Glock 17 Fiber optic front plain rear sight recommendations for G17

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Frosco, May 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Frosco

Frosco

First let me say how much I love my G17. I have owned other 9mm pistols but this is the King in my opinion. The thing I'm not too fond of are the sights. It seems like I'm not the only one with this gripe.
    What I'm looking at doing is installing a plain rear sight with a fiber optic front sight. Does anyone have this set up or have any recommendations. One thing I do not want is a huge front sight where it takes all of the sight picture.
    Any help would be surely appreciated.

2. Deckard

Deckard

Frosco,
    I run the HiViz interchangeable front sight on my G34 with the stock Glock rear sight and it is a great combination for IDPA. You can change out the front fiber optic "pin" to either red or green and 3 different size dots (6 options total). For <$20 you can't go wrong & installation is a snap.
    Give that a try.

3. ipscshooter

ipscshooter Mostly IDPA now

I have the Dawson fiber optic on several of my Glocks. A Heinie Slant pro for the rear. You can get "race cut" rear Heinie from Custom Glock Racing http://custom-glock.com/index2.html Matt will set you up. Might be able to get the fronts and rear from him.

4. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

My duty Glock 17 is set up with a STEEL Glock OEM rear and a Hi-Viz overmolded front (red; .090). It's perfect for me because the Hi-Viz is narrower than the factory front. This setup is dead-on for 115gr. ammunition. I like the Glock rear for the "goalpost" outline and corrosion resistance. One caveat: keep Break-Free Powder Blast away from your Hi-Viz sight; I lost my green one (mounted on a range-beater G17) that way (clouded the lightpipe). Shooter's Choice polymer safe cleaner/degreaser is my new spray cleaner for a stripped slide. No harm to Hi-Viz sights.

Hi-Viz also makes a .125 width front; I prefer the narrower .090 variation. The overmold offers protection to the lightpipe from breakage - another plus for the Hi-Viz.

5. Frosco

Frosco

Thanks for the replies. Agent, where did you get the steel Glock rear sight? Can I buy it directly from Glock? I think that would be a great set up. Are thos HiViz sights pretty sturdy? Thanks again for the help.

6. gary newport

gary newport

Stock Glock steel rear sights can be purchased from GlockParts, Lone Wolf, etc. I'm experimenting with a HiViz (0.125) over-molded front and stock steel rear on one of my G37s. I suspect the over-molded sights are sturdier than those with a (more or less) exposed fiber-optic rod.

7. AgentM79

AgentM79 Platinum Member

Sorry for the delay in response; I couldn't get on GT yesterday. I bought the Hi-Viz sight directly from the Hi-Viz website. It (the red .090 overmold) was a new product and not available elsewhere at the time (2006). It has been replaced in their catalog with a 2007 version with a square, serrated sight face (with a circular lightpipe in the middle). I just bought the 2007 version from Midway for my aforementioned range-beater Glock, but haven't installed it yet.

The steel Glock OEM rear can also be purchased from Midway. Get their full-color catalog if you order from them; it's great.

The "overmold" provides maximum durability/protection of the lightpipe. I have read that the overmold slightly reduces the brightness of the sight (relative to an unshrouded light element), but mine is mounted on a duty weapon that could potentially see rough use. Different manufacturers use different methods to protect their light elements (cages, sight bodies open only on the top, etc). I'm very satisfied with mine; it's been on my duty G17 for a year with no problems.

To install the above setup, you will need front and rear sight tools. Hi-Viz sells a 3/16 driver for the front, but the Glock-made tool is far better because it is torque-limiting. Glock's rear sight tool is great, too, but others are available. RED (271) Loc-tite is a necessity for the front sight. The Hi-Viz front MIGHT require a small amount of fitting (my red one dropped in, the green one required minor work). An appropriate file would then needed for the sides of the sight base. This probably varies from gun to gun.

8. 40 Lefty

40 Lefty Guest

I have installed about a half dozen of the Warren Tactical Fiber in the front and the Heinie Wide Notch/CGR Racing Cut rear for IDPA guns. I use the Black-T finish on the Heinies.

I get the Warren Tactical from I-Shot.

I use Warren because they provide the exact front sight height needed to match the Heinie rear.

Everyone who has this setup likes it a lot!

9. SDM

SDM

10. Bill Dncn

Bill Dncn

Try Dawson's .100" wide f/o front. It won't cover the target, or completly fill up the rear notch.

Warren's are great. I am now using a Dawson adjustable rear on my G35, and a Bomar adj. rear on my G17. Like them both. I'd probably give the nod to the Bomar's.

Good luck

11. collinsk

collinsk

12. RayB

RayB Retired Member

My G17 is my primary range gun. I have the Dawson Precision Fiber Optic Adjustable set from CGR, and I have to say, I love em!

http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=000084

I would opt for something lower profile in a carry gun, or one with lots of holstering in mind. But for targets, these are the best I have!

Over 5000 rounds & zero problems.

--Ray

13. s0nny_g17

s0nny_g17

14. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I recently installed a set of f/o front Sevigny competition sights on my G17 and I couldn't be happier!
    The point of impact was dead on with 115gr and with 147gr ammunition offhand out to 20 yds.

The rear sight has no sharp edges to cut your hand like the Dawsons but they are high profile and work very well for doing one-handed clearance drills.
    They are a fantastic choice for competition shooting and I am 100% impressed with them!

Some places have stocking/backorder issues with them but I got mine from:
    http://www.cpwsa.com/warren_sevigny_sights.htm
    and they delivered very quickly.Chris is a good guy to do business with.

15. sam815

sam815

I just recently purchased a glock 34 and had the sevigny competition sights installed by Chris Patty at cpwsa and they are awesome. He received my glock on a Monday, called me Wednesday morning to let me know he was installing and they were on their way back that afternoon. He didn't install the front fiber optic since I didn't specify which color I wanted, anyway it took me about two minutes to install fiber front on. He's a great guy, wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again.

16. Frosco

Frosco

Thanks so much for all the input. It seems that the majority really like the Warren/Sevigney sights. Would you guys recommend fiber optic sights for carry because thats what I'm mostly looking at? Again thanks for the help.

17. gary newport

gary newport

Fiber-optic sights work best when they have a lot of light shining on them. At an indoor range without light directly shining on them, or even outdoors in the daytime with a roof shading the light pipes, they don't shine (so to speak) in my experience.

So long as you only carry in the daytime under an open sky, they should work fine! ;)

18. J.P.

J.P. Intergalactic

I don't think it really matters but Tritium is probably the best all around for carry.