close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Feeding schedules...

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by PDogSniper, Jul 28, 2006.

1. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

If this has been addressed my apologies...

I just watched a show on hunting dogs and they stated that dogs should be fed at night... For years I've always fed mine in the morning... My thinking that the food would be digested throughout the day and they'd have their BM then and not at night while in the house...

Thinking way back though, I seem to remember when I was a young kid my dad had us feed the dogs at night... Those were hunting dogs and I don't hunt mine...

I guess the line of thinking is that feeding them in the morning slows them down during the day... If need be, they said to give them a few handfuls of food throughout the day...

What to do...?

2. buster55

buster55 Senior Member CLM

We have a couple german shepards & 2 mixes breed that we feed only at night. It is cooler and they seem to eat all thier food and rest more during the night,instead of barking at everything. I give them all a milkbone style treat when i change thier water every morning,and they are good to go.
    :dog:

3. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Yea but are they outside dogs or inside...? We keep ours in the house at night...

4. buster55

buster55 Senior Member CLM

The oldest g/s stays in at night,the other 3 are outside all the time.We tried a.m. feeding but they would not finish the meals,
    they just seem to eat and sleep better with evening feeding.

5. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

my GSD will eat when she wants (literally, if i keep her bowl full she might empty it once every coupla days or so), but my g/f's dog will eat anything that is put in the bowl at any time :freak:

needless to say, we try to keep them on a decent schedule, if only to seperate the two :freak:

6. HarlDane

HarlDane

I feed my dogs twice a day, at 8am and 8pm. Mainly because thats what it recommended by breeders of Great Danes to help prevent bloat and torsion. Sense I'm feeding him, I have to feed them all so they all eat on that schedual.