close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Federal HST issue

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Trey Dudley, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Trey Dudley

Trey Dudley

Yesterday me and the wife were shooting some 147 grain federal HST out of my gen 5 19. I have shot about 60 rounds or so of the +p 147 grain without issue before. I just bought about 500 rounds standard pressure. First mag I shot about 4 rounds in the gun jammed with the slide stuck about 1/8"-1/4" and a live round in the chamber. It took me a few minutes to clear it as it was jammed really tight. A few minutes earlier my wife's new shield had a malfunction that looked to be a nosedive and was easily cleared by tap-rack-bang. Has anyone else had experience with this? I can't find much info online. I shot another mag without issue after but didn't bring enough ammo to really test it as I was already pretty confident with hst's performance as I have shot a few hundred rounds out of several of my other guns.
    Thanks

Capt. H likes this.
  2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Sounds like you may have some of that lot left. If so, pull one out of the box and hold it up to the light. Does the case mouth flare slightly outward? Or does it seem perfectly straight?

I have a lot of 124gr HST +P where the belling (flare of the case mouth) put there to aid in bullet seating, was not fully removed with the crimp die during production. In my guns (pretty much all the ones I shoot the Federal HST's in), they chamber fine, but the Gen 5 might be a little tighter.

Just one possibility.

3. nitesite10mm

nitesite10mm Proud Husband

I hope you can get the lot number from the box of your ammo and contact Federal. They keep loaded rounds on file from each lot number for measurement.

DKSmith45 likes this.
  4. Trey Dudley

Trey Dudley

I pulled a couple out just now, they look straight to me. I inspected the casing yesterday (wish I didn't toss it) and it seemed fine too, except the bullet had a marred spot where I guess the feed ramps caught it? Yeah my gen 3 17 fed it like a champ, it seemed to be that one round. But my wife's shield choking on it moments before got me a little worried about it

5. Trey Dudley

Trey Dudley

So you say contact federal with a lot number to see if there was an issue? Was there a bad run I didn't hear about?

DKSmith45 likes this.
  6. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

If it was the flaring I have on mine, it is pretty pronounced, so likely not the problem.

It sounds like you had one that may have been loaded with an OAL that was too long. The mark on the bullet is usually made by the lands, when you have a round that jams due to being too long.

The Gen 5 guns reportedly have shorter throats (according to Glock) as part of the marksmen barrel. Older Gens have very generous throats and are very tolerant of OAL issues. You might try doing a "plunk test" with your ammo and your barrel, before going to the range. There are lots of youtube videos on the so called plunk test if you have questions, but basically you take the barrel out of your gun and drop the rounds in one at a time. They should go "plunk" and fall free when you turn the barrel over. If you plunk test your ammo before you go shooting, for sure, you won't have any out of battery jams.

As an aside, if you ever get an out of battery jam like that, the easiest way to clear it is to grab the top of the slide with your weak hand and slam your strong hand into the grip, right where you would grip it. Even really stuck ones usually break free after a few tries.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Lee Elliott, DanaH, rgual77 and 9 others like this.
  7. Trey Dudley

Trey Dudley

Researched and tried the plunk test. Interesting results. So the standard pressure 147 grain "plunked" in the gen 5 barrel, but did not rotate freely or drop out freely. My gen 4 and gen 3 barrels did just fine. So out of curiosity I tried it with a couple +p 147 grain, and they dropped in and out fine, and somewhat rotated. I didn't think +p would effect bullet sizing being the same brand and grain etc. Thanks for the tip looks like I'll be rocking the gen 4 again for awhile :p

8. A6Gator

A6Gator

Haven't had that issue with my Gen 3 G19. My standard 147gr HST's work fine. +P's, when I tried them seemed pretty snappy, with more flash. Never saw the need for +P after that. YMMV

Lee Elliott likes this.
  9. Trey Dudley

Trey Dudley

Yeah I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my gen 4 out of the 2-3k rounds I've put through it. And I agree, which is why I bought the standard pressure recently

10. A6Gator

A6Gator

Got a G19 for my Frau. She tattoo's the target with the regular 147's. I'm good with that.

Lee Elliott likes this.
  11. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

If I were you, I would take nitesite10mm's advice and contact Federal with the lot number, explain the failure you had, the plunk test fails you had with the 147gr HST's and your Gen 5 Glock. Maybe explain, according to Glock, they have tightened up the throat of the Gen 5 barrel and now it looks like your 147gr HST's don't chamber properly.

147gr bullets are pretty long by 9mm standards and can present challenges loading without raising pressures too much and also not be too long OAL.

When I heard Glock was shortening the throat on the Gen 5 guns, I suspected we would start seeing issues, but I thought it would be with the reloading community, not Federal.

I might also call Glock CS and inform them of everything you know regarding your HST's and the new Gen 5.

Good luck.

Lee Elliott, nitesite10mm and F14A like this.
  12. Trey Dudley

Trey Dudley

Ok I'll call them tomorrow and let them know. Would it make sense for Speer gold dot 124 +p to most likely work better as far as tolerances? I might give them a swing next time I pick some ammo up to see what all the fuss is about

13. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

I would be willing to bet any of the premium 124gr rounds chamber fine, including HST's. The 147gr bullet is just a touch more of a challenge, there is just a lot of bullet up front.

Federal may exchange the lot you have (and maybe make good the ones you already shot as compensation).

Lots of people like 147gr HST's, so I suspect this won't be the last time we hear of issues with a Gen 5 and 147gr ammo. I prefer 124gr myself, but I have always been a middle of the road kind of guy. :)

14. 315

This will prove somewhat interesting since we are in the midst of taking delivery of nearly 400 Gen 5's, 17 and 19's. And the round we will be using will be the 147 HST. I've run about 100 of the 147's through my Gen 5/19 with no issues so far. I'll be interested to what Federal has to say.

Lee Elliott and WeeWilly like this.
  15. Trey Dudley

Trey Dudley

Ok I'll keep y'all posted!

WeeWilly likes this.
  16. JBP55

JBP55

My Gen 5 G17 eats 124gr Gold Dot, HST and American Eagle as well as 147gr. HST.

Lee Elliott likes this.
  17. Trey Dudley

Trey Dudley

Interesting, maybe mine just has a really tight throat on it. I'm not sure. Despite that, I buy a Glock for reliability so it's disappointing to see it choke up on a certain weight of bullet

18. strangerjames

strangerjames

As a future G19.5 buyer and someone who solely uses 147gr HST as carry/HD ammo, this worries me...

19. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

It could just end up being a bad batch of 147gr HST's.

As I posted earlier, i got a shipment of 124gr +P HST's where they clearly didn't remove the belling left from the bullet seating step. The rounds fed and shot fine (so far), but the taper crimp was not done properly.

Even Federal is not perfect.

Lee Elliott likes this.
  20. strangerjames

strangerjames

Nah, some googling shows that it's happened with 135gr critical duty as well.
    https://www.glockforum.com/threads/gen-5-19-problem.51552/

Another: