Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, Worst Line Ever to start off a thread in this forum. But, as you guys know, I dont mind the beatings.

Untill I research some more of the info here, and start developing some new routines based on what looks like 'systems' training styles you guys use, I'm still doing 'iso' routines.
Today was back day on the ole' slidenglide. Actually, if any of you really wanna know what I'm using, its http://www.bayoufitness.com/Detail.bok?no=60.
Quit gigglin', I like it.
So here's how my routine broke down:
7 mins warmup/cardio on treadmill
"pullups" 2 warmup sets then 3 x 12-15
"chins" 3 x 12-15
underhand bar rows 3 x 12-15
v bar rows 3x 12-15
posture pulls (kinda like paddling out on a surfboard and extending upper body straight up as hands finish behind you) 3 x 12-15

In an effort to build some conditioning/stamina, I only take 30sec between sets, and between exercises I run on the treadmill for 1min. (elev 7, spd 7mph.)
Been training like this for last 3 wks, and while any strength gains on this machine are questionable, I do feel as though my conditioning is getting better.

Do you guys ever use a mix like this? IF so list some examples.

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I can really add anything but if you are running as a form of active rest between exercises I think your conditioning should improve. Keep at it and report the results.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Hey Dan,

I know nothing about back injuries. I don't know what you are capable of doing safely. So, I suspect that doing the iso movements on that f-in Chuck Norris contraption of yours is easy on your injury.

I know that sort of training isn't mainstream around here, if mainstream is a word that could be applied to us, but if it works and you enjoy it I think most of us would encourage you to keep going.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"I know nothing about back injuries."-California Jack

Jack, if you go your whole life and never have the knowledge I've got, count that as a blessing. My injury was a herniated l4/l5 (think beltline) disc that then split, extruding material into my spinal column. That material then moved around and finally settled against the nerves running down my right leg. Woke up Dec 25th, 2006 with pain, real pain. Like, tried to get my wife to hand me the Glock off the nightstand pain. After monkeying with primaries, walkins, er visits, and lotsa percoset/jackblack cocktails, my chiro, who wouldnt touch me, sent me in for an mri. January 23rd, 07, discectomy, laminectomy. Neurosurgeon says I have about 80% of that disc left. Thats why I'm so reluctant to do a lot of 'compression' style excercises. If the disc blew at 100%, what could happen at 80%? Now, after that I hired a friend of mine (2006 Mr Florida) who started his own biz to help me out. We did a lot of extensions, walking lunges, jumps, light-high rep leg press to gain some shape and size, but not a lot of what you guys would view as power.
The f'n :rofl:machine is just helping thru the summer till I can get back into the gym.

"I know that sort of training isn't mainstream around here, if mainstream is a word that could be applied to us, but if it works and you enjoy it I think most of us would encourage you to keep going."- California Jack

Yeah, I know, brother. But that's why I finally hiked up my unitard, strapped on my gloves, put on my sweat band, and joined in. After a few months of lurking around, I knew you guys were committed to what you were doin. I knew my training may be different, but I needed to surround myself to people who were committed as well to what they were doing.
And after seeing some photos, vids and reading about what you all are doing, you've opened a whole new door to very different aspects of training that I am really looking foreward to experiencing. My wife is already unhappy that i've got plans for tractor tires in the yard. She was real unhappy 'bout me calling all the juke joints lookin for empty kegs.
See, I know my training is NOT what you guys are about. But, we are all TRAINING. Strength, power, conditioning, stamina, everybody's got different interpretations, and paths for these goals. I love hearing about your prowler/sandbag/tire flip/backsprint relays. I know what kinda power and stamina that must take. And man, do I admire the guys that go out and earn their scars doin it. My path right now is a little different. But I do wanna travel the path you guys have beatn out. It will simply take me a little longer psychologically more than anything else.

I enjoy the fun that you guys poke at my slide-n-glide. Never any offense taken. Its just part of my path at the moment. I am enjoying coming up with ways to make such a goofy piece of equipment work for me. I enjoy training out in my yard trying to make my legs do stuff that a little over a year ago I wouldnt dream of attempting. And feeling almost like I'm being held responsible to the forum members here helps me hold to my commitment to go out and do it.

What I really hope, is that somehow MY path can help you guys as much as you all have helped me.

Dan

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
... but if it works and you enjoy it I think most of us would encourage you to keep going.
I sure would. I don't know any adult who tries to improve S&C for an actual "need," but rather for enjoyment and general interest. If you like it, go for it.

Of course, you'll get some Chuck Norris ribbing whenever we get a chance. :rofl:

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Dan,

I guess what I am trying to communicate is that, with no back injury knowledge, I am concerned that tire fliping, keg carries or throws, etc may be grounds for another injury.

I'd worry too about doing compression style exercise. If I found something I enjoyed doing and was safe with my injury, I'd have a hard time switching to something different.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I mean, this is the rear tire of a riding lawnmower we're talkin about here:supergrin:.
Seriously, I will be most careful as I attempt to get into this stuff. And trust me, first sign of trouble and I'll back off. It just looks like you guys are having FUN. And thats what this is all about. Lets face it, we may bizitch and whizine about about doing some of this stuff, but if ya didnt luv it, you wouldnt do it. At 37, dull job, typical life (wife, 2 kids, lotsa payments) I have to keep things fun or i go nutz. I believe the stuff you all are doing, if I'm careful, may benefit my back as much as anything else. And of course, I will be doing this from a long term, conditioning standpoint, with a lesser emphesis on strength (hence the lawn tractor tire, and empty kegs).
I'm gonna be asking you guys those FAQ's, mostly to learn, but some just so you can refer me indignantly to the faq section:tongueout:.

Dan

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
LOL Dan.
I'm gonna be asking you guys those FAQ's, mostly to learn, but some just so you can refer me indignantly to the faq section.
You HAVE been reading old posts.

And of course, I will be doing this from a long term, conditioning standpoint, with a lesser emphesis on strength (hence the lawn tractor tire, and empty kegs).
I was going to make a post about this soon. I am slowly starting t realize that as I approach 50, conditioning and strength endurance will be more imortand to me that increasing my 1 RM in the front squat. I agree.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
And after seeing some photos, vids and reading about what you all are doing, you've opened a whole new door to very different aspects of training that I am really looking foreward to experiencing.
If I may speak for the other regulars here, I think we all agree. I imagine that in one way or another each one of us has had an affect on our training.

Regulars, you agree?

·
BIGASS!!!!
2,836 Posts
If I may speak for the other regulars here, I think we all agree. I imagine that in one way or another each one of us has had an affect on our training.

Regulars, you agree?
Right on!

Thats why I like it here. We are all very similar, but just a bit different in our training.

We are all brothers in this game.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
fnCNc="f-in Chuck Norris contraption"

Jack, reckon we outta put this in the faq or acronyms sticky?

Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts