punch that fits it's inside diameter, I made one from a brass punch years ago..

Welcome to the Forum Bimmer74
    Gary/G17L

-JCN- likes this.
  14. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

This sounds about right... I'm going to tear that G23 apart (yet again) and closely examine the spring cups.
    If necessary, I have a spare set (and a spare liner).
    I'm only waiting for my liner installation tool to arrive ($7 on eBay), because I can't seem to get the liner to go in and stay in.

TL;DR: This G23 was an ugly duckling from GunBroker, and I disassembled the slide, Durakoted it, and then reassembled it. It worked fine after all that (three years ago), and it was just last week that I had it out again and realized the trigger sucked.
    I'm worried, too, that I might have Durakoted the firing pin channel... I may hand-twist the correct size drill bit in there to make sure it's clear.

15. MCRD1965

MCRD1965

Do these liners really wear out? What is the indication? The spring cups would seem to be the only contact with the liner.

Odd how the various exploded parts pictures never show this part. Have to admit I never know it was in there until I looked.

16. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

I'm happy to see that Mike-M's head did not explode with all the cock-eyed goings on in this thread !

SARDG likes this.
  17. L-2

L-2

Advice:
    Anybody who may be worried the channel liner or spring cups may be causing a rough trigger pull, buy both the spring cups and the channel liner.

Once received, try the spring cups first.
    If the trigger pull still seems rough, remove the channel liner (use an appropriate sized lag bolt;
    I don't remember what exact size) by screwing in a long enough and large enough lag bolt and pull out the channel liner;
    you can throw away the old channel liner at this point as the removal process ruined it;
    clean out the slide's firing pin channel, which probably won't be too dirty;
    use a good CLP with q-tips and blow out with compressed air;
    push in the new channel liner (there's a slightly tapered end which should go in first, toward the front);
    you don't need to buy any special channel liner install tool, just use a dowel/punch/pen (just something of the right diameter to push the channel liner into the slide);
    you'll want to keep the inside of the channel liner free from scratches so any tool being used to push in the channel liner shouldn't enter the inside of the liner.

18. vmann

vmann Controller

It’s part of the firing system, if your channel liner if messed up it will cause drag during pretravel....so yea it does have something to do with the feel of your trigger...

19. vmann

vmann Controller

20. vmann

vmann Controller

I bought a brand new in the box gen4 26 a few years ago ordered online grab a gun...

During inspection I noticed a gritty trigger feel during pretravel...didn’t bother me much as I would plan on polishing everything up when I did my first detail strip.

after shooting it a few times I realized it was time to clean it all up...after a polish job it was still gritty, so I swapped everything out with components from another gun...damn, still messed up. It wasn’t until I put the slide on another frame that I realized it was something in the slide...

I watched this video...and there you have it, 25 years of glocking and I have never had an issue with the channel liner...

I went with lonewolf channel liner and all is perfect now!