Fellow 4 eyes chime in

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Big Bore Fan, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Big Bore Fan

Big Bore Fan

I have a few more thing to get before I'm ready to start loading and was trying to find out what others use for eye protection who already have glasses. Are normal glasses enough or do you use something else?

2. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

I just wear my glasses. The next time you get a pair, get the polycarbonate lenses... a little tougher.

3. chemcmndr

chemcmndr

If you're actually looking for safety, I would recommend anything that's rated ANSI Z87.1 Although eyeglasses with polycarbonate lenses are tough, I doubt they're as impact resistant as actual safety glasses. Just my $0.02.

4. fredj338

fredj338

This works, been shooting this way for years. If you wear bifoculs, try the blended ones. For shooting, they are th eonly way to go IMO. It allows your eye to find the sweet spot for best vision w/ iron sights.

5. Motown Fire

Motown Fire Everett

I don't wear glasses but my dad always wears his everyday prescription glasses whenever he shoots with me. As stated above any eye wear that is ANSI approved will do just fine. I wear Oakley sunglasses and they are ANSI approved.

6. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

I think Fred is referring to progressive lenses, there is no distinct line between focal points. I've been using them for about 8 or nine years, got to the point where I couldn't see the front sight on my black powder rifles. Switched to progressive... not only could I see the sights again but I suddenly realized how many beautiful women there were walking around who I hadn't given the opportunity to reject me.

While plastic lenses have always provided all the protection I've ever needed the same can not be said for GLASS lenses... they will shatter if struck by something while either loading or shooting. I made the very bad decision of wearing glass lenses when I first started police work... learned my lesson very quickly after the first or second fight.

Jack

7. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

I load with safety glasses and take my glasses off so I can actually see.

8. fredj338

fredj338

I
    Correct, I dont' wnat someone thinking "progressive" lenses are glasses sold by liberal optometrists.:supergrin:

9. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

I wear my prescription 'progressive' (read as NOT Liberal, thanks Fred!) polycarbonate glasses.

I actually want to see what I'm doing. The 'Braille Method' doesn't work too well, in the loading room.:whistling:

10. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Ah, Fred... does your boss know you're coming up with these weird things while you're supposed to be working?

Arnold isn't your boss... is he? :whistling:

Jack

11. dudel

dudel

I just use my regular glasses. IIRC, they are case hardened anyway. They have to be by law, to prevent glass/plastic shards from getting to your eyes in the event of an accident. I you want to protect expensive progressives (the glasses; not the press); you could get a full face shield from Harbor Freight. I use one when casting; but not when reloading. Your glasses will still offer your eyes the most protection, the shield just offers some protection for the glasses.