Ferfrans weapons systems

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by theTactician, Feb 10, 2010.

1. theTactician

theTactician

Hey, any of you guys know mr. ferdie sy of ferfrans weapons systems? they have this cool rifle called the S.O.A.R (special ops assault rifle) which was featured at ultimate weapons in the history channel. this soar rifle is being used by the Special Action Force in the philippines as well as some swat teams here in the u.s. I wanted to know if they sell to civilians? and how much are these soar rifles? do they have california legal models too? I like this rifle, could be better than the sig 556 or the m4, not sure though. maybe i'll try to inquire soon, they have an office in west covina California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRzw2XnuNfY

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

Er, the Cebu guys should handle this, because they have seen it longer than I have. I did see one jam during a rifle shoot. Yes it's SAF issue. And my principal beef with it is that it has a muzzle brake, good for weapon control but bad for the ears, bad for flash suppression, as well as bad for winning friends and influencing people. Ask my right ear.:whistling:

There's a rather bitter thread over at timawa.net:
    http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=1499.330

I know the guys there and they don't lie about these things.

3. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

As you usually say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating... :)

You did see firsthand them SOAR rifles, you be the judge...

4. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

@CatsMeow...went over to the timawa forum...people are getting pretty worked up over a simple poll. ;) Whatever happened to having a difference of opinion? They're getting a bit personal over there!

5. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

Hehehe... it's because some people whose only apparent experience with small arms is Counterstrike and the like would weigh in on what they think should be the rifle for the AFP, and they get jumped upon by the guys who have seen the elephant, so to speak (and burned thousands of rounds while doing so:supergrin:), as well as some active-duty personnel whose very lives depend upon working equipment.

A vaunted feature of the Ferfrans SOAR is some sort of rate-reduction thingy in the BCG that reduces the cyclic rate, which, along with the deafening Smith Enterprise style muzzle brake, is supposed to keep all the rounds in a burst on target in CQB situations. I can achieve the same thing with an Enidine AR-restor or a heavy bolt carrier group (but not both). And having seen an operator frantically trying to clear a jam during a rifle match kinda sours me on them.

Me, I'll stick to my Noveske.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  6. Kaiser Soze

Kaiser Soze Notorious

Hahaha, I suppose. I've had my run-ins with "keyboard commandos" but I usually just let it slide, and leave them to their own devices, unless they're espousing unsafe gun handling etc.

Me, I'm going to go with my stock M16A1 (20 incher) for now, but I'm eyeing another flattop upper...

7. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

Speaking of heavy BCGs, when I had mine in my 20-incher, two-round bursts were a cinch.

The Ferfrans BCG is a modified semi-auto bolt carrier group with a sliding part inside. I understand the rest of the carbine is built out of US-sourced parts.

If I was given (free!:supergrin:) a SOAR, the first things that would come off is that BCG (replaced with the best heavy M16 BCG I could find) and that muzzle brake.

8. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Reading that thread in timawa makes me laugh. Truly lots of BS from both sides. People tend to get dogmatic when it comes to their favorite rifle. For example, there is one argument about the AK's safety compromising missions. Who said that you have to flick it? The AK's safety can be lifted slightly up while being disengaged so it would not make a noise. Another is about manipulation of the safety from on safe to off safe. Does Philippine military doctrine dictate that the safety be engaged and disengaged during the fight? Or do they leave the safety disengaged until the fight is over? Really its no biggie.

Another is the mag release. There are ways to quickly change mags with AK, practice is the key and you do it the same way as the M14. As if a high-speed reload is always the order of the day. As if they always shoot their weapons empty before reloading. If they do then it's not the weapon's problem. It's a training problem. Another is the lack of last shot bolt hold open. The reason for that is with the AK, whenever you get a failure to fire for whatever reason, your default mode should be to change mags and rack the bolt. You don't diagnose the problem. You simply reload. You rifle is empty. Reload and rack the bolt. You get a double feed? Reload and rack the bolt. If you ever have a stoppage for any reason, reload and rack the bolt. No round will ever get trapped between the receiver and the gas tube, no bolt over base or other "mother-of-all-malfunction" situations. No tap, rack, bang. You simply reload and rack the bolt. The AK was made that way so by simply reloading and racking the bolt, you solve most kind of stoppages. Racking the bolt always makes sure that there is a round in the chamber. No guessing. No OOOPPPS.

Of course all weapon needs to be properly maintained. Even the AK. Only an idiot would believe that an improperly maintained AK is more reliable than a properly maintained M16.

Both weapons were designed with different fighting principles in mind. The M16 with ergonomics in mind. The AK sacrificed ergonomics for simplicity, in operation and in training.

Consequently, most of the arguments against the AK can also be said about the M14 but you don't hear them whining about it. I've read many arguments about the faults and weaknesses of a certain weapons platform that when you read between the lines all there is to it is bashing a certain platform and no real valid arguments.

The M16 is not perfect. The AK is not perfect either. But one thing common about them is that training is meant to solve both weapons' deficiencies.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  9. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

I did see a G36 (the top choice of that thread hehe:supergrin:) have at least a couple of stoppages before the mag was emptied. The type where the bullet is jammed into the case, a sure recipe for a kaboom.

I do agree that everyone will have an opinion as to the perfect rifle, but personally I believe that the best gun is the one you have.:supergrin: No use fantasizing over something that is unobtainable unless you win the Superlotto tonight. But I had to laugh at the guy who says that the best rifle is an M14 with a C-mag:whistling: and an M203:whistling:.
    http://www.timawa.net/forum/index.php?topic=1499.300

Getting back to topic, it's easy to duplicate the SOAR with the parts available here (deep pockets are a must) or at Brownells, except for their patented rate reducer. I don't shoot auto much anyway as I have to pay for each round.

But given the choice, mas gusto kong kataw-an kay kalataw-an akong armas, kay kataw-an tungod kay ming-ungot...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

Hehehe yeah, people there do get worked up with those kind of things. :)

11. MAJINKONG

MAJINKONG Sr. Member

Hello!!! heto sir FERFRANs BCG.

[​IMG]

12. akula

akula BizDuc NM Millennium Member

13. emac

emac

...nahuli ng FerFrans ang kiliti ng mga generals:wow: (sir! bihis na po ito!):tongueout:

1. a super loud muzzle/sound amplifier
    2. an old tech/heavy ARMS/YHM sharp edge free float tubes
    3. a "modified" BCG to make the gun slower in full auto

all this= a weak recoil heavy Loud gun & slow full auto(expensive) ....wherein you are not authorized to shoot full auto in their doctrine:rofl:

14. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

Bingo! Thanks for posting the pic. That's yours?

"sound amplifier":supergrin: Hope the troopie that gets issued one has a pair of earplugs handy. Wonder why they didn't go whole hog, so to speak, and ordered a lot of Fire Pigs from Noveske.

You can see in the Ferfrans SOAR pictures the great dust cloud generated by the muzzle brake.

15. MAJINKONG

MAJINKONG Sr. Member

sa tropa na RMG ang Ferfran. heto sir cats ang muzzle break:
    [​IMG]

16. CatsMeow

CatsMeow

17. JBJ16

JBJ16

Naku, baka mapikon ang admin ng kabila pag nabasa ang thread na ito. He he he.:shocked:

Btw, I also noticed that prominent muzzle brake of the Ferfrans. So isip ko nag i-IPSC yata ang mga PNP-SAF , kaya ganito requirement nila. He he he. But they should also should be issued the std. A2 flash hider para palit agad pagka-tapos ng laro.

PS: Video evidence shows the Russian AEK-971 5.45x39mm balanced recoil rifle is currently the most controllable even in continuous full-auto mag dump. (about 3" groups @ 50M, sand bag rest, full auto fire) The Nikonov AN94, well, only the first 2rounds at 1800rpm is accurate on target at full-auto.

18. PMMA97

PMMA97 TagaBundok

Magkano ba ang SOAR?

19. jmg414

jmg414

Bro any contact number of ferfrans?can we buy parts from them?

20. atmarcella

atmarcella

i guess they need that rate reducer cos they cut off the barrel and reduce the effectivity of the 556 consequently they need more rounds on target.

moral of the story is........ stick to the 20incher, para 1 round lang bagsak.