close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FHP Auxiliary interview questions

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gun Shark, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I have an interview for an auxiliary position with the Florida Highway Patrol tonight, any tips?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Good luck. Just off the top of my head - be honest. Some cops/troopers develop a slight ability to detect deception over the years.

3. johnluger

johnluger

Is it a interview with a BI at the lake worth/ turnpike station? Good luck.

4. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Be honest. That advice works for pretty much everything. Interviewing, working, relationships, anything.

5. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

I've been on several hiring boards. Be honest. Dress professionally and appropriate for the interview. First impressions are important. The interviewer is not only looking for what you answer but HOW you answer the questions. When you are telling the truth its easier to maintain eye contact (very important), be professional and don't tell them just what you think they want to hear. At the end of the interview, thank them for the opportunity and if you feel its appropriate, shake their hands.

6. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Sit straight, no slouching, eye contact, use your big boy voice, remember the panelist's names so you can thank them and include the names in there. Stay sharp. However, don't be afraid to take a second to make sure you know what you are saying and if you aren't sure of my question, ask me to clarify.

I've been on countless panels and it really makes no difference to me if a candidate asks me to repeat a question or to clarify something and then gives me a good answer. It will count against the candidate to give a response that is off the wall or irrelevant to my question.

If there is a multiple part question, make sure you answer all the parts. Ask if you have to, just to make sure you answered all of it.

One of the most impressive interviews I had was a female who knew what she was talking about and when asked a 4 part technical question, responded and answered all 4 sections one by one, in a clear, concise manner without having to ask us to repeat anything. All the other candidates missed a part or two of the multiple question. None of the other candidates asked us if they got all the parts before concluding their response. 4 out of 6 were already in the same level position with experience and this would have been a lateral move. The female was in a lower position so it was a promotion. Guess who got the job? (BTW, this was not an entry-level position but a six figure department head position for someone with some experience so the stakes were higher so you expected more prepping but still, the concept is the same)