Field Day

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KG4IDA, Jun 16, 2007.

1. KG4IDA

KG4IDA

I'm just curious what people are doing for field day this year if anything? For years my friends and I set up on our own but we're getting a little too old for that. One friend owns a 50' tower on a trailer so we will probably join one of the clubs in the area. One other problem is that when you look up the term "the best is the enemy of the good" it has another friend's photo.

2. martho

martho

http://w9ca.kicks-ass.org/

This is my field day group. I know I have posted this before, so some of you may have seen these pix already.

3. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

what are you using the FT 1500 for in this photo?
    [​IMG]

4. Agonizer

Agonizer .

I operate from home with a generator. Class 1E

5. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

I'll be with the Montgomery County (TX) ARES group in Conroe. We'll be near the Lone Star Convention Center for anyone with interest in checking us out. I've been handling the press releases, invitations to public officials, etc.

6. martho

martho

Anyone have any good FD stories?

I was on 40m phone about 0700z when VK4LS called us. He was much louder than any of the stateside who were calling under him.

7. GySgt D

GySgt D

I can make out "144.390" on the display, so it is for APRS.

I use my old HTX-202 for mine.

8. martho

martho

That is correct. This was one of our demos for FD 2006

9. N1PJ

N1PJ NRA Member

I was at the Worcester MA EOC field day. We were using W1C and we were 5F WMA for the 2 days. I made about 30 contacts or so. We tried to work every bird that flew over but we didn't have enough power to get in. Next year we are going to use a little more power and set up the radio before hand so we can actually make a satallite contact.

10. martho

martho

Which bird were you trying to work? FO-29 and VO-52 are easy to work with small yagis minimal power.

11. N1PJ

N1PJ NRA Member

We tried VO-52 and a couple others. We had a couple were it was just so many people calling we couldn't get into the repeater.

12. martho

martho

VO-52 is not a repeater, it is a linear bird. Repeaters usually have one input and one output frequency. There are multiple uplink frequencies which invert to the downlink on a linear bird. You can run SSB and CW into the bird and there is tons of room. I would bet that you could have 20 - 25 QSO's going on the bird at any given time.

Are you sure that you were not trying one of the FM birds? The FM birds are mostly useless on FD. They even changed the FD rules this year to limit your FM bird contacts to one. Think about everyone within 20 miles of your local 2m repeater all trying to use it at the same time. That is how the FM birds sound.

I listened to FO-29 about 0930z as it came directly over the middle part of the US from north to south. I called CQ a few times, but there was no activity. Not one QSO to be had on a satellite, what a shame.

Any idea what rig they were using?

13. N1PJ

N1PJ NRA Member

That is right. VO-52 we were trying to get in but the radio was tracking the doppler shift wrong so every time we heard the bird it would shift of frequency. We were using SSB to try to make a contact. We need to get the radio set up right next time for that satallite and then it should be easier to hear it without it tracking wrong. The ones we had trouble getting into were the FM birds. Yea we tried a couple FM ones and we couldn't jump in to get a contact. We tried but I don't think we were even getting through. Everyone was jumping on top of eachother.