Feds Searching People in Indianapolis???

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by rhino465, Aug 2, 2007.

1. rhino465

rhino465

2. 4sarge

4sarge Millennium Member

I heard it was Bart Peterson's Peeps looking for Money to Fund the City. What a Typical Crock of Federal BS. Makes me feel safer that the Take Scissors Away Police are now on the open road securing us from the terrorists who ride Indy Go. I feel safer already :tongueout:

Now, if they would only commandeer that bus, replace TSA with ICE, travel out West Washington Street and check for Green Cards ;)

3. Scutter01

Scutter01

"No, thank you. Am I free to go?"

Say it with me:

4. txgho1911

txgho1911

I am wiped out. Never took that walk as I work SW of the circle. I did some digging and found no law forbidding carry on the bus. The indygo website does not list any rider rules and I searched extensively.
    If you would like to search for anything like this in city code look here.
    http://www.municode.com/Resources/gateway.asp?pid=12016&sid=14

If stopped from boarding the bus I would ask them if they are inventing law.

5. Pitmaster

Pitmaster

I saw the same post on The Firing Line and started a thread before seeing this one. If the mods can delete my thread please do.

Lots of discussion but facts and sources are non-existent. Anyone here heard or seen anything from a reliable source.

6. seamus

seamus Guest

What is a "behavior detection officer"? Are they like glorified hall monitors?

7. meeko

meeko

If TSA is anything like the Federal Bureau of Prisons some GS 13 got a special act award for thinking up some term like that.

8. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

I called my stepson who lives there and he said he has not heard anything about it.

9. epsylum

epsylum Guest

I live here and this is the first I have heard of it. They have been pretty hush hush about it (gee I wonder why? :upeyes: ). I smell a lawsuit coming their way.

10. jsx1043

jsx1043

Due to my "close working relationship" with the TSA, I spoke with several members of the screening team and they filled me in. Apparently, we'll be see it happening more often in all big cities and state capitols since the idea came from Washington DC. There were Federal Air Marshals on hand for "reinforcement." Apparently, the IndyGo supervisors told the passengers who didn't comply with the "Voluntary" Screening that they would not be riding the bus that day. IMPD did not have anyone one scene.

Hey, after a few years of interacting with the TSA on a daily basis, I have come to the realization that you can't spell 'Gestapo' without the letters T S and A!

11. rhino465

rhino465

So what kind of non-law or non-regulation did the IndyGo people pull out of their a**es to prevent people from riding the bus if they refused a search??

12. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

This is outrageous!

We need to stop this from happening again.

13. 4sarge

4sarge Millennium Member

Not only is it outrageous, it's ridiculous and a waste of taxpayer money :shocked:

14. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

From The Indianapolis Star

TSA screeners check passengers at 2 bus stops
    August 3, 2007

You typically see them at the airport, but screeners from the Transportation Security Administration showed up Downtown on Thursday to check passengers at two city bus stops.
    The agency, with cooperation from IndyGo, said its agents were checking for weapons as part of a general effort to ensure safety.
    Security stations were set up at bus stops at Capitol Avenue and Market Street, and at Ohio and Meridian streets. Some passengers were patted down or submitted to having bags checked.
    Passengers could decline to be checked. Those who did would not be turned away, a TSA official said, unless they otherwise appeared to be a security threat.

TSA checks IndyGo bus passengers
    Star staff
    August 2, 2007

Screeners from the Transportation Security Administration checked passengers at two Downtown city bus stops this morning, looking for weapons and suspicious behavior.

David Kane, federal security director for TSA in Indianapolis, called it a "VIPR" operation.

"It's called Visual Intermodal Prevention Response. We have plainclothes inspectors, blue-gloved uniformed security officers who are checking baggage, the behavior detection officers, and federal air marshals, which are the law enforcement arm of TSA."

Security stations were set up at bus stops at Capitol Avenue and Market Street, and Ohio and Meridian streets.

Some passengers were patted down or submitted to having bags checked.

TSA said the searches were “by-permission,” meaning patrons could decline to be checked. Those who did would not be turned away, an official said, unless they otherwise appeared to be a security threat.

15. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

Now the question, does IndyGo fall under federal transportation? One could argue yes because (if) they receive federal aid.

16. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

You know...you see an electrical outlet on the wall down by the baseboard, and you wonder about the hidden wiring behind the wall, where it leads to, what its source is. Kinda the same thing here, for me.

I wonder what they're thinking in some far-off federal think-tank that makes them believe that they need to do this. That they'd better take steps to have a smooth-operating disarmament system in place and ready to be implemented, should the need arise. In case something happens on a transit bus here in America.

My guess is somebody somewhere is convinced that we'll be having suicide bombings on our public transit system sometime soon, and we have to be "ready" for that. The basic folly of it, of course, is that it runs completely counter to what the Israelis have bitterly learned from the numerous terrorist bombings of their public transit buses. The correct response to bombers on a transit bus, according to the Israeli model, is for all law-abiding citizens (including the driver) to be discreetly armed. Not to dis-arm them, for Christ's sake. The 2nd Amendment is easily our greatest tool for combatting street-level terrorism.

We've all long known that Abdul and Rasheed will be bringing their travelling suicide-bomber show to our neighborhoods a lot sooner than any of us would like. Always keep in mind what terrorist action is aimed at accomplishing among the civilian population of the targeted nation. In any event, based on the TSA now bumblingly practicing how to disarm transit bus passesngers makes me wonder what's really going on. Anybody care to share their thoughts with me on this?

17. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

Is this a training exercise for searches after the first bus bombing?

I believe NYC searched people on the subway after the London subway/ bus bombings. I wonder if the States take Federal transportation funds and thereby allow the TSA to have authority over passengers.

The CCW issue is an interesting one. If you have a G19 and the terrorist sets off his vest next to you, you are still dead. On the other hand, if you detect a bomb vest, you could shoot the terrorist in the head as they do in Israel. I do think that it's pretty stupid to put people in a line to search for bombs. Why not set off the bomb in line. You would have the same body count.

Perhaps, they had a tip that someone might be bringing a bomb in a backpack or was testing the security system. We don't have alot of info.

18. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Guest

I would almost bet my next paycheck that IndyGo received some sort of federal funds. And as we have seen in the past once federal funds are used you play by their rules (hint: school bussing).

19. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

How do we stop this? Any type of legal action that can be taken? Who should we write?