Fiiring pin channel liner-Needed?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by carpet1, Dec 11, 2013.

1. carpet1

carpet1

After fighting with a trigger pull that felt like dragging a saw over a piece of pipe, 2 fellows told me to take it out. Not needed, I was told. Sure made the trigger pull lighter and smoother. Any harm in doing this? What can happen?

2. Phelen_Kell

Phelen_Kell

it's been awhile but IIRC, it aligns the striker assembly.

Best to buy a new one and put it back in. Maybe yours was buggered up causing you to have trigger problems.

It's not a part that needs to be taken out to be cleaned or anything.

3. clarson_75

clarson_75

It aligns the striker with the firing pin hole and acts as a buffer between the metal spring and the metal slide. Gun should work some of the time without that liner. Since they only cost a couple bucks I'd highly recommend a new one.

4. trigger19isbest

trigger19isbest

The striker (firing pin) will rattle and bounce around in the channel. Think of it like this . . . does Glock go to the expense of designing, building and selling a firearm, with unnecessary parts? If so, what other part/parts can you discard? I don't think there are any.

Channel Liners are cheap. May I suggest that you get two? Install one and keep the other for a spare.

5. Made in Austria

Made in Austria

Wow, you fired your Glock without the FP channel liner in it? I always thought that the tip of the firing pin will hit the inner breech face wall and mess up the tip of the FP without the guidance through the FP hole from the channel liner. Did you check your firing pin yet?

6. carpet1

carpet1

I dry fired it one time. I have ordered 2 more liners. I had a spare, and used it after the problems at the IDPA match last night. I understand the function of the liner. Glock has not always used the liner, if I remember correctly. Just curious how important the liner is to functioning of the pistol. I am going to check the original liner tonight to see if it is rough, or has sharp edges on it

7. fastbolt

fastbolt

Is the trigger bar/connector area clean and lubricated? Another Glock armorer had a small bit of grit/gravel work its way up behind his trigger bar, and it gave him a very rough trigger pull ... before it completely stopped his TB from moving back under the connector far enough to release the firing pin. Not good.

Are the spring cups in good condition & properly installed? Did the edge of one of them slip up and over the other, misaligning them?

Trigger spring in good condition, installed properly?

As far as the channel liner ... yes, it's a necessary part if you want the intended, optimal functioning & operation of the gun. ;) However, check it and make sure it hasn't become damaged. (Beveled edge toward front.)

Is the FP channel clean and clear of any debris, grit, etc? Anything that could interfere with the normal operation of the FP assembly?

FP assembly in good condition?

Trigger mechanism housing in good condition, undamaged? (Don't forget to look at the left side, where the TB rides and drops off)

8. carpet1

carpet1

Fastbolt, several things for me to check. Good advice. Of the 6 Glock.s I own, this model 35 is the only one showing these problems.

9. Cashgap

Cashgap

Hmm?

10. cciman

cciman

2 fellows??

Fellows of what?

Clean the firing pin channel if you must with a Q tip, then look for reasons why your trigger feels rough-- trigger feel is not related to the firing pin (or anything inside that) one bit.

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Before I wasted money on a channel liner which is probably just rough inside I would maybe get some micro diamond files and a microscope and try to repair the inside of the liner by smoothing it out. :supergrin:

12. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Whoever's giving you your information needs to go (back?) to Glock armorer school.

Any time someone says there Glock trigger is 'rough', it makes me wonder if they are trying to use the trigger like a double action (letting the trigger move all the way forward and then pulling it all the way to the rear for each shot) instead of using the reset to shoot it as it was intended (and as it works best).

Does your G35 have a 'minus'/3.5/4.5 connector (and coil spring) in it?

13. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg Losf3d3r4135

They offered poor advice. Leave it in. Don't fill it with oil. Removing it does not make the trigger pull lighter or smoother. I have yet to encounter a glock that didn't have a decent trigger feel after about fifty actuations, whether shooting or dry, as long as the gun was properly lubed. Good luck whatever you choose.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  14. DocWills

DocWills

Most designs, not just guns, start with basic parts and get stuff added to enhance the concept. The firing pin channel liner holds critical stuff in alignment and serves to lubricate the firing pin.

Your car really will run faster, no pesky friction device to slow it down, without brakes. However, they are a pretty good add on.

Till you get that pesky engineering degree id leave it be.

I usually tell folks there is a good reason not to do stuff that no one else is doing.

Ive seen a lot of reliable guns fail and when we get to looking close usually they have been improved somehow.

JDJ likes this.
  15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Yours it's needed,........your fellows are idiots!

16. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Your, 'saw over a pipe' analogy is an exaggeration - Right!

Whatever your problem actually is, what it ain't is the channel liner. I'd be curious to know how you managed to get it out of the striker channel? (Not usually an easy thing to do.)

Butch may have hit the nail on the head by guessing that you aren't firing your Glock from the trigger's reset position. (Hold the trigger slightly to the rear after firing the first shot. You'll hear it snap in place for every shot thereafter.)

The very first schematics of a Glock Model 17 show a channel liner (Midway Part #2, Brownell's Part #35, 'Channel Liner'). Your Model 35, probably, already has a, '-' (minus) connector in it; but, if not, you should add one.

If you don't presently use a 6 lbs. trigger spring, you might want to add one. (Wolff Gunsprings sells them.)

NOTE: Many annoying trigger pull problems actually come from the area around the striker safety button. How's that little striker safety spring doing?

17. carpet1

carpet1

I am pretty sure I have solved the problem. I completely stripped the 35 last night. A set of the cup springs with the slots in them had been installed over the firing pin spring. The cups have to be too large, when the firing pin moves, the liner moves with it, instead of staying in place inside the slide. The fit was way too tight. Tried 2 channel liners with same results. Put new cups on the spring, and function is perfect, no binding inside the liner. I believe the cups were dragging the liner back and forth. Everytime I pulled the pin out, the liner came with it.
    As to my 2 friends advice, the reason I posted on this forum was to get advice from people much more knowledgable than 2 shooters I may know. As always, the advice from the fine folks who answered my question is much appreciated.
    By the way, it does have a 6lb spring, Ghost connector, and has been lubricated according to the Glock manual. This was a used pistol, almost new when I got it. Maybe the original owner pawned it cause he had so many mis-fires. It didn't matter how I fired the pistol, 40% of my primers were struck, but did not go off.

18. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Glad you solved the problem. I've got two questions I'd appreciate you to answer. (1) How did you get the channel liner out? (2) Are you saying that you've traced this problem to a defective pair of maritime spring cups? I'd really like to know, thanks.

19. carpet1

carpet1

First, I have used a 22 cal plastic brush to gently push into the liner. Then pull out.
    I noticed with the marine cups on the firing pin, the liner always stuck to the firing pin as I pulled it out.. I realized last night that wasn't right. The cups stuck on 2 different liners, one new. To the point I had to force the firing pin into the liner. The cups really grabbed the liner. I would push the liner into the slide, insert the firing pin, and it would be stuck in the liner. Pull out the pin, and both came out, the liner stuck to the firing pin. Being that tight I think caused the very light blows on many bullets. I took apart my 34, and the firing pin fit like it was supposed to. Tried that firing pin on all 3 liners, and worked perfect. Removed the marine cups, installed OEM cups, and the 35 seems to work like it should. I have not had a chance to measure, but I am certain they are just a little too large. Yes, they were installed correctly. I believe the sawing effect on the trigger pull was a combination of the tight cups, and or spring, dragging on the cups. After replacing the cups, and nothing else, the trigger pull is very good.

20. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Thanks! Now I know, 'Why' I've never used marine spring cups in any of my Glock builds. (The, 'kids in the peanut gallery' really seem to love 'um, though.)