close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fiber Optic Sights

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by glockess56, Aug 26, 2006.

1. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

I would like an opinion about fiber optic sights. I recently had my a fiber optic sight installed on the front while my rear sight is a Heinie sight on my G17. Has anyone had experience using fiber optic sights shooting either Indoor or outdoor GSSF events? Do you like them better than using Heinie sights for both front and back? I am wondering whether I have to get used to it, or if I want to go back to using just my Heinie sights for front and back. Those were great to use and I don't know if I have to get used to this fiber optic front sight or if all of this is in my mental state - my head. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help.:upeyes:

2. GLW

GLW

I've done a little experimentation with the sights on my glocks. It's going to boil down to personal preference but for me the fiber optic front sight was not ideal for GSSF competition. I ended up going back to a plain post front sight. I found that the fiber optic confused the sight picture too much for precision work. If the lighting conditions changed from stage to stage, it was distracting to have a different sight presentation. This often occured with partly cloudy days or when some of the stages had tents and others didn't. The front sight I went to is a narrow blade, which for me gave me the feeling that I could place the shot more precisely and gave me more daylight on either side which helps when shooting fast.

Before you go to the trouble of changing them again, take the time to do a little comparison shooting. The next time you go practice, take a can of sight black with you. Shoot a magazine with the fiber optic in full daylight. Then shoot with some shade on the sights (an umbrella will do). Then shoot after application of sight black. The sight black can be cleaned off easily when you clean the gun and will not harm the fiber optic. This way you can decide for yourself. By the way, I still have fiber optic sights on my USPSA Production division glock but that's a different game and I'm still making my mind up if I like it or not.

Hope this helps and let us know what you decide.

P.S. If you can make it down to my clinic next month in Lexington, I'll be happy to let you try several of my glocks with different sight configurations. If you can't make it then, just stop me at the next GSSF match we both go to. See ya on the range.

3. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i use the dawson fiber optic front and heinie rear on all my competition glocks except for two with dawson adjustables and the c more gun. i tried the plain fronts and switched to the fiber optics. i do believe however that my eyes don't focus on the front sight as they should and i think the fiber optic helps with that. i'll add this, look at my scores from NASR yesterday, my 17 and 22 have the dawson adjustables with the plain front and the 27 has the heinie/dawson combo.