close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FF Olympics

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by isellfyretrucks, Jul 14, 2006.

1. isellfyretrucks

isellfyretrucks VACATION!!!!!!!

I was running this idea through my head this afternoon and was wondering if anyone had every done anything like this before. If you have, please feel free to PM me. I need details, types of stations ran, etc. Thank you in advance for the help.

Our military base, where I am a guard FF, is very unique. It has four fire departments (3 of which are military/deployable). I was thinking that if planned correctly we could set up a friendly competition in the spring before everything gets hectic.

Let me know what you may have for suggestions. Thank you

2. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

Do the Combat Challenge, you might like it enough to actually compete nationally.

http://www.firefighterchallenge.com/

[​IMG]

Equipment Rules

SCBA: Scott high pressure breathing apparatus (Air-Pak® & face piece) is provided and must be worn by all participants in the individual and team categories. Competitors may use their own face piece. Competitors must finish the event under seven minutes without running out of air. TURN-OUT GEAR: All competitors must compete in their own protective equipment. PPE (i.e., turnout gear - helmet, coat, pants, gloves and boots) must be approved for structural fire fighting consistent with NFPA 1971 standards in effect at the time of manufacture. Hoods are not required. Officials will inspect all gear prior to participation. Their decisions are final. Articles of turnout gear and SCBA must not be removed or lost during the competition. If dropped, they must be retrieved and correctly replaced by the competitor before continuing. Non-retrieval results in disqualification.

START. Prior to the start signal, each competitor must have their hands on the start pads. Following the start command, "hands to start," an audible sound will start each heat. The second false start will result in disqualification.

THE COMPETITION

Each event must be performed in the order specified below.

EVENT 1 High Rise Pack Carry. The competition starts at the base of the tower. The hose pack cannot be touched before the start. The 3" (7.62cm) hose load and cover (42 lb.; 19kg) may be carried in any manner and must be deposited into the container on the top floor. Proper placement is on or in the container, with no part of the pack touching the deck. A 2-second penalty will be assessed for this infraction. The hose load must stay on the top platform. The competitor is disqualified if the high-rise pack falls off the top of the tower. The handrails may be used in climbing the tower. Steps may be taken in multiples on the way up.

EVENT 2 Hose Hoist. A 42-lb. (19kg) donut roll of large diameter hose and 5/8" (16mm) kern mantle rope is used for this event. The competitor is not allowed to stand on anything other than the top platform while hoisting. The evolution is complete when the roll clears the railing at the top of the tower and is placed in the container on the top floor. The donut roll must ascend; loss of control (i.e., slippage of more than one balcony) will result in disqualification. Proper placement is on or in the container with no part of the donut touching the deck. A 2-second penalty will be assessed for this infraction. The donut roll must stay on the top platform. Disqualification results with any loss of control of the donut roll, including falling off the tower, rolling down the stairs or interfering with the adjacent competitor. A fallen donut roll may not be retrieved. Descending the tower, every step must be contacted and the handrail grasped. Failure to touch each step on the descent will result in a 2-second penalty per infraction.

EVENT 3 Forcible Entry. The forcible entry evolution utilizes the Keiser Force Machine™ (a chopping simulator). Using the 9-lb. (4kg) shot mallet provided, the competitor must drive the sled;160-lb. (72.5kg) steel beam a horizontal distance of 5-ft. (1.5m) Pushing, raking or hooking the beam is not allowed; only the head of the mallet is allowed to strike the beam. The handle must not come in contact with the beam at any time. The upper edge of the beam will be covered with pressure sensitive tape, making infractions visible by a mark on the tape. A 5-second penalty is assessed for each infraction after the first handle strike. Both hands must be above the tape mark on the handle (12-in. [30.5cm] from the head end) at the point of impact. A 2-second penalty is assessed for every inch or fraction of each inch that the sled is short of the end of the tray. The hammer must be placed on the designated 3'x3' (84x84cm) mat. A 2-second penalty is assessed for this infraction.

EVENT 4 Hose Advance. The competitor must negotiate the 140’ (42.6m) slalom course without missing or knocking over any delineator; doing so will result in a 5-second penalty for each infraction. The competitor must pick up the nozzle end of the 1 3/4"; (4.45cm) charged hose line, forward of the stripe 6’ (1.8m) from the nozzle and drag it a distance of 75-ft (22.8m). Once the nozzle penetrates the swinging doors (i.e., crosses the threshold 75-ft. away) the competitor opens the nozzle, hits the target with the water stream, shuts down the nozzle and places the nozzle on the pavement. If the nozzle is not shut before it is placed down, the competitor must go back and close it. If course staff is required to shut off the nozzle a 5-second penalty will be assessed. If the nozzle opens after hitting the ground, there is no penalty and the competitor can continue to the victim rescue.

EVENT 5 Victim Rescue. A 175-lb. (79.4kg) Simulaids, Inc., Rescue Randy® mannequin must be dragged backwards a distance of 100-ft (30.5m). Carrying the dummy is not permitted. If any competitor crosses the course delineator (i.e., goes out of lane), a 5-second penalty will be assessed. Any contact with the opposing competitor will result in disqualification. The mannequin must not be grasped by its clothing or appendages. Time stops when the competitor and victim completely cross the finish line.

The Course Marshal, at his sole discretion, may stop any competitor who in the official's opinion creates or is in a dangerous or unsafe condition.

TASK COMPLETION All competitors are personally responsible for the completion of each task. No course volunteer has the authority to instruct a competitor in the negotiation of the events on the course; only the Course Marshal can intervene or direct the actions of a competitor. In those rare situations where the event staff may have created an impediment, the options to rectify this situation may include a deduction in time to remedy the hindrance or allow another run of the course.