close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Feedback on slide finish

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by sgt-spam, Feb 2, 2010.

1. sgt-spam

sgt-spam NRA Life Member

I'm looking for feedback on the 'new' matte slide finish.

My Glocks have the 'old' shiny finish, and I've grown to like it - a lot.

19 and 21 have shiny slides and barrels - barrels got smiley pretty quickly - no issues there.
    26 has shiny slide and dull barrel. I've read the dull barrels don't get smileys quite as quickly. I only have 100 rounds down the pipe on the 26, so can't confirm much there.

Looked at a new 17 and it has the dull barrel and matte slide. Despite being new, there were quite a few marks on the slide - it seems to scratch easily based on what I saw.

Anyway - I know there are a hundred billion threads on treatment vs finish vs old vs new - that's not what I'm after here.

I'm curious if anyone can post some photos or offer some first hand experience about holster / handling wear with the 'new' matte finish that's available.

2. vmann

vmann Controller

the new matte finish is the same as the old matte finish they used back in the early 90's...it marks up very easy...

3. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I don't understand it; I've bought 5 Glocks since July from the same gun shop, and I have yet to get one that has that finish on the slide; the barrels have that finish, but not the slides.

From July to present-

Glock 22 RTF
    Glock 27
    Glock 30SF
    Glock 36
    Glock 34 (Last Week)

All of these were Blue Label, if that matters. :dunno:

4. mr smithglock

mr smithglock

Shoot 500 more rounds out of your g26 you wont notice a diference in smielys :) i have shoot about 1200 rounds through my new g26 with grayish barrel and i have noticed no wear at all.

5. sgt-spam

sgt-spam NRA Life Member

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Still interested in how people feel about the wear on their matte finish slides.

6. vmann

vmann Controller

i dont like it, never have...when i buy a new glock and it has the matte finish on it, the next stop will be robar guns for np3 finish....

7. vmann

vmann Controller

as far as the marks on the barrels, i have noticed that every new glock pistol i have purchased has these marks before i even shoot it...i dont know what causes it or why its there, but i guess i never really gave it much thought cause they all have it...

8. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

My new 35 was test fired Feb 25 '09.It has the glossy, shiny finish on both the slide and barrel.I much prefer the new matte finish.

9. Boost_Junkie

Boost_Junkie Mike November

My G19 had the dull slide finish. Test shell date was April '09. Didn't care to much for so I had it Cerakoted in FDE. The FDE was part of a defective batch and was chipping so it's getting redone in OD green.

Manny