close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Field Stripping Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Another19, Nov 7, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Another19

Another19

This may not be an actual gunsmithing issue, but here goes.

Sorry I'm not up on the Glock nomenclature.

It seems that when retracting the slide to field strip a Glock, there are three things one can do. My question is about #3.

1) Retract the slide just the slightest amount and it will move off the front of the frame easily.

2) Retract the slide too much and it will set the trigger to the forward position and the slide can not be removed.

3) Retract the slide a little more than necessary but not enough to set the trigger forward. A small amount of resistance is met when moving the slide forward off the frame, and there is a small clicking noise. It looks to me like the piece inserted to the rear face of the slide is angled at the bottom, allowing it to reset one of the pieces in the rear of the frame. (Sorry, I tried to find an exploded view that lists parst names, but couldn't)

When #3 happens, is it ok to remove the slide, or should you reset the trigger, pull the trigger, then try again to achieve #1? Obviously #1 is the ideal, but does #3 cause any damage? When I first took mine down I did it as in #3 because the manual just says not to retract the slide enough to move the trigger into the forward position, and I thought the little click was just part of takedown.

I hope I've explained this clearly enough. If not, please let me know and I'll try to clarify. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. CaptHook

CaptHook

3. Another19

Another19

Ihaven't had trouble field stripping, I'm just concerned that I did something wrong while doing it. Thanks

4. Another19

Another19

I've been told that if you meet slight resistance it's ok, as long as the trigger hasn't moved to its forward position. Basically that the click I hear is ok and that if it WILL come off then everything's ok. True?