close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

feild judging big black bears

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by jamieray, Feb 24, 2003.

1. jamieray

jamieray

need some info on feild judging big black bears might be going to manitoba this fall and i dont want to come back with a small bear

2. SnooseGoose

SnooseGoose DIAF

One thing I've been told and have read numerous times and which seems to hold true, at least for the bears I've harvested is to look at the bears ears. A big bear has a big skull which in turn cause the ears to look little on its head. 'So as a general rule the smaller the ears look on a bear the bigger the bear is.' I'm sure there are other ways but this is how I go about it, though the area I hunt (Eastern Oregon) has lots of bear but few really big ones so there is a noticeable difference when looking at the ears on a big bear. If the area you are hunting is known for lots of big bear, they may all seem to have small ears and this system might not work as well, but anyhow, that's my two cents. Good luck on your hunt if you end up going!

Ty.

3. tjpet

tjpet

I've always looked at the whole head. If it's relatively small with a long neck pass up the shot. A big bear has almost no neck and the head seems to melt into the body. A really good sized one has such a big body that anyone can tell it's a walking rug.

4. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Small ears on the head, no neck, very low hanging belly and high rump.
    Pay attention to those items and you should score well.

Have a good hunt.

5. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Small ears and little legs.

6. hcook

hcook

To expand a little on what tjpet said, the snout / face is another indicator, based on the same principle as the ears.

If the bear has a long snout / face, it's probably either young or skinny or both, and probably not one you really want to shoot. You want one that has a snout that appears to be short and wide, and a face that appears to be wide.

Best of luck on your hunt!

Hans