FFDOs invited to join FAMA

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by siedkick, Aug 5, 2004.

1. siedkick

siedkick

Membership is a little expensive at $90, but this could help open up communications, not only between FFDOs (something that has been terribly lacking), but also between FFDOs and FAMs.

http://safe-skies.org/Media Relations Documents/20040701famapressrelease.pdf

PRESS RELEASE

Released date: July 1, 2004

FEDERAL AIR MARSHAL ASSOCIATION VOTES TO ACCEPT FEDERAL FLIGHT DECK OFFICERS INTO MEMBERSHIP RANKS

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

HUNTLEY, Illinois –– Earlier today the Federal Air Marshal Association (FAMA) Board of Directors voted unanimously to allow Federal Flight Deck Officers into their membership ranks –– a decision which also included a majority vote of its current Federal Air Marshal (FAM) membership.

Soon after 9/11, Congress mandated the federal government to develop policies, strategies, and plans for dealing with threats to transportation security. Their response was passing the Arming Pilots Against Terrorism Act, which mandated the government to establish a program that trained, equipped, and deputized pilots of American air carriers as official federal law enforcement officers while flying.

These newly trained pilots became Federal Flight Deck Officers (FFDOs), who are now assigned the duty of protecting and defending the cockpits of aircraft against any and all acts of criminal violence or air piracy.

The majority of current FAMA members, which is entirely comprised of flying front-line Federal Air Marshals, strongly believe the inclusion of FFDO's into their organization will introduce a vital communications link between the flying FAMs and their armed comrades in the cockpit.

"The inclusion of FFDO's into our fraternal organization", remarked FAMA president Terry M. Babb, "will create an environment of meaningful interaction between two groups of professionals who are the last line of defense in the event of a hijacking. Previously, there has been little, if any, communication or interaction between the two groups". –– which is ironic since both FAMs and FFDOs work together on a daily basis, usually just feet apart.

According to Babb, FAMA now offers on their website separate full service discussion forums exclusive to both FAMs and FFDO's, but when the two groups wish to interact, a new FAM & FFDO joint forum has been designed to allow both groups of professionals to discuss important topics such as policies, strategies, and training issues.

"It is my hope", says Babb, "to soon see FAMs and FFDO's training together at their respective hubs, and creating a teamwork atmosphere between these dedicated law enforcement professionals, thereby strengthening our civil aviation defenses against any and all future acts of terrorism."

Current FFDO's who are employed by an American passenger or cargo air carrier, and who have been flying in this capacity for a minimum of 120 days, may immediately apply for membership with FAMA at: www.Safe-Skies.org

Media Contacts: MediaRelations@safe-skies.org

2. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

May I suggest that if you are a FFDO, $90 is not going to hurt your wallet. ;)

3. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

Why do you say that?

4. Texas T

Because if you've already spent a week of your own time going through the training, plus the cost of expenses during that week I would think that $90 would be a drop in the bucket.

Now, if your employer is going to pay you for that week while covering your expenses during the training then perhaps the $90 may seem a bit high. But when you divide that by 12 months you're only looking at $7.50 per month or a sandwich per week. :)

5. Patriot328

Patriot328 B756

Ahhh I see what you're saying... I thought you were starting a "those guys make so much money that $90 is nothing to them" type thing.. my fault :)

FWIW, it cost about $170 to go through the FFDO program, plus whatever lost wages because of dropped trips and such.

It'd be $90 well spent, IMO.

6. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Ahhh, but the question is what does that $90 get you? A discussion forum?

7. Texas T

Oh, you mean the newbie right-seater making a whopping $13K a year flying puddle jumpers? ;)

8. G36pilot

G36pilot

Joining FAMA? Sounds like a good idea.

Agree with Texas T about (my interpretation) non major airline pilots. The $90 FAMA membership fee is worthwhile just for the communication aspect but may be difficult to come up with for some. Relatively few in the pilot community make the perceived high salaries. Most of those are in the lofty regions of a legacy carriers seniority list, or at least formerly were.

In my regional years taking the wife and two kids to Denny's and window shopping at the mall was a big night out because that's all we could afford. We had fun and enjoyed each others company, but it wasn't the perceived lifestyle of an airline pilot.

My hats off to all FFDO volunteers especially the RJ guys who often have less support and more difficulty becoming one.

G36pilot