Ferrets

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Maiden71, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Maiden71

Maiden71 Metal Member

Well shortly after the wife walked out I decided to get someone a little more loyal. Anyone else own one of these furry little creatures?

Attached Files:

2. Burns

Burns

We have one. I like the color of yours. Ours have been nice, but they are hyperactive little buggers. They are fun to watch explore around the house, and they swim!

3. Jay9928

Jay9928 I laugh at liberals.

My friend has one. They love to run around alot. Very hyper (at least his is). They are interesting though, but smell to high heaven.

4. NW-Warlord

NW-Warlord

One of my friends had one. We had to smuggle it across the Nevada-California border (crazy teenagers:cool:). Pretty cool little creatures, although they do smell kinda funny.

5. KillStick

KillStick

I own a white one and he is a blast, getting kind of older now but you wouldn't know it such a hyper animal.

6. happy seal

happy seal

cute little dude!
    got baby rabbit
    baby guinne pig
    cat. that's enough.

7. MB-G26

MB-G26 Canceled Lifetime Member

<-------is still looking for her Free The Faeries jpg.................

<------don't have any, but absolutely adore them and they do NOT stink......grrrr.......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  8. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I have some friends that had them and they were pretty cool (although one bit me.) They insisted they didn't smell. They were wrong.

9. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Love them. They do smell though. Even though they're required to be fixed and descented, they still secrete oil through their skin. Regular bathing and bedding changes are a MUST. Still smell though.

10. Kkille1LSU

Kkille1LSU

They do stink. You are just used to it. Had a girlfriend who had 2 and I couldn't walk into the house without gagging. I can now smell them when I walk into a Petsmart.

Cute, but stinky.

11. k594

k594

ive had one, very cool animal but it stunk up the house, also it would get out and hide in the dryer vent and took me all night to coax it out!

12. n2extrm

n2extrm

We had three they are no longer with us. They went from old age one at a time. One was deaf as a post the others pretty normal, well for a ferret! They are a blast, are large male trouble (appropriately named) escaped on me X in one night. I kept thinking I left the cage door open. Finally I caught him in the corner of my eye hanging and swinging against the door till he popped it open! We would let them roam supervised of course in the den and office, they would steel anything not nailed down and hide it. They climbed into a closed sofa bed, that took some time to get them out! Good luck read alot and have fun with them they are great. We have a house now and 2 bloodhounds!

13. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

We currently have three ferrets. My wife and I have owned ferrets for over 10 years.

They do not "stink". Any stink is directly related to the owner NOT properly caring for the animals. You need to change their bedding frequently........which many people do NOT! Frequent baths just cause their glands to produce more oils, which along with some owners not changing their bedding......causes most unknowing people to think they stink.

It is not a case of "getting used to the smell"...........because I can be outside all day in fresh air, come home....walk upstairs and NOT smell anything.

[​IMG]

14. Loudcherokee

Loudcherokee SouthPawGlocker

I had one growing up, who looked very much like the one in the post above by Steve.

Very energetic little creatures, and mischievous. Stealing anything that wasn't nailed down is definitely correct! Mine even had a favorite hiding spot. When me and my parents moved, under the dishwasher was bout 10 hot wheels cars, a mound of dog food, balls, golf tees, model car parts, and various other small items.

Mine had also discovered how to get out of his cage, and would most often do it at night. I would sometimes wake up to him curled up on my chest under the covers. Very loving little guy. Loved playing with the dogs and cats too. Hopping sideways the whole way. He would even yawn when you yawned, lol.

LC

15. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

I have no idea why they are illegal in California. Makes no sense. A couple years ago, some squack called 911 to report that a customer in a pet store had a ferret. The caller then followed the horrible scofflaw as they left, and followed in traffic, giving updates to their location. Dispatch (because they are a contracted, outside agency and have no discretion to not dispatch stupid calls) was broadcasting all this to me. Finally, I had enough and told them to refer it to Fish & Game. (Of course, I knew full well that the nearest on-duty warden was 100 miles away, if that.)