close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Fellow Grammar Nazis In Here >>>>

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ARs&AKs, Jan 5, 2012.

1. ARs&AKs

ARs&AKs NRA Life Member

Could someone please explain to me why some people use an apostrophe in an attempt to make a word plural? I see this all over the internet and just can't understand for the life of me why people do this. Where was this taught? What started it and why can't they just add the 's' and leave it at that? Explain, please!

2. Fanner50

Fanner50 NRA Endowment

I seen it somewhere. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3. Zonny

Zonny

I'd be happy if they figured out the then/than thing. Also, that there is I space AFTER a punctuation mark but not before.

Kathy on Outdoor Hub mobile.

4. RedTop

RedTop

Used in this context, the word internet should be capitalized since it is a proper noun.

:tongueout:

5. WH5V

WH5V Duty & Honor

This is just one small sample of the things I've noticed increasing in frequency over the past few years. Here are the things I see most frequently, that drive me nuts:

regardless/irregardless (which isn't even a word)
    it's/its/its'
    closed/close
    than/then
    sell/sale
    dominant/dominate

I'm sure I'll think of others as soon as I post this. I'm not sure where we started to go wrong, but it is now to the point that when you speak or write correctly, people tell you that you are wrong.

6. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

If we want to cover all the various grammar, spelling and punctuation mistakes regularly made on GT, this thread will be more epic than the bigfoot fiasco.

7. blackjack

blackjack

My list of grammar pet peeves:

Improper use of apostrophes
    Homophones of all kinds
    Subject-verb agreement
    Using "of" when meaning "have" as in "could've"

There are others but it's time to cook supper. Notice the correct usage of "it's" with an apostrophe indicating a contraction.

8. OGW

OGW NRA, SAF

definately or defiantly instead of definitely
    the use of the letter "e" as in comeing, haveing, etc.

This could go on forever. Now we can bring in all those who think lousy spelling and grammar don't reflect negatively on the writer/speaker.

9. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Because sometimes it's correct:

We use an apostrophe to create plural forms in two limited situations: for pluralized letters of the alphabet and when we are trying to create the plural form of a word that refers to the word itself. Here we also should italicize this "word as word," but not the 's ending that belongs to it. Do not use the apostrophe+s to create the plural of acronyms (pronounceable abbreviations such as laser and IRA and URL*) and other abbreviations. (A possible exception to this last rule is an acronym that ends in "S": "We filed four NOS's in that folder.")

Jeffrey got four A's on his last report card.
    Towanda learned very quickly to mind her p's and q's.
    You have fifteen and's in that last paragraph.
    Notice that we do not use an apostrophe -s to create the plural of a word-in-itself. For instance, we would refer to the "ins and outs" of a mystery, the "yeses and nos" of a vote (NYPL Writer's Guide to Style and Usage), and we assume that Theodore Bernstein knew what he was talking about in his book Dos, Don'ts & Maybes of English Usage. We would also write "The shortstop made two spectacular outs in that inning." But when we refer to a word-as-a-word, we first italicize it — I pointed out the use of the word out in that sentence. — and if necessary, we pluralize it by adding the unitalicized apostrophe -s — "In his essay on prepositions, Jose used an astonishing three dozen out's." This practice is not universally followed, and in newspapers, you would find our example sentence written without italics or apostrophe: "You have fifteen ands in that last paragraph."

10. cqb451

cqb451

Their
    They're
    There

11. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I ain't seen alot of misteaks hear latelly.

12. bigleaf

bigleaf

If you dont loose that attitude, your heads' gonna esplode! You should of being greatful that you're interwebs work's at all!

Plenty o' time's Iv'e being flustrated by pure spelling and grammer on GT. You guys' dont see me making funna people, do you? But thats' a mute point.

Yeah, the de-funding of public education– especially since 1969 (desegregation) for purely racist reasons– has left us with a pretty poorly educated citizenry. None worse than the graduates of "christian" schools we see here in the south. Try to hire someone from a "Lighthouse Academy" or a "Some-town Christian High" and see what you end up with in terms of reading comprehension, grammar, spelling, science and general reasoning and problem-solving skills. Forget clear, concise business communication. It's a disaster. Racist whites peed in the soup of public education, and look at what we've wrought.

Free public education was the magnet that brought immigrants to this country, and it's what turned them into Americans. It gave us our culture, our writing, our science, our leaders. But demeaning public schools, purposely under funding them, and demonizing its teachers and students steals our future from all Americans. It's a shame. And the inability to convey a complex thought in writing that we see so often here is an example of the outcome.

I've had folks say to me here, "It's just the internet. There's no grammar rules when you post to a forum. It's not like we're at work." But you can be assured that if they can't convey their thoughts clearly in writing here, they can't elsewhere, either. It really is a shame. They deserved better from the folks their parents elected. They spent at least twelve years in minimum security and they came out without an education.

13. Dinky

Dinky Numpty

I think that they done do it just to piss you guys off

14. cphilip

cphilip

I kewd kare les

15. silentpoet

silentpoet

I are good at grammer.

But seriously, my big pet peeve as far as grammar on the internet is dominate/dominant. It is awful on sports sites.

16. vart

vart

That brakes my heart... Yes; brake was spelled incorrectly.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  17. Ironbar

Ironbar

All my grammar peeves have been covered in prior posts. All I can say is that I've given up on people spelling things correctly on Internet forums and discussion boards. Alot of people never seemed to learn to spell correctly, and the worse part is that they don't care.

Example: I had a former coworker (whose primary language was English mind you), that was banned by the boss from sending e-mails outside the office because of her attrocious grammar issues. She never made any attempt to correct herself.

At any rate, what truly pi**es me off these days is when I see spelling and grammar errors in print and online media sources. Doesn't anyone proofread anymore?

18. Altaris

Altaris

19. bigleaf

bigleaf

Alot ought to be "a lot", as in a large quantity. Think, "I'll take the whole lot" or "available by the lot, not the single piece." Alot's not actually a word.

You're right about the lack of proofreading. I've spent years proofreading and my wife's trained as an indexer of books. She is still in the publishing world (and I'm in printing) and we're constantly amazed at what makes it into print.

20. Zonny

Zonny

"a lot"

Kathy on Outdoor Hub mobile.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012