Feeling 21 again (kinda)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Gray Dood, May 27, 2020.

1. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

I joined my local police department in a suburb of New Orleans in 1981. We were required to purchase our own firearms and leather gear. The regs required, for uniform duty, "a 6 shot revolver, 4" or 6" in barrel length, manufactured by either Colt or S&W, in either. 38 Special or .357 Magnum caliber " .

Ammunition, also private purchase (training ammo was free), was specified as, " .38 Special +P with 125 grain jacketed hollow point bullet ". No manufacturer was specified.

I was not a die hard pistol affecianado and asked a Senior Captain for advice. His recommendation was, "...get a S&W Combat Magnum, a stainless one best of all because of weather. " He also happened to have one for sale.

His 4" Model 66 No Dash ( we didn't care about that back then) had been tuned and fitted with upgrades of Target Hammer and Wide Combat Trigger. Capt explained that the gunsmith had used color case hardened parts for a Model 19, as S&W was selling so many stainless guns that the flash chromed regular parts were almost impossible to obtain, even for the department.

Long story short I bought that revolver and it served me well both on the street and in POST competition. I sold it years later to fund my switch to "Wondernines" in the early 90s.

So about a week ago, I spotted an identical Model 66 No Dash for sale. Seller was claiming it was in 99% condition (mine was most certainly not when sold) and after examination I plunked down the bucks. Same setup and whomever did the trigger job on this one was just as talented as our department gunsmith in the 80s.

I'm more excited to shoot this one than almost any gun I've bought in a long time. So...here it is, in all its P&R glory, with the nicest set of factory Smooth Targets that I've ever seen (which came with the deal)...:)

20200527_183950.jpg

20200527_184434.jpg

20200527_184326.jpg

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

3. collim1

collim1

Very nice. The 66 is not my favorite, but it is my workhouse. I have far more rounds through it than any of my other revolvers.

I shoot a lot of super cheap and dirty reloads. The SS finish leaves me with no worries about rust when I put her up dirty.

I wouldn’t dare Try that with one of my purty blued model 10’s.

Gray Dood and IAhunter like this.
  4. DonD

DonD

You might be amused with a story about a retired cop and his duty firearm.

I was on Navy orders to a joint service command at Kirtland AFB, NM in 1987. Got a real estate agent who turned out to be recently retired from APD. His duty firearm was a .44 Mag! At that time, you could carry anything you could qualify with. These days it's a 9mm only. Don

fx77 likes this.
  5. DrewBone

DrewBone

A very handsome revolver that looks to be in fine shape all around :D

6. El Pistolero

El Pistolero bene vivere Silver Member

7,850 ft up in the New Mexico Rocky Mountains
    Gray Dood,
    That is a fine looking classic Smith and Wesson! :waving:

garya1961 likes this.
  7. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

A fine looking gun. Congrats on the purchase!

8. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Actually, that was the standard for officers that ended in 1979, you could carry anything you could qualify with.

Several guys had packed Model 29s, loading 44 Specials. And one I know of swore by the Model 57 in 41 Mag. They used to constantly lament only 38 Special, but that standardization let the Dept provide free training ammo for the first time.

Now...on the topic of duty loads, there was no manufacturer standard. Which means we all packed reloads showing 38 +P on the case, but pressured up to 38 +P+ pressure or 357 pressures. Not great for cases, or guns, but we didn't write the regs. You had to provide your own qualification ammo twice a year, and you could hear who reloaded and who didn't. :)

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    dbuck47, DonD and orangejeep06 like this.
  9. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Beautiful revolver, congrats and enjoy!

10. dbuck47

dbuck47

Congratulations on your find and thanks for sharing. I think the 4” 66/19 is my favorite classic Smith.

Gray Dood likes this.
  11. 1L26

1L26

Very cool! I carried one of those for a couple years on Patrol.

Gray Dood likes this.
  12. billorights

billorights

Beautiful revolver. I love the old wheel guns, pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, smooth grips. It don't get any better than that. Today's young shooters would be well served to learn about revolvers. Sadly, too many think a 9MM semi is the ultimate handgun.

Gray Dood likes this.
  13. Filhar

Filhar

A local Township Police Chief allowed his Officers to carry anything they wanted as long as the caliber was 45 acp.

Gray Dood likes this.
  14. DAKA

DAKA

WOW, nice... most (some) of us OF's had "those" or similar years ago, and 'upgraded" or so we thought....now, we fools are buying them back at 10X the price we sold then at...

billorights and Gray Dood like this.
  15. Lt Scott 14

Lt Scott 14

Nice thread, and flashback to days of revolvers. I was hired by a small town, and attended our State Training Academy. Ours was 8 weeks long, 3 rd week end starting Firearms training.
    My Dept would not issue a firearm till you qualled in academy, so I bought a S&W M10-5, Square grip, Thin(skinny)4in bbl. Blued.
    My scores with 38Spec LRN were fine, and qualled no problem. My Dept then issued a M66, 4in similar to OP's, and also qualled in 357 Mag(125 Gr JHP). Big Difference, but scores were good. I carried my issued Service Revolver till they purchased 40cal G22's. No problem with qualls, but truly missed my Stainless Combat Magnum. Still have my M10-5, in great shape, well cared for, and dependable. Wifey has it in her nightstand with 2 speedloaders of 158 GR JHP, and my Surefire 6P for illumination. My nightstand has a Sig 226, 15 rds of HS147gr JHP. All are winners if needed. Nice Revolver OP!

Gray Dood likes this.
  16. Gray Dood

Gray Dood

Mine too.

N frames get the most love these days but K frames did the most work in those days.

P.S. I like N frames too, as long as I don't have to carry them 8-10 hours a day. :)

dbuck47 likes this.
  17. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

After the Military Police I became a policeman in 1981 too.

The first generation 66s with the stainless steel internals could not polish up like carbon steel internals of 19s for a superb action job.

Great memories and I jumped on the 686 bandwagon when they became available because our Chief then thought autoloaders were the guns of Eurotrash. :cop:

mikey357 and Gray Dood like this.
  18. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Compton PD here in CA authorize the 44 Magnum. A few other small departments did too. :cop:

19. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I knew a few guys who carried the 25-5 in 45 Colt. I had one but never carried it but I did carry a S&W 1937 in 45 ACP. The 58 the fixed sight version of the 57 in 41 Magnum was popular too. :cop:

[​IMG]

Mine was similar with the same Pachmyr grips on it.

Gray Dood likes this.
  20. bac1023

bac1023

Plenty of revolvers in that round too ;)