fedreal 180 gr hydro shock hollow points for the 40 cal glock anygood as a duty round

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BLACK Z, Sep 25, 2002.

1. BLACK Z

BLACK Z

That is what I got issused and was wondering what you though of it? is there better? We praticed with 180 gr american eagle full metal jackets.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

It is a fine choice.:)

3. FORTY

FORTY Millennium Member

My G-23 and G-27 are stuffed full of them right now. That's been my carry load for many years.

Accurate...Reliable...Low Flash...Low Recoil...Low Noise...Easily acquired practice ammo that mimics it.

It will do its' job if you do your's.

4. glocksmith02

glocksmith02

We do the same thing. Hydroshocks are A-OK by me. It also helps when you shoot them out of a model 35.

5. Bamboozled!!!

Bamboozled!!!

I think the Hydro-Shoks are a good choice for a couple of reasons.

1)I saw one as we took it out of a person in the OR. It expanded as designed with good mass retention. The individual mentioned is alive, and will face our criminal justice system.

2)It is the issue round for the FBI, which I consider a pretty good endorsement.

6. Rocketman

Rocketman Director - FFTC

Last I heard, the FBI was still using the 165 Golden Saber. I'll have to check it out. The Hydrashok is a very good bullet design, a reliable expander, though generally a bit amenic. I've heard that Federal is working on a more potent offering, as of late. I'm not a proponent of the 180gr bullet in the forty. It was great when the 10mm was the cats meow, but the 165 seems to be better suited for the .40. As always, these are just my opinions...

7. gatorfan

gatorfan

When I worked for the Key West Police Dept. thats the round they issued for the guys who carried 40 caliber glocks. Some of the guys were trying to get the administration to change to the 165 grain hydroshocks. They felt it was a better round than the 180. They felt that the 165 grain was better because it was a faster round. I don't know for sure which one is better because I carried a 45 caliber glock with 230 grain hydroshocks.

8. Rocketman

Just as an update, the FBI used to use the 165 HydraShok, until they found out that it was downloaded. At that time they switched to the 165 Golden Saber. The 180 HydraShok, in 10mm, is the current issue ammo for their 10mm MP-5s... Hope this clears things up.

9. Bannack

Bannack

Up here in the NW, the 165 Federal Hydra Shok is still the carried bullet used in our G22/23 weapons. ;j

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Did anyone see the article in American Handgunner on the 155gr Triton Quik Shok. I'm not sure of Triton's reputation, as I've never even shot 1rd of theirs, but the article potrayed the round in a positive light. I'm curious how it would do thru Clothing though, as the article fired all the rounds into bare gelatin.

180gr HydraShok is a good round, carry in peace.

11. Bamboozled!!!

Bamboozled!!!

Rocketman,

You are indeed correct that the FBI switched from 165gr Hydra-Shok to 165gr Golden Saber, but about 3 mo ago the DEA got a bad batch of GS so the FBI switched back to HS for now. I hear the Bureau will re-issue the GS in the near future.

12. Thorazine

Thorazine

Anyone have any experiance with the lighter 135gr .40 hydra-shoks?

13. Rocketman

In my experience, the 135s are too light and underpowered for the .40. But I'm admittedly a proponent of mid weight bullets at the highest velocity possible...

14. BLACK Z

BLACK Z

15. exilefromhell

exilefromhell

Bingo! I did extensive research and testing when I was deciding what to use. 135, 155, 165, 180, different manufacturers, etc. I found the 135 to be to light, the middle weights painful to shoot (at least for me), and the 180 perfect. They say the middle weights are better but the difference is small IMO. Take different weights to the range and try it out.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47945

16. wesrub

wesrub

I bought a box of 180 and 165 and I was MUCH more accurate with the 165gr Hydros. Just my opinion (and my 23's :))

17. allamricn

allamricn

I just got back from the range to try out 165gr Hydroshoks, 165gr Gold Dots, and 165 gr Golden Sabres for stuff I would keep in case of home invasion.

The Hydroshoks produced the tighest groupings, followed by the GS, and lastly, the Gold Dots.

I am in the process of acquiring some 165gr Ranger Ts to test them, and then I will make up my mind as to a SD/HD ammo.

(This is coming from a first time Glock owner who is currently taking the Basic Pistol course. I freely admit I don't have 1 to 1.5 inch groups, more like 3 inches-- But I never miss the paper at 25-30 ft. and put 5 out of 10 inside the 2 smallest circles)

Just my opininon.

40 S&W Club #1129
    NRA Member
    (new) GSSF member

18. ReflexBlade

ReflexBlade

I'm really quite fond of the Fed Hydra Shok 180gr JHP .40

It's my choice carry load for winter, as it's less sensitive to intervening barriers like clothing, more so than the Speer Gold Dot 180gr, or the Rem Golden Saber.

The 180gr Hydrashok is mild to shoot in my G22, and gives descent velocity, a bit over 960fps Av.

Often expands to .70" in water bottles covered in cloth. Normally penetrates three 2litre bottles end to end @5m (with cloth covering)
    Has never shed it's copper jacket, and only once did I get a failure to expand, shot through two sheets of 1.5mm thick sheet metal.

I find the 180gr loads more comfortabel than the 155gr versions @1200fps, but some hot 165gr JHP's like Cor Bon and Speer Gold Dot are quite punchy, you know it's hot.

One caveat, there does seem to be more evidence that points to 180gr .40's causing KB's, less room for error, especially in seating depth.
    Repeated chambering of the Federal or any makers 180gr .40 loads may elevate pressure dangerously.

It may pay to slowly feed the slide forward rather than letting it slam forward when chambering a 180gr .40, YES, I know this can lead t feed problems and damage the extractor, but I experimented my self with a Winchester 180gr FMJ, after 3 feeds into chamber, it was already 0.5mm shorter than new!!!!!!!!

It may also help in gently applying a bit of extra crimp to tighten up the mouth, buut going to far here can also push up pressure.

With all that said, I still think that the Federal Hydra Shok 180gr .40 is a fine, perhaps best heavy bullet subsonic .40
    My first choic FWIW, and I've tested quite a few(all weights)

19. Tackleberry38

Tackleberry38

Sometimes we get issued 180 GR. Federals sometimes 180 GR. Winchesters Both seem to work fine.