Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Unfair Facist
28,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the absolute worst gun you ever bought for back up or off duty?

For me the honor goes to the Detonics pocket 9

Thick, heavy and kicked like a mule. (straight blowback)

No holsters actually made for it. It was so thick and heavy it ripped out the stitches of the safariland "wet leg" (anyone remember that medieval torture device?)

· Way too busy
5,305 Posts
Ruger LCP. Not because it was an unreliable weapon, but I absolutely HATED it. It was too small to comfortably aim and shoot, I questioned how much power a .380 could get out of such a short barrel, and did I mention it was horrible to shoot?

· Unfair Facist
28,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cops today have a pretty big selection of decent hardware to choose from.
Back in the day it was pretty much a Chiefs special, detective special or Agent. Or if you wanted to be fancy, a Walther PPK.

It was a big deal when S&W reintroduced the bodyguard series for those that couldn't find an older one.

· GTDS #88
3,302 Posts
Cops today have a pretty big selection of decent hardware to choose from.
Back in the day it was pretty much a Chiefs special, detective special or Agent. Or if you wanted to be fancy, a Walther PPK.

It was a big deal when S&W reintroduced the bodyguard series for those that couldn't find an older one.
I miss my wheelguns but time marches on.

Biggest POS was a Diamondback .380
Small accurate but broke twice, unacceptable.

· Unfair Facist
28,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone remember the little Grendel. .380? No removable magazine. Or the little colt govt. 380 with a million parts?

· Registered
7,089 Posts
Here is one that I thought might have some potential: A Radom P-64. Subcompact, 9X18 Mak caliber, DA/SA.... but I soon came to realize it was better suited for collectors.

Attachments

· BOOSH
4,012 Posts
I know I'm gonna make someone mad with this, but the Beretta tip-up barrel .25 Auto. The firing pin broke on me twice in about 5 months. Maybe I got a bad one, but it put me off Berettas completely.

· Premium Member
CLM #38
10,891 Posts
A 1992 vintage Springfield Armory 1911 with a built in compensator. Spent months and multiple trips back to them trying to get that damn thing to run. It was a single shot pistol. The COMPANY finally gave in and refunded my money saying they were going to destroy the weapon.

Scary thing was I carried that thing for a week after buying it before I could get to the range and discover its' suck factor. I was young and dumb........

· Registered
3,256 Posts
NOT mine, but as the range instructor, I had a guy bring an AMT .380 Backup.

Honestly, it could not get through a magazine without a jam.

You should have heard him when I refused to certify the gun for off duty use.

My personal worst was an Interarms PPK/S.

Despite numerous attempts, I never could get it to run quite right.

Kept it only a short while, then moved it on.

· Registered
3,394 Posts
Anyone remember the little Grendel. .380? No removable magazine.
Not only do I remember it, but I carried one for about two years. Small and surprisingly accurate. Yeah, that fixed mag thing... but realistically, who carries spare mags for that kind of gun?

· Registered
6,730 Posts
Accu-Tek AT 380. Wasn't made to fit the human hand, it gives you hammer slap injuries and the magazine falls out sometimes when it is being fired.

· Unfair Facist
28,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not only do I remember it, but I carried one for about two years. Small and surprisingly accurate. Yeah, that fixed mag thing... but realistically, who carries spare mags for that kind of gun?
I went thru three of them before getting one that worked. By then I lost interest.

· Why so serious?
45mm 9ACP
69,053 Posts
Grendel P10

· Unfair Facist
28,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We know that is not your duty weapon TBO. your on the rubber gun squad!

Reactions: TBO

· Registered
38,668 Posts
Issued a Smith 5906 that was a jammomatic. I got rid of it in lieu of a HK USP45. A few years later a COMPETENT armorer figured out the extractor was broken. It was a Sim gun for a long time after that and may still be hidden in the armory for those rare times we need that many Sim guns.

Reactions: silentpoet

· Registered
7,089 Posts
Kel tec p3at was my biggest mistake. Jammed all the time and had 2 return trips to the factories for repairs when it completely stopped working.
I had to send mine back to the factory once, and after that it ran fine. Still, I never really felt comfortable carrying it. Sold it.

· Registered
1,975 Posts
I guess I have been pretty lucky. My first agency required that an off duty gun have the same qualities as our duty gun which was a SW5906. That meant that it had to have a decocker, be DA and have a magazine/trigger disconnect.

I ponied up the money and bought a Bersa 380. It was heavy compared to todays guns but was a lot lighter than the 5906!. It clanked around on my ankle for almost 10 years before getting traded for a P3AT. The P3AT stayed around for about 7 years before the Glock 42 came out (which happens to have the same qualities as my current duty gun).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts