close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fiction or non-fiction?

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by Cassius, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Cassius

Cassius

I grew up loving just fiction, particularly science fiction and fantasy. Asimov, Tolkien, Heinlein, Salvatore, et al.

The older I get, the more I find I like reading non-fiction books, particularly educational or motivational ones, like books on real estate, finances, personal development -- such as Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, also Dale Carnegie books and the like.

My bookshelves at home are now about half and half (I got rid of the billion Star Trek books I had as a kid a long time ago =P).

So what say you, fiction or nonfiction?

2. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Also, you might want to check out some books in the "historical novel" category. These are works of fiction set in historical background and may include real people from our past.

Good luck!

3. jacquejet

jacquejet

Over the last 9 years, spending 15 or so days a month on trips, I found myself reading lots of fiction. For the most part, my selections consisted of SF and techno/kill the terrorist brain candy. Sensing my brain was turning to mush, I decided that if I read a fiction novel, I had to read a nonfiction book as well. Since then, I have started reading Civil War (The War of Northern Agression) history, biographies as well as sporting histories. All in all, it has worked out pretty well.

4. Cassius

Cassius

I haven't read much of this genre, but there is one author someone turned me onto a long time ago that I absolutely LOVE

Leon Uris

5. repooc

repooc Millennium Member

I like to read fiction. I like nonfiction on my cd player while driving my daily route.

6. GAC

GAC

I read both fiction and nonfiction books and tend to read several books on one side and then switch to the other.

My favorite nonfiction authors are Bill Bryson - who has a new book out The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - and John McPhee.

Bryson is an hilarious writer. Sunburned Country about visiting and exploring Australia, and A Walk in the Woods about hiking the Appalachian Trail with an H.S. buddy are fantastic.

McPhee can make any topic interesting. He pulls together the history of his topic and ties it into modern day activities. I really liked Looking for a Ship where he traveled on a merchant marine cargo ship from the East coast, around South America, and through the Panama Canal. Great writing about the people he travels with and the history of merchant shipping.

7. Mix

Mix

Mostly non-fiction. History books so I can debate people on various issues.

:thumbsup:

8. Klebanoff

Klebanoff

Both have their places. In my opinion the best fiction is good because it's true. I realize such a claim sounds like a contradiction, but look at great writers like Shakespeare, Dostoevsky, Camus etc. Yes, they wrote fiction, yet their writing is nonetheless true because it speaks to fundamental truths about the human condition. In my opinion, all writing (fiction or non fiction) must to that to truly be great.

9. glkdawg45

glkdawg45

W.E.B. Griffin "The Corps" series. Historical fiction of the Marine Corps.
    Great reading. It started right before Pearl Harbor, with the "China Marines", Marines that were stationed in China.

Has gone thru WW II and now is into the Korean War.