close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

FF/Medic badge, CCW; impersonating LEO?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by mclark, Apr 4, 2006.

1. mclark

mclark

Any of you firefighter/paramedics out there ever wear your badge on your belt while CCW? Would wearing the badge and carrying a gun constitute impersonating a LEO? I don't want to ever been seen as impersonating a LEO, but have considered carrying my dept-issued badge to put the public at ease if my gun should ever accidently be visible while I'm carrying. Your thoughts?

2. kyfirefreak

kyfirefreak

Who do you want the public to think you are when they see the badge?

3. TxFire

TxFire

In my opinion YES it would constitute impersonating an officer. That would be the logical conclusion of a resonable person who saw a badge and a gun. What are the policies of your organization concerning use of your Badge or Credentials? Might be very bad foy your career.
    :stop: Don't do it!!!!

4. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm * * * * Lifetime Member Millennium Member

From an LE point of view, I agree 110% with the above posters.

In my state (and I'm sure in most others) there are certain categories of firefighter who can be armed (Fire Marshals, Inspectors, and Investigators). They carry as part of the job, and should wear their fire badge with their pistol, just as any LEO.

If a firefighter wears his badge with a pistol, it may make people you fall into the above category. It's at least confusing, could result in discipline, and in a worst-case scenario (politically-oriented prosecutor wanting to punch his ticket for re-election, etc.) could result in impersonation charges.

In our town in the last 12 months, we've had two Auxiliary Police Officers charged with impersonation, because they were carrying (and trying to enforce the law) while off-duty; something they are very clearly not authorized to do. (In our area, Auxiliary police can only work under the supervision/direction of a police officer while on-duty, in uniform).

So, that's the long version of the answers the fellows above already gave...

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

Just some thoughts from me. I am a FF at a volly dept. I have a badge as a result of it. I also carry a gun from time to time but I have never thought of mixing the two and if I did I certainly wouldn't make a point of letting people know I had both (read CCW)

I am also a security officer and in the state of Montana security officers used to be issued badges. Some security officers are even allowed to carry a weapon after training. However, there was a deputy sheriff who lost his job and became a security officer. He used his security badge, along with a gun to carry out his no longer needed duties as a deputy sheriff. As you might imagine when he got caught doing he had to pay the piper. As a result in Montana security officers are no longer allowed to have a badge.

It would be a bad thing if you were the catalyst to have a statewide change of laws regarding FF's haveing badges.

6. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

MakeMineA10mm

email sent to you.

7. MakeMineA10mm

MakeMineA10mm * * * * Lifetime Member Millennium Member

hotpig,

I didn't get an e-mail from you...

Never mind... Found it. Apparently I had my junk filter set too high... Found you e-mail in the junk folder. Sent you a reply.

8. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

9. mclark

mclark

Thank you all. That's kinda what I figured. Thanks to those of you who wrote serious responses. I appreciate the insight, and will abstain from doing this. Take care.

10. Victory

Victory

Around here i don't know of anyone who carries their badge with them. We're issued them, but mine, and everyone elses, stays fixed to their uniform shirt.

A friend of mine runs out in Missouri and it seems pretty common place for their guys to carry their badges with them. A lot of them also carry guns incase the brush fire investigation turns out to be meth heads cooking the ****.

11. midnitemarauder

midnitemarauder

I volunteer in Prince George's County, MD...one of the busiest if not the busiest combo departments in the country. Not even talking about guns w/ badges...we don't wear badges b/c we DO NOT want to be mistaken for L/E by the bad guys from a distance.

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

EXACTLY

Scott

:alien:

13. Victory

Victory

I actually made the same arument when my company switched from company shirts to more "professional" looking police-style uniforms for EMS. I was in the "lots of neon reflective material and stars of life" camp but no one listens to my common sence. Now i occasionally get my balls busted for wearing a vest (which i bought on my own dime). I think someone's going to have to get shot before they realize that i'm right.

14. obxprnstar

obxprnstar Goth Lover

I enjoyed reading the responses to this over in Cop talk.

15. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 South 7th Street, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    :thumbsup:

16. Solo1st

Solo1st

Take the badge and put it in the top drawer of your dresser.

open the drawer every few years just to make sure its still there.

that is all.