Fi Brazil or older NM prefix to custom shop

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Black Cloud, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

I have been looking for a Springfield 1911 mil spec., as some of you guys may know from my previous posts. Well anyways last week I went to a local shop and found a used one. As I was stripping it down giving it the once over, I notice something in my peripheral vision blue and shiny. I looked over to my left, and wow an older mil spec. with the NM prefix.

The newer mil spec seems to have been fired very little and was immaculate, except for a rather long and noticeable idiot mark. The one with the NM prefix appeared to be in the same condition, except for some nicks in the blueing, and some very noticeable scratches behind and on the thumb safety. I also notice some small marks under the blueing on the left side of the pistol. I’m pretty sure it is rust from the Styrofoam protector in the box.

I was contemplating buy both until the salesman allowed me to completely tear it down, for a more intense inspection. As I did, I realized why there where scratches by the thumb safety. For what ever reason, it was almost impossible to get it off. Instead of prying it off like the previous owner, I applied slight pressure with one of the grips while flicking it on, and Walla. It appeared to be stock and unmolested, except for the trigger.

After some worth wild negotiating I walked out the door with both for a grand. So this is where you guys come in. I have not had a chance to contact S.A. for the date of manufacturing (the NM prefix), but which would you guys pick for a custom job?

I have been wanting to build another main carry pistol. The one have now is fine but, I’ve somewhat outgrown it. When I had it customized I was fairly new to 1911s, being a revolver and Glock guy. The changes are fairly subtle, but I like my carry pistols to be all black and it is time to change the sights. Other than that my current carry gun is perfect. A couple people suggest that I carry one of my semi custom guns, but then I couldn’t have fun building another one.

So should I send the newer Springer in and have fun reblueing, and fitting parts to the older one, or vise versa? Oh, did I mention that I’m sending it to Springfield’s custom shop?

Thanks in advance,
    Smitty

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. gconan

gconan

Shoot them side by side and then decide.
    Oh, and congratulations on the double purchase!

3. Quack

Quack Rent this space

send the crappier one to the custom shop.

4. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

Thanks I couldn't resist.

Great minds think alike. :supergrin:

5. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Custom shop the NM for sure, as it'll support your investment much better. If you ever want to sell it (doesn't hurt to keep your options open if something else irresistible comes up) the NM will definitely be more attractive of a build than one stamped "Brazil". And congrats on the adoptions.

6. Quack

Quack Rent this space

and by crappy, i'm talking fitting, internal burrs, etc...

7. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

Actually I didn’t see anything abnormal. The salesman told me the previous owner said he only put a box through it (50rounds), and from the looks of the NM I estimate about 400 +/-. The newer one appears to be well made and very tight. The only thing I saw was the idiot mark and a little scratch by the ejection port flare (normal wear). As for the NM it is as smooth as glass. I was thinking of sending this one because of the barrel. The bore is bright and the lugs (can’t remember the right terminology) are sharp, including the ones inside the slide, but it doesn’t seem to lock up tight. :dunno: Not to mention the scratches by the thumb safety. They are not deep, but could use some serious attention.

I’ll try to post some pics soon.

8. Rinspeed

Rinspeed JAFO

:thumbsup:

9. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

I have sold many pistol, but never my springers. I always shoot the crap out of them and then have them customized to my spec.

All they needed was a nice cleaning and some love. :supergrin:

10. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

11. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

12. Officer's Match

Officer's Match S.R.D. v

Even so, it makes a lot of sense to put the investment in the one that will support it, sort of like using a great motor in a Chevelle instead of a Caprice.

13. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

Well I had a couple of hours before work and decided to do some shooting. I shoot both of these pistol and the older Springfield performed the best.

I started out trying to test for reliability, and both function flawless. I put a total of a 150 rounds through both. I used a combination of WWB, and Academy’s Monarch brand. I was rather surprised since I used the crappy mags that cam with them. Two of the mags where made by Springfield, one a Colt 8 round, and two Amt magazines. So far I’m impressed.

As for the accuracy, I shoot both pistol freehand from 25 yards. I took my time trying to align these tiny sights (on the NM), which each shoot about 2-3 seconds apart. The one made in Brazil gave me constant groups of 2 ½ ”, with a couple of 5 shoot groups within an 2”. As for the one fitted in American, wow. All shoots were within an 1 - 1 ¾“. Out of the six groups I fired, 3 of them produced on jagged hole. It may have been 4, but I flinched for what ever reason opening the group to 2”.

I left the pistols with my nephew who showed up an hour late, and told him to test it for accuracy on a bench rest. Maybe my testing was flawed by my subconscious. So just to be more scientific, I’ll let him have some fun shooting groups. Who knows maybe I’ll convert him into a 1911 guy.

P.S. How do I tell if barrel is one or two pieces?

14. samuse

samuse

That's not a Mil-Spec, it's a Standard. If you send it in, have them mill the frame down to current specs, it'll be a lot more comfortabe to hold on to, and it'll look a lot better.

15. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

Hello Samuse

I am not familiar with that terminology. Can you please elaborate a little more.
    I still have not had time to call Springfield.

Thanks

16. Black Cloud

Black Cloud

My apologies Samuse. I should of elaborated more. What is a standard? I tried google, but came up with nothing.

17. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

I've got an early 90's - late 80's NM stainless steel Springfield Champion. It's got the barrel/bushing setup and not the current ramped barrel setup. I bought it in 1995 for $450. It's got maybe 1000 rounds max down the pipe and it's near flawless condition. It's not a safe queen, but it's mainly my BBQ gun. I show it off in a Milt Sparks NLG.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  18. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

If you send the more accurate one to be fancied up, you will save the cost of a barrel and bushing, there is nothing that gun needs for accuracy unless you plan on shooting NRA 50 yard slowfire.

A two piece barrel can be identified by a very fine gold seam between the front and second locking lugs, I think. Somewhere along the top of the barrel where they made the tube and front part of the breech section as one piece and then brazed it into a separate piece with the main locking lugs and link lug. They are not much risk of coming apart or as one critic said, letting smoke out the joint. After all, it is no different from the Monobloc system used in many fine O/U shotguns.

19. samuse

samuse

The standard was what S.A. had before the Mil-Spec. Your gun has G.I. style sights, lowered but not flared ejection port, slanted cocking serrations, the crossed cannons are behind the ejection port and the frame has a very blocky cut on the frontstrap and dustcover. It is like the opposite of a high cut frontstrap. It would be a good be a decent base gun for a build, at least it doesn't have Brazil on the side...