Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The message here is NOT that FEMA is slow. I honestly like the way they operate - your state's business is your state's business. We need to be invited. I think that is how it should be. We can discuss details of that later...

The real message, as I have always said - is that when SHTF, you need to have YOUR OWN PERSONAL S together - because .gov can take days to show up. And day one is setting up ops command and not one person will helping anyone that day.

I have also said don't live in the flood plain....:whistling:

·
Registered
13,382 Posts
http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/f&web.pdf

Page 4 of official publication.

FEMA suggests that you have TWO WEEKS of food stored. Nope, you don't have to cite Alex Jones. Hmm. What does that mean? Does it mean that someone figured out that the old recommendation of 3 days food supply was too little?

Well, folks, here in LA, there are no stockpiles or warehouses of food. There is a three day supply of food in the grocery stores, if not looted or destroyed. The average family has less.

Boston is probably typical. I laughed when YOUR government put a small section of town on lockdown after the recent bombings. It couldn't last. No one had leftovers from the previous evening's pizza dinner.

The difference between 3 days and 14 days is 11 days. The food won't be spread evenly. Ok. I will give you that everyone has 3 days at home and the 3 days in the store is evenly distributed. So, now you have a difference of 8 days. What will happen to the very young, the sick, the old? Will they be sitting around listlessly? Or worse.

Next, how about the water. Yeah, I know. Some of you figure you won't bath, won't cook with water, will sit in the shade, won't work and can get by on 1 gallon of water a day. Sure. And some on this forum are already doing this. So, yo have 14 gallons for each member of your household, right? Oh, and if your math was just a bit off, and you really are drinking 2 gallons a day (and not boiling rice, baking bread, etc), you have 28 gallons a person? Well, there are a lot of gangbangers, babies, white collar workers, junior high school students, 8 year olds out this way who don't have thing containing water put aside.

And, our public service messages are announcing that we are less prepared that before the last earthquake. Yep, sales and income taxes go up - and new social welfare programs come in, but no stockpiles of food or medicine.

Incidentally, in 2001, the federal stockpile of medical supplies for the country for emergencies, if distributed equally to each and every hospital, was equal to the volume of the payload of a Ford pickup truck. It has not changed since then. Doesn't matter if you had a Republican or Democrat as President or either party controlling Congress.:wavey:

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
I attended training right after Katrina in which the Region 10 USAR team leader made it clear that two weeks was insufficient to him and his group. He strongly recommended 30 days and when asked about "3 days," he laughed pretty hard.

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,751 Posts
I have also said don't live in the flood plain....:whistling:
I use to live right in the middle of the flooded area (Centaur Circle, Lafayette CO) And i can tell you that no one who lived there every even imagined that something like this could happen.

Yes the creeks sometimes over-ran their banks a bit, but never ever would anyone living there ever even remotely considered that something like this could happen. .

FEMA doesn't even have historical flood maps on file for Lafayette CO!
Looking on the Boulder County GIS site, that area where I lived is not even considered part of a flood zone. . .

·
Tackleberry
895 Posts
I agree with you Aceman about the fedgov needing an invite to do ANYTHING inside a state. I also agree that three days, or even two weeks, worth of preps is insufficient.

Even if people just kept a rain barrel or two in their garage, a few cases of bottled water stacked in the utility room, always kept fresh bleach on hand for sanitation, had a small camp stove with spare fuel, kept a large thermos for thermos cooking, had a dutch oven and charcoal or even a grill, and stored nothing but beans and rice and lifeboat rations they would be squared away to deal with almost any run-of-the-mill SHTF scenario. And it wouldn't even cost as much as most peoples car payment for one month to do all that.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Most never get there. Food is my biggest problem and probably the easiest to fix. I need to decide which one I feel will best suite my needs. My plan is to buy the freeze dried pre packaged meals either MRE or something from Wise's? that comes in the stackable buckets. I need to aquire some samples and taste test. I did a decent job of acquiring some ammo this summer, but you can't eat ammo. Have a gas grill and a Coleman fuel stove that I should acquire additional fuel stores. I have some oil lamps I should get some wicks and oil for. Water, I have a 120 gallon storage tank in my basement and have been thinking about doing a rain collection filtration system in the future.

Is the target for preps now 30 day supply if I read this correctly? Or is that the bare minimum? I'm solo in my house with 2 cats so whatever I do I do for myself and them. Based upon where I live, a major weather event is most likely to be the trigger to go into prep mode and using any stores or fuel I may have.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Most never get there. Food is my biggest problem and probably the easiest to fix. I need to decide which one I feel will best suite my needs. My plan is to buy the freeze dried pre packaged meals either MRE or something from Wise's? that comes in the stackable buckets. I need to aquire some samples and taste test. I did a decent job of acquiring some ammo this summer, but you can't eat ammo. Have a gas grill and a Coleman fuel stove that I should acquire additional fuel stores. I have some oil lamps I should get some wicks and oil for. Water, I have a 120 gallon storage tank in my basement and have been thinking about doing a rain collection filtration system in the future.

Is the target for preps now 30 day supply if I read this correctly? Or is that the bare minimum? I'm solo in my house with 2 cats so whatever I do I do for myself and them. Based upon where I live, a major weather event is most likely to be the trigger to go into prep mode and using any stores or fuel I may have.
30 days minimum.

·
Registered
11,317 Posts
A MINIMUM of 30 days is what I pass along to people when they ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts