close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Feedback/review of Honda Civic 1.8L

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Wp.22, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Wp.22

Wp.22

what to expect from this car?

Engine responsiveness:
    Handling:
    Sounds:
    Over all safety:

thanks

2. LexaDoig

LexaDoig

3. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

If it's Honda, you have to get your parts from the casa, and they are EXPENSIVE. Occasionally some are not available. I have a CR-V and it's great except for that. Next time, will not get a Honda only for that reason.

4. quick

quick what, me worry?

last week, i got to drive a friend's brand new civic 1.8l (s) all the way to baguio. since i am considering this particular model myself, it was an awesome chance to get intimate with it.

one drawback, however: her mother was in the car with us. damn. there went my chance to flog the civic on the highway... :sad:

anyhow, the engine is superb, as all honda engines are. the torque curve starts at lower rpms (the car was an automatic) giving an effortless feeling of acceleration. the auto transmission was also quite smooth (unlike the older generation civics). only on two occasions when i had to put my right foot down deeply, did the rpms rise to around 4,000 to 4,500 during a downshift at higer speeds (around 60-80 kph). during "gentler" overtaking manoeuvers at those speeds, the engine had enough torque to accelerate the car without having to downshift.

i wanted to flog the car around marcos highway, considering the nice curves, but could not. so the handling aspect i couldn;t really comment on. the ride itself for "normal" driving was quite comfortable. seating was also quite comfy, so absolutely no back aches during the six-hour trip (yeah i know... but please refer to the part about the mom riding with us...:supergrin: )

as for sounds, i'd prefer the regular 1-din/2-din style head units (i'm old school) for easier after market upgrades. but sounds aer adequate enough for most people (single feed cd player). i would have to spend a little extra to upgrade the sounds (headunit, tweeters, mids, woofers, subs, etc.) due to the stock set up.

safety wise, the "s" model has 4-wheel discs, abs, airbags. the usual stuff, so it is a wise choice to choose above the "v" model.

two last observations: (1) on the drive up the winding marcos highway, i noticed that the hefty a-pillar obstructed my left hand view somewhat, such that i had to lean forward a little to observe the left turn through the windshield. a minor issue, i;m sure, but it was a point to consider, nevertheless.

(2) the digital speedo takes some getting used to. its a little bright at night. yet another minor point.

for a more professional review, check this out.:

http://www.motioncars.com/front/05.29.2006_01/index.htm

cheers.

5. HEAVY

HEAVY "Verify!"

and who might this "friend" be?

all the way to baguio, huh?

and with the mom (in-law?) in tow?

hehe. ligawan mo na kasi!

6. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Agreed. Ang mahal ng Honda parts. Good vehicles pero pag nabaha, yari ka sa casa.

7. isuzu

isuzu

Yup, Honda won't install NGK spark plugs that you buy outside. But their spark plugs are made by NGK!:upeyes: You have to buy parts from them, including the oil and oil filter or else your warranty is void. I hope there would be a law enacted which is similar to the Magnusson-Moss act.

I still like the multi link suspension of the 90's Honda. Their new suspension is just the simple McPherson Strut, and it doesn't handle as well as the old suspension. That's probably why Toyota is no. 1 again in the Philippines. For instance, if your rear hub bearing fails, you have to buy a hub assembly, because the bearing is sealed. Some reputable auto supplies sell Honda replacement parts, but most parts are hard to find. One thing more, even the OIL DIPSTICK is made of PLASTIC!

Complaints here of the new Honda Civic is that if you're a tall person, your knee might hit the panel below the steering wheel.

I'd rather stick to the ever-reliable Corolla.

8. jasonub

jasonub

+1 on toyota corolla altis:banana:

9. Benj

Benj

10. Wp.22

Wp.22

according to the wife inorder na kanina yung civic grey ang color. BTW this is a company issued car.

11. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Last Saturday our Honda got flooded up to the steering column.
    The engine computer was toast, and while the total cost of repairs
    is indeed considerable, it's the long wait that'll kill ya.
    In 2004, our parked Civic got hit by a speeding(!) garbage truck.
    Mostly fender replacement lang, it took over six weeks to get
    the car back from Honda.

Frankly, I enjoy driving the old City more than the Civic.
    The new Ford Focus is a gorram lemon.
    Labas-pasok sa Casa because the elecricals keep going funky,
    and the P10,000 free gas is practically a hoax:
    Kailangan mo pa'ng awayin ang dealer to get the promised freebies.

Hocus Focus, my butt...
    Buyers need to stay away from that gas-quzzling POS.

:upeyes:

12. jasonub

jasonub

congrats on the civic. It should be a good car, lots of die hard civic fans to deny this.

but me i go for numero uno, second place sucks:upeyes:

13. agentrod

agentrod

My office mate has one (1.8L) and compared to his 99 Vti (1.6L), he swears the new Civic consumes less gass even if its engine is bigger.

The new Civic screams for wider tires and bigger mag IMHO.:)

14. isuzu

isuzu

Horge, if you have a Ford Focus, have the tires rotated every 5000 kms. Yes, every 5000 kms. The rear suspension on the Ford Focus is really bad that cupping on tires is very evident at around 3000 kms.

Watch out for the new GM vehicles. Got to rent a 2006 Chevy Impala over the weekend, and it was the first time I really appreciated an American car. We travelled around 610 kms and we only refueled a total of 52 liters before returning it to Budget. I talked to my boss about the experience, and he told me that it is essentially a Toyota Camry with a different body style (with more features) and it costs thousands of dollars less than the Toyota Camry.

Toyota has been quietly infusing its technology and quality into GM and that the Chevy Impala now uses Toyota's Variable Valve Timing technology in its engines. The Pontiac Vibe is essentially a Toyota Matrix which costs thousands of dollars less than a Toyota Corolla Matrix.

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevrolet/impala/index.jsp

15. jasonub

jasonub

16. isuzu

isuzu

Toyota's target is to be the no. 1 car maker in the whole world in a couple of years. That's why they have been quietly getting a substantial share in GM.

They manufacture forklifts with Electronic Stability Control.

Toyota also now owns Daihatsu and Hino Trucks.

Daimler Chrysler announced that it will be discontinuing certain models which would translate loss of jobs. So is Ford after Bill Ford run the company to the ground.

17. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

Every 5,000 kilometers??? Good heavens...
    Thanks for the tip, isuzu!
    (Anything else I need to know?)

I'm still waiting on Ford to call us:
    the power steering is out, and they're waiting for
    the ordered parts to arrive from the U.S.

The Focus rides (passenger-wise) very nicely.
    It drives weird though (even with the power steering working):
    the cabin space, outward visibility, apparent height aboveground,
    and the feeling of really thick walls around me...

Only other time I felt that weird behind the wheel was driving my
    sister-in-law's Touareg. Too many widgets to play with on that one.

18. isuzu

isuzu

Yup, every 5000 kms. Cross rotate the rears to the front; move the front tires to the rear. You would notice if you measure the tires with a thread depth gauge that the right front tire usually wears more than the rest of the tires. It's because the right front tire is the one that engages before the left front tire, and we have lots of left hand turns when driving on the right side of the road.

The Focus' rear suspension is so bad that cupping of the rear tires is evident only after 3000 kms. Also, change the tranny fluid at the specified interval if you have an automatic transmission.

Sad to say that the electricals on the Focus is not that good. Fords are also notorious for burning the power steering fluid.

I think you should keep pressuring Ford to expedite the parts for your power steering pump. But I think they have parts for them there in the Philippines since the Ford Focus is assembled there. Or, they should at least lend you a courtesy car that you can temporarily use.

19. dinggaling

dinggaling APO Traveler

COURTESY CARS? DON'T WE ALL WISH!!!!:rofl:

20. isuzu

isuzu

That's what you call customer service.:)