Fedex 3rd degree

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by n2extrm, Apr 6, 2012.

1. n2extrm

n2extrm

So I placed a large order for primers and powder from Grafs. I usually split a decent sized order with a friend or two so we can offset the Hazmat fee. This was about 40 or so pounds of primers and powder.

I normally ship items to my In-laws house. There is always some one home and I have their address added to my CC as a shipping address, never an issue.

Fedex shows up today and delivers and they read my mother in-law the riot act.

First they want to know if she is expecting a package, who the package is for, spell their full name.

Next what is the relationship between you and the person.

Request for ID from her. Scrutinize the ID. Re-question about the relationship.

Now I have had powder primers even a few guns shipped back to their address. Never a problem.

Graf's has the address on file.

Graf's has a copy of my FFL, yeah it's only a C&R but they have the account and give you the option to ship to others.

Any body else having problems with deliveries from Fedex?

We are planning another order in a few months, but I don't want to have her get the third degree again. I would ship to my house, but it is hit or miss if anyone will be home.

My father in-law is a retired cop, works from home now days so he is almost always home.

:dunno: :faint:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Let's not get carried away here, it's only your mother in law. If the goons hauled her away to a re-education camp, you and your FIL would be brought closer.

3. n2extrm

n2extrm

Yes that maybe true. :rofl: I was just shocked at it!

4. fredj338

fredj338

UNless your state requires something special, most just want an adult sig. The FedX guy is over reaching. Who does he think he is a govt employee?

5. n2extrm

n2extrm

Exactly Fred. I never even had them ask for ID before. When I was running a repair shop they would just leave it in my office for me.

When I was unable to do that I started sending things to my in-laws. No issues ever and there are no other restriction in NY.....At least not yet!

Maybe he didn't pass the ATF test or what ever job he was trying for.

6. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

No fun about getting harassed from the fedex man. Just wrong.

I'm still amazed however that one can order primers, powder, live ammunition and have them dropped off at your front door.

7. RustyFN

RustyFN

Yes they only deliver when i'm at work and want a signature. They almost took one of my orders back to Graf's. I have requested UPS since then.

8. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Sounds like the Moms-in-law got a newb driver or some over zealous Jack Wipe that thinks they have more authority than they do. When I was at Fedup an adult signature is all that is required on hazmats. The ONLY time ID is required is when alcohol is delivered. Call and complain, reference your tracking number. They'll know who delivered it.

9. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

I have the best FEDEX guy in the world. If a package requires a signature (like from Glock), and I'm not home, he calls me on my cell to see if I'm close by.

My UPS guy has missed me for a signature before and 'swung by' later to see if I was home yet.

What a country...

10. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

That's what I'd do, and I'd also make sure Graf's knows how their customers are being treated by their courier services.

11. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

My UPS guy is better yet. If he delivers when I'm not home, he puts it in the lock box in the garage, signs for it, and locks the garage on the way out. Never had a missing shipment or stolen anything. He's a gun guy and is totally understanding of a part time FFL.

FedEx comes earlier in the day when I'm around.

12. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Let me dispel the popular notion of "How great my courier is".
    All the lock boxes, signature releases, garage door codes, cell phone numbers and work addresses are great to give to your driver. It gets you your package without hassle but does not make your driver great. Your driver is happy to see you because that means 1 less stop the next day and running a route that has normally 300 to 400 stops a day you do all you can to lessen your work load. Yank those options away from your driver and sit back and watch what happens.

Disclaimer: I am not a disgruntled ex employee, I enjoyed 99.9% of my time as a driver. A better part of the drivers ARE great people (and are people persons), these are just some first hand observations. :wavey:

13. n2extrm

n2extrm

Well I called FedEx, they agree he was out of line. They gave me a complaint number or some sort of number.

They apologized so I guess I am feeling all warm and better inside. :dunno:

I really didn't expect much else, but at least they know what he is doing to their customers.

14. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Good maneuver hopefully this will solve the problem for you.

15. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Uh-oh... I see week-late deliveries left in mud puddles in front of your MIL's house. :supergrin:

16. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Why? He is not a government employee. He can and will get let go if he gets too many complaints.

17. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

You didn't include kerosene and fertilizer in the order, did you?:whistling:

18. Nine Shooter

Nine Shooter Average Guy

I still get amusing comments/looks from the FedEx/UPS guys when I order bulk ammo or hazmat stuff. The last driver and I chatted about steel cased ammo and AR's for a bit though. They are usually pretty nice and don't care.

19. n2extrm

n2extrm

The guy who used to come to my shop was a "gun guy". He would always leave my stuff in the back (private area) of the shop. He gave me his cell number if I needed a pick up just call him. Never had a problem with him.

This guy was a winner though.

20. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

"Caring" about your work is usually a good thing. It means you're doing a good job.

In this case, the driver was blatantly overstepping his boundaries. It is not his job to be checking ID just because it's a hazmat order of primers/powder. As far as I know, there are no requirements that the order has to be shipped to a certain place (the address of the person making the order). I have my orders shipped to my office all the time. If there was some sort of requirement, you would think these sites would have a warning (order must be shipped to such and such a place) or something.

If a driver showed up at my office and started acting like the OP's driver? I'd be up in his face pretty quick like. People overstepping their authority and being pricks is a sore spot with me.