close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

FFL In connecticut wont do transfer after recieving glock for me!

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Hackit25, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Hackit25

Hackit25

I purschased a Glock 20C from SilverTip and he of course sent the gun right away when he recieved my check. I had made arrangements with Hoffmans Gun Center in Newington, CT on the Berlin Turnpike to do the transfer for me. When I get there today and Scott (the owner) opens up the box he says he cant do the transfer because it was sent from an individual and not a dealer. What a load of poo poo! I know one I have done transfers like this in the past no problem. So I left the store (mad but I didnt show it) and drove the hour back home. I then called the ATF in Hartford and told them my delema and they told me it was perfectly legal for him to do the transfer for me the way it is now. If he doesnt believe me he can call the ATF office in Hartford.

Now I am going to be going back to the store tommorow to tell him what I learned. What I forgot to do is ask the ATF agent where in their code says that it is legal. Would anybody here have links to documents (from the ATF) saying how a transfer like this is legal that I could bring in with me tommorow?

Thanks a million!

2. Nukem

Nukem

Sorry - no. Just tell the dealer you'd be glad to call the ATF to arrange a visit so they can explain it to him...;Q

3. dw58

dw58 NRA Member CLM

ATF Online has a FAQ section. Look at item B3
    http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-state source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the
    purchaser's own state? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer. [18 U. S. C 922( a)( 3) and (5), 922( b)( 3), 27 CFR 178.29]

Good Luck

4. Guest

how in hell do these people stay in the bussiness if they don't know the regs ?

5. Foamy

Foamy 1200 rpm

How did they get an FFL in the first place???:(

6. photo_guy

photo_guy

They may know the regs but want to give you a hard time. Many gunshops don't like doing transfers on guns they have in stock. They would rather sell you one of theirs than have you buy one elsewhere.

Perhaps this is why they agreed to do your transfer until the gun arrived?

I really don't understand it since many places charge $25 or so just for the transfer so they are making some money and don't have inventory and the associated investments but, this seems to be very common.

7. Hackit25

Hackit25

Yea thats another thing that burns me. He has never had a Glock 20C in stock. I ask if he can get it and all he says is that they are hard to come by. What gall!

8. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

I had a shop try the same BS on me a few months ago when I bought my RRA lower receiver. He told me he couldnt do the transfer since there wasn't an FFL sent with the gun. I disagreed with him, the then goes into this line about how HE is the one with the FFL and HE is the one that knows the regulations.

Well, I fired up my Cell phone and made a call to the local ATF office. A quick conversation with an ATF agent changed his mind quickly. I made the owner negate the transfer fee ($25) for my trouble of having to train his employees. I have and never will set foot in that shop again.

9. FortyCaliber

FortyCaliber 10millimember

I went through a similar situation. Several dealers I called insisted that an individual could not ship to an FFL.

I finally found a dealer that admittedly said that an individual could send a handgun to an FFL but straight out said that he would not accept a firearm from a non-dealer. He felt it could create a potential problem for him, not having received it from another FFL.

It is unfortunate that people who do this for a living do not know the regs.

10. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Yep the ATF has scared them so much they fear even doing LEGAL stuff. Anything other then buying used for pennies from folks or direct from factory.

11. Glock Dave

Glock Dave

I just read this post and I'm suprised. I thought Hoffman's was pretty good. Why are you driving so far though? There are plenty of other good gun shops a lot closer to you. Your location says Stamford.

12. Davis

Davis

What happened?
    did you get it
    did you get the ATF after them?

scott

13. charleym3

charleym3 E5C4P3!

So what's the latest?

14. cor-man

cor-man

agreed/understood,

but how they remain in business:

I run into this same type of problem with all kinds of other businesses, for me especially guitars & related, the store people -even store owners- know less than me about products, availability, going new & used prices, features, etc.

my theory on how the remain in business: so little of their business $ comes from customers who know details and want specific services/products,
    and 90% or more of their business comes from standard consumers who simply come into the store and buy whatever is available there.

so the store owners/workers rarely have to "solve problems" or answer any detailed questions to a customer who knows the details and can't be b.s.'ed -- so if the quantity of customers they lose for their being dumbasses is very small in their overall business, and frankly many of them don't want to deal with such customers and are happy to see them not come back.

JMT anyway.

15. 6forsure

6forsure

I dealt with an extremely rude FFL this morning over the phone wanting a invoice for a shotgun that I'd sold one of his customer. I ask if just giving him price is good enough, and he immediately threatens to send gun back. The guy was even telling me about how mailing long guns was illegal for non-licensees like he was threatening me. I suspect that he cheats his customers by taxing them on out of state purchases. The FFL is Guns and Ammo in Bohemia New York.