Feeding Issues...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by volsbear, Mar 7, 2010.

1. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

I took my Springfield Armory Stainless Loaded to the range yesterday and ran maybe 250 rounds through it. Took it home, took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together. Now it occasionally wants to bind up while feeding a round from the magazine into the chamber.

It's never done anything like this before and I certainly didn't do anything different than I've done in the past as far as disassembly, cleaning, or reassembly, but obviously something isn't working right.

What the hell did I mess up? Any suggestions?

2. CMG

CMG

Feeding while firing, or are you hand-cycling it?

How exactly is it "binding up"?

3. volsbear

Cycling it by hand.

Last night after I got it cleaned up and reassembled, I ran a magazine in and racked the slide and the slide stopped when it hit the rear of the catridge. The cartridge wouldn't come off the magazine onto the feed ramp. I tried two other magazines and the same thing happened. Took it apart a second time and everything looked okay so I lubricated the heck out of it and cycled it about two dozen times (no magazine). So now it only happens maybe ever 6 attempts. More frequently when trying to load a round via releasing the slide from the locked position via the slide stop lever.

I'm baffled.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  4. volsbear

Nevermind. I brain farted. Didn't roll the barrel link forward. What a stupid error.

5. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

never mind. deleted. I stared at the post for 30 minutes thinking and the problem was solved.

6. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

That happens. No worries. The other thing I've seen that some folks don't even realize until there gun is at the smithy... putting the spring in backwards on the guide. Won't affect all 1911s, but a good, tight, accurate 1911 can lock up if you do this wrong.

7. volsbear

That's a new one. I believe it came from the factory with this yellow crap on the rear end of the spring so that's how I've been putting it back together. Is there another way to tell?

This wasn't in the manual LOL

8. CMG

CMG

Glad you got it sorted out...

9. Quack

Quack Rent this space

the side of the spring that is wound flat goes to the guide rod and the pointy pig tail goes towards the plug (barrel bushing side)

10. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Bingo. Again, it won't affect all of them, but it does affect some fair number.

Further, most feeding problems can be sourced to the mags, in my experience. Sure, there are occasional burs and feed ramp problems. But in general, if the mags are changed it can solve the problem.

11. volsbear

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. Once I turned that barrel link forward the problem seemed to disappear. I've been loading the spring correctly as Springfield did mark the back side of the spring in a yellow coating. But at least now I know which end goes where once that coating fully dissolves. I just checked the manual again and there's no reference to a proper spring "direction" so I'm glad you brought it up.

Mags appear to be fine. I've got LOTS and they all get used to none of them have a particularly large amount of wear yet. Once I turned the barrel link the right way I cycled probably ten dozen times through numerous mags with no issues.

I still can't believe I put it together wrong. What a dufuss manuever LOL

12. gconan

gconan

We all do such things as we are learning! I once let the sear spring slip under the sear and did not know better. I had to beat the mainspring housing out with a screwdriver and hammer. At least I will never let that happen again!

13. MacG22

MacG22 CLM

Yup. 1911s are not for beginners. However, that's a great deal of the fun of them. When you can get them working properly, they are as good as it gets.

14. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR Senior Member

1911's sometimes are not for beginners. I liken them to a fine race car. They are a bit more finicky to tune and keep running( sometimes) but nothing touches them in performance.

15. volsbear

The sick part is I'm not learning. I've had 1911s for a long time LOL.

I'm writing it off to the fact that I cleaned and re-assembled that gun at about midnight after having to wake up at about 4am that morning. Yeah.... that's it. I was tired.

But hey at least I figured out the problem LOL.