Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very recently, I bought I gen4 g23. Also I have a bunch of other guns and I find just about EVERTHING to be more comfortable in my hand than a sub compact glock (like my g27).

I shoot it ok, and Im a glock fan for sure but I always find I have some difficulty with feeling really "comfortable" with it in the hand. I really always assumed it was the width of it (subcompact) moreso than any other reason.

So Im holding the g23 last night and it feel really good, but I am saying.. damn... the g27 is the exact same width.. it is because its a gen4 and its a bit less long from front to back? So I throw on the backstrap of the g23 and it STILL feels better..

So I am looking at it in my hand.. then looking at the g27 in my hand and back and fourth and with the pinky extenstion on the 27 it looks like its almost identical in height.. and then all of a sudden "I get it!" :winkie:

Even though I assume the are the same height with the pinky extesion, it is the BACK height that is really causing me to feel differently! The fact that the grip ends before the bottom of my hand in the sub is why I find it uncomfortable to hold? I always thought it was the width of the gun or width from front to back with the hump (which also never made sense since my fingers are long!)

Bottom line, I was desperately waiting for the gen 4s with the changeable backstrap thinking that would make it better for me, however I just now realize it is really the shortness (even WITH the pinky extension) of the sub grip that makes it feel so much more "unstable" in my hand! :thumbsup:

Sorry for the long thread on this.. God knows it didnt deserve this much explanation... It just finally HIT my last night after so long! Guess I should have gotten a compact long ago vs the sub!:whistling:

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
my first was a 23 and it took me a bit to get used to it [from 1911s], then i bought a 27.
i would pick up 27s at gunshops and say no way. but after reading so many posts about how good the 27 was and knowing on a carry gun that a little less size and weight makes a big difference in carrying i bought on. after shooting it a bit i was the same way [gun feeling unstable].
the 27 will feel different and relies heavy on the preasure of the middle finger on the grip, its was made that way. if you put preasure on the ext the grip will rock in your hand and felt recoil will be more than it needs to be. this was demonstrated to me by a seasoned 27 owner. so for me its no ext. i use a gap floor plate and my talon grip is a must. set up this way its rock solid and i have great confidence in my grip. feeling unstable will pass with the more you shoot it. i promise.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Get whatever is comfortable to you. You. Don't go out of your way to try and make it feel good. The sub compacts aren't for everybody. I find that the compact is just as easy to conceal as the sub compact. I like them both but I own a g19. I'm looking into getting a g26. The g26 feels different because I'm used to the 19. I shot great with the g26 at the range. I got used to the pinky less grip within 25 rounds.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
FYI, if your goal in buying the G27 was ergonomics and comfort, you bought the wrong gun. That is not the mission of the sub-compact.
Agreed.. I think I used to feel I had to carry something very small, but over the years, I have realized that I am so used to carrying that I can carry bigger guns without any issue.

You are correct that the subs are not built for comfort... I just always felt I wasnt comfortable due to the "width", and or the "length" from front to back.. It simply NEVER occurred to me that it was the HEIGHT! :supergrin:

·
Banned
903 Posts
I pretty much realized the same thing. That's why I very quickly switched my EDC from G27 to G23 and recently sold the G27. It did nothing but collect dust.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Because of the shape of my hand, the subcompact Glocks fit me better than the other Glocks. Adding the mag extension does not alter that for me. The reason the baby Glocks fit me batter is because of where the "hump" at the rear of the grip frame is located. On the baby Glocks it is higher and more pronounced and it fits right into the hollow of my hand. On the larger Glocks it is a bit lower and more subtle and it hits against the lower half of my palm.

·
Registered
9,188 Posts
The backstrap hump, the smaller the Glock the higher up on the backstrap and more pronounced the hump gets. The hump doesn't bother me too much with my G23 and G27, but I can't stand it on the Gen3 G17/22. Strangely enough, the Gen4 G22 feels better in my hand than my Gen3 G23 does. And the Gen4 G23 feels pretty much perfect.

I think they should get rid of the backstrap hump and use detachable backstraps to add the hump back for people who want it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I find that my 19 is more comfortable to carry IWB than the 26 is. (unless I use the same 19 holster to carry the 26).. I advocate in another thread to buy IWB holsters that are made for the 19/23 to carry your 26/27. The extra inch of length doesn't seem to pinch my cheek as much. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Some folks with the G26/27 use the Pearce extensions to get the full hand-grip that you prefer. Enjoy your gun.

S2
Pierce extensions don't help with the backstrap not being long enough. I like the G19 mag/sleeve combo better, and you get a few extra rounds.

Pierce extensions are more concealable however. I can carry the G26 on my ankle with pierce extensions, with a G15 mag/slleve the grip is too long to be covered with my jeans.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
A sub-compact feels better to me and I shoot better with it. I guess that is why everyone does not own the same gun.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Problem solved:

I use this same set up. It works well for me. And you can use the same Kydex holster for both the 26 & the 19. An advantage of this set up is you have the capacity of the larger gun, but you can shorten the grip if you want to or need to for concealment purposes. Also, the 26 comes out of the holster just a little quicker because of the shorter length. By the way, GO ROCKIES.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The backstrap hump, the smaller the Glock the higher up on the backstrap and more pronounced the hump gets. The hump doesn't bother me too much with my G23 and G27, but I can't stand it on the Gen3 G17/22. Strangely enough, the Gen4 G22 feels better in my hand than my Gen3 G23 does. And the Gen4 G23 feels pretty much perfect.

I think they should get rid of the backstrap hump and use detachable backstraps to add the hump back for people who want it.
With Gen 3 at least my experience is the same as yours. The mini glocks feel the best. The compacts are sort of ok. And forget the full size, they really feel like a brick in my hand. And I think it is all, or at least largely, a function of where the hump impacts my palm.

I have not fired the Gen 4 yet. I have held them in the store. Frankly if you handed me one or the other, I doubt if I could tell if it was a Gen 3 or 4. But compared side by side in the store I can tell a difference. That difference may be significant or nothing when it comes to actually firing the piece.

Once there are all good reports coming out I guess I will have to buy a compact Gen 4 in either 9mm or 40. I had functioning problems with my Gen 3 G23 and G22, but it looks like the redesigned addressed the 40 cal problems, so the G23 in Gen 4 maybe my first purchase.

·
FYPM
5,596 Posts
The first time I handled Glock 9's, I ended up buying the 17 because it fit my hand best. After studying the subcompact 26 for some time, I bought one for carry purposes. Even though I have what I would call med-large hands (XL golf glove) I learned the two finger grip required to shoot the 26/27 properly (see Hickok45's video). Today, I carry the 26 every day with a Pearce+0 extension and all is good. Work with it and the 26/27 will become your favorite carry gun too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts