close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fenway Park Added to the Bucket List.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

I read an excellent article in the August NFPA Journal on the 100 year anniversary of Fenway Park. While it is written from the perspective of changes to the Park to ensure better fire and life safety, it is written by an author who actually went to Fenway as a child to watch the Sox.

I know it may not be your cup of tea, but it's a good read with a lot of history.

I'm adding Fenway Park to my bucket list.

2. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

I happily left the Boston area 25 years ago, and don't miss it, although I still have Red Sox fever. It's like herpes in that regard...

That said, I do wish I could still drive into town to catch a game. Fenway's always a great time.

3. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

I'm slowly making the rounds of all the MLB parks and as many minor league parks as I can find.

Last week I was at a Rockies game, sitting in front of a guy from Boston. We started talking about Fenway....he said that since the Sox are having such a bad year, I should be able to find a ticket for under $200 somewhere in the cheap seats during an A's or Royals matchup. He said it like that was some sort of 'deal of the century'.

$200!!! WTF? We're talking the cheap seats for a bad team.

I enjoy baseball, but I can't enjoy a game while feeling like I'm being fleeced. I'll just take a tour of the place and cross it off my list and go to a Pawtucket Red Sox game, thank you.

4. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Take it off my bucket list. . .about 100 times.

I was there in the 80's with Wade Boggs just starting out and guys getting rip-roaring drunk and smoking weed in the stands. I was probably 10. (Maybe this was pre-Boggs.) Just a madhouse. UNfun to watch baseball there.

I would say the hey-day of Fenway in my lifetime was the late 80's, early 90's. Clemens and the bunch. Hapless, but a fun park to go to and not everyone was going to be a Yankee-esque uber-fan or going to pay homage to the park. Just a stadium filled with fans of the game. It's different today. It's families not interested in the game and 35-45 yr old guys acting 12.

It's a cool place. I've been to more than half the parks around the country. There is nothing like Fenway and Wrigley. I sat in the last row of the upper deck just outside of first base at Wrigley several years ago. You couldn't get further away from the action and be just off a base. Behind me, it dropped off with a chain-link fence keeping me in. I felt like I was just off the bag.

The modern "close" stadiums ARE nice. But they are like a brand new condo complex that tries to look old. It's nice. It's almost there. But it isn't old and it'll be torn down and replaced before it hits 100. Sure they have made the experience close without using columns. There aren't any obstructed view seats. But there is just something that isn't quite right.

The old Yankee Stadium was cool. (Not a "close" stadium.) Acoustics were amazing. In the bleachers, the sound of the bat were as if you were right behind the plate. CRACK!

Airmotive - I was in Seattle 2 months ago. Was at the Mariner's shop downtown and the people working there were talking about the games. "Some guy said at Fenway, it's $200 for a seat."

I stepped up with my purchases. "Actually, it's only $125 for a seat right behind the dugout. . . but you have to OWN those seats. My cousin has 4. It's $40K/yr."

"How does he pay for them?"

"I have no idea. But if you were to try and buy that seat from a reseller, it'd be $300, not $200."

It was funny. These kids probably make $20K/yr. And someone has season tix that cost 2x what they GROSS a year. (I honestly don't know how my cousin pays for it. He's gotta sell the vast majority of them.)

For all MY complaining about the fans now, if you haven't gone, spend the $200 and go. I just go to AAA games when I wanna watch baseball.

5. Dennis in MA

And one more thing, Airmotive - you can find decent seats for less than $100. The guy was BS'ing. And if you go to Pawtucket, PM me. One of my favorite places to go. (Although all of my fav. players are either traded away or moved up this year. :( )

6. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

You really want to go there?

[​IMG]

7. Dennis in MA

Sadly, they don't sell any guns there. :rofl:

8. Dragline

Dragline

Stubhub is showing infield grandstand seats for the Yankees visit in Sept. for $100 each.
    So I'm sure you can do much better for KC's visit in two weeks.

9. 17119jfkioe

17119jfkioe

Don't forget to add AT&T Park to your list. Best stadium in baseball!

[​IMG]

10. VELO

VELO

Definitely go. It's a great experience for a baseball fan.

I bought my ticket on the street for a little over face value. Sat three rows behind the first base dugout for around $150 IIRC. This was 5 or 6 years ago.

11. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

Since I've already been to Fenway a number of times, my goal now is to sit on top of the Green Monster. Fenway is a cool park, but Boston does have some of, if not the highest ticket prices in MLB. How else are we supposed to be competitive with the Yankees? I'd say it'd be nearly impossible. To the OP, good luck getting there!!!

12. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Last year I went to my first ball game... At Fenway Park.... And I wanted to be elsewhere!

Lol but I had fun anyway!

13. jhall

jhall

Funny, I've been watching the Rangers play in Boston this week and have been thinking how cool it would be to go to Fenway in person. I love being at a baseball game. Nothing like a hotdog and beer at a game! :cool:

14. jhall

jhall

He probably does sell them. I have Ranger season tickets this year and will have easily made my money back by the end of the year for what I paid for the tickets and still gone to plenty games myself.

In fact, next year I will probably keep the tickets just to sell on stubhub, even though I know I will be hard pressed to make a lot of games. (New baby due and a 15 month old..) That way I keep my seats, make some money, but still get guaranteed postseason tickets and season ticket holder benefits. Win Win! ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  15. MasterShake

MasterShake Brew Crew

I'm a die hard Red Sox fan and it's been my dream for a long time to catch a game at Fenway.

16. Dennis in MA

You got a great park as well, MS.

17. Flattop67

Flattop67

I spent many a day/night at Fenway in my youth (late 70's, early 80's) It is an awesome field. As was stated, it was pretty wild back then, weed smokers, drunks etc. Despite all that, I have great memories of those days. Fred Lynn, Pudge Fisk, Yaz et al. Good times. Haven't been to a MLB in years, and there is no way in hell that I would pay $100 for a ticket!

18. ojabog

ojabog

Been to Fenway about 30 times. It's quite an experience, but it was better years ago when Yawkey Way was open to the masses. My last visit was 2010 and you had to show your ticket and go through security to get into parts of Yawkey Way....that blows. It was much more fun when the street was wide open. Mmaybe they only do that for some games, I'm not sure.

19. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I love Busch Stadium in StL but AT&T in San Francisco is stunningly beautiful. I loved my visit there, and it just so happened the Cardinals were in town.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  20. Dennis in MA

Every game. I like it.

Just remember to get your Sausage Sub and bag of peanuts OUTSIDE the park. Sorry. Paaaahk.